Bruce Wei Solid Acacia Pocket Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I wanted a sopranino and this looked like a nice one. It's from Bruce Wei in Viet Nam who doesn't get many high marks around here. I understand why. Although the uke looks nice, I can only describe the sound as anemic. It plays well and has great action, it's just that the tone is not there. There's a couple of spots of dry glue on the back. I didn't try removing them.

I spent $93 to get this shipped to my house. If you're interested in a little pocket uke that doesn't sound very good, it's yours for $45 shipped to CONUS. Who knows, maybe someone will want to make a lamp out of it.

DSC_0532.jpg DSC_0535.jpg DSC_0536.jpg DSC_0539.jpg DSC_0538.jpg

That is the most honest listing I've ever read. Kudos to you and good luck with the sale. Too bad the sound of it didn't work out.

That is the most honest listing I've ever read. Kudos to you and good luck with the sale.
I agree, the honesty was refreshing. :)

But if you're wanting to try out a sopranino to see if it's right for you, then this sounds like a really good deal. If it "plays well and has great action" then the "anemic" sound shouldn't deter someone who wants to try it.

If I were at all curious, I would have snapped this up. But I'm more of a tenor gal. Concert's okay, but soprano's too small for me so no sopraninos/pocket ukes in my future. :eek:

I bought one, too. It is built heavy: the top is as thick as most soprano top, with the same bracing as a soprano. I tuned it way up, D# G# C F. It's not as loud as the Kala pocket at all, but tuning it up helps. It's fun to play. If you can't find I buyer, you might try a higher tuning, assuming you haven't already.

I have one as well and actually really like it. The original strings on it are not Aquilas and sound god awful. But I put Worth strings on and tuned it to adf#b and it's been really fun to play.

That is the most honest listing I've ever read. Kudos to you and good luck with the sale. Too bad the sound of it didn't work out.

I agree. I feel like giving the seller $5 just for his honesty.

If you sell it then good luck. My experience with various BruceWei instruments is that yes, the strings have to be changed. They aren't real Aquila's and they're awful and it would sound better tuned A,D,F#,B. Actually I have received a couple from brucewei with genuine Aquila's but they were the exception rather than the rule.

Anthony

I have a "BW" and it's actually a very nice uke. Walnut with spruce tenor...very pretty and sounds good...$70 plus $60 shipping. Heckuvadeal!

Did you sell it??

Play around with it first and see if it sounds better with some new strings and tuned up to ADF#B or even CFAD. When I first got mine I wasn't happy with how it sounded and thought about returning it, but once I got new strings on, that really did the trick.

Sorry for the late reply, folks. I work long weekend hours. Looks like it's sold. I'll wait until it's a done deal to close out the thread. Thanks much.

PM returned, Bonesigh.

This uke is sold. Thanks, Bonesigh. It'll be heading your way in Monday's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom