What to buy? A little help please =)

smgold101

Reaction score
Hey!
My name is Seth and im gonna be brand new to Ukuleles! So im in college and dont have a lot of money so im lookin to spend around 100 bucks give or take some. I have looked around a little but its hard to know whats good cuase i really have no idea. I understand for my price range i cant get the best but i was wondering if any of you could help me. Im lookin for a concert Uke. I have no idea if these are good but i was lookin around and was lookin at a Lanikia lu-21c and greg bennett UK-70. Either of these good? and is one better then another? Also if you know of something completely different thats good or better and in that price range it would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
Thanks A lot!
Seth :)

Hi and welcome,

getting a Kala or a Lanikai will be a good shot for the money. Check the Kamoa and Mainland ukuleles the UU store here has in stock. Try a forum search for "beginner uke / ukulele" and you will find a bunch of threads with good advice. Read around a bit and you will find a lot of useful information. Happy shopping :music:

Hey cool thanks,
Quick question, Is there a benefit to having a concert one compared to a soprano or vice versa? or is it all preference? Also is one better then another for a beginner?
Thanks!

So i think i have been on this website and youtube for like 5 hours now...and been lookin this stuff up for days. I cant wait longer haha i want my Uke!
So here it is
Kala ka-c
Kamoa- Mahogany soprano (or the pineapple)
Greg Bennett UK-50/70 (one of them)
Lanikia lu-21 c

Again if yal think Soprano or tenor is better for beginners let me know. But i need this thing already lol so im gonna grab some sleep (I have a math exam at 9 tomorrow) and hopefully yal can help me pick one and i can order it tomorrow!
Thanks =)

If you have a shop nearby, please go and try a few to get a feel for sizes. The only sensible thing one can say is: the bigger the uke, the more space your fingers have to move. But this is not a good-bad situation: many formidable players use sopranos, a number of world famous top players use tenors, and others use concerts.
Remember, it's all the same instrument, and you will have fun playing it regardless of the size. In my opinion it is the player's effort (or lack thereof) that will be the deciding factor in the whole "becoming an ukulele god" process. Think about your hand size, your level of commitment, and portability of the uke (try stuffing a tenor into your backpack).
Listen to a few videos, go to a store, pick one you like the sound of, and don't look back.
After some time, if you get bored with the sound after the uke settles in, try some decent strings (again, search function is your pal) and hear what your baby was capable of all the time. Personal tip: don't change them right away, or you will never know what the original sound was.

Just another question, I'm new to Ukes been playing guitar for a long time though. What are a good string brand? I have a 'starter' uke a MAHALO U320.

Lots of floks like the Aquilla strings, but they all sound different on different Ukes you just have to try them to see if you like them.

You can't go wrong with that Kala KA-C, many folks seem to choose the Concert size to start with thinking that a Soprano is to small :eek:(yes I said that).
One thing to think about is that it WILL NOT be your only Uke YOU will be getting more, and going with a Soprano makes it easy to take places and a Sopranos size makes streching over the frets easier.

My 1st Ukulele was a Kala KA-C with Aquila strings and I think it sounds great. The difference is 100% better that the GHS strings that comes standard on the Kala Ukulele

Good luck...

I'm pretty glad I started with a soprano (a Flea to be exact), since they will generally be a little cheaper (not a lot though) and I can take it with me really easily. There might be a little more room on the fretboard with the other sizes, so maybe the soprano could be harder for a beginner for that reason, but I don't have this problem at all with a soprano.

Previous poster is also right that this won't be the last uke you get either! So get something that A) You can afford and B) Isn't so cheap that it will be really hard to play and tune so you won't like it. I think your budget is just about right for a beginner uke, and you'll probably end up with both a soprano and concert later on anyway.

I'd go for the Kamoa or the Kala. Soprano or concert size should be fine; they're pretty similar. I've yet to meet someone who couldn't handle a soprano because he/she was too big.

Top Bottom