My next uke?

bborzell

Reaction score
As uncertain as future uke purchases can be, I am of the opinion that this little Tony Graziano beauty is currently a front runner for the next uke I might buy.

I toyed with buying a Selmer type mandolin for several weeks a couple of years ago. A couple of trips to the dealer a week had me closing in, but a fairly obvious finish flaw finally shut the door for me. But, I really liked the tone coming from the soundhole design.

183153b19ed9e8b2e06af112e47a4db4.jpg

That really has a striking look - though nothing too flashy, the long bridge and tailpiece along with the body shape and slotted headstock..... The sound hole...all of it balances out to be an incredible looking instrument.

I've been researching having a D-hole "Grande Bouche" Selmer-Maccafarri Django style uke made the last couple of months after seeing a band mates. Researching the various builders here in North America, I'm pretty sure I'm going with Bruce Wei Arts in Vietnam, half the price of anyone else, $780 US shipped, 60 day build time. I believe after a lot of research, he'll do a good job, and he says he gives a money back guarantee.

I actually ordered a mandolele from him a couple of weeks ago for $290 shipped as a test run of his capabilities. Should be here in about two weeks. I'm going to add the tailpiece and a preamp/pickup.

Gypsy custom 72.jpg

Mandolele mahogany.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Graziano Koa tenor...that I ordered from Tony directly...he has all kinds of experience and has been building for over 30 years....
since you are in driving distance to Santa Cruz...take a cruise and meet Tony in person...he has a book with a lot of his ukes and ideas in his workshop....and he is one nice guy...
btw he sends his ukes to Addam Stark for the finish, he also in Santa Cruz....and one of the best...make time to visit Rick Turner too....
good luck

Top Bottom