FS: Vintage Gibson Banjo-Uke

myloshylow

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a vintage Gibson UB1 Banjo-Ukulele for sale. It's most likely from around the 1930's since it has a "The Gibson" cursive logo. It has a 6" original skinhead, 10 brackets, dark stained maple rim, neck, and flat plate resonator, 17-fret ebonized fingerboard, pearl dot inlays at frets 5, 7, and 10, 1-1/4" nut width, 12-1/2" scale, ebony nut and original barrel-style tuners with black buttons. It also has a small metal plate labeled "Hunleth Music... St Louis" on the headstock and a yellow "F.E.S" lettering on the resonator (possibly a decal).

Condition-wise, the original skinhead has some tearing at edges near the flesh hoop (seems to keep tension just fine and sounds good) and some rusting & pitting of the metal parts. It plays and sounds good but the action is a bit high for my tastes but that's because the bridge (possibly original or at least very old) seems to be too high. It's an easy fix, just sand the feet of the bridge but I'll leave that to the next owner since some playing styles prefer a higher action. This banjo-uke is in the same condition as when I started owning it.

SOLD

Please email me with any questions or if you would like to see more pictures! Thanks!

Attachments

• 0c6b_1.JPG
    0c6b_1.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 24
  • e6ec_1.JPG
    e6ec_1.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 19
  • e240_1.JPG
    e240_1.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 33
  • eb68_1.JPG
    eb68_1.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 19
  • f0f6_1.JPG
    f0f6_1.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Nice price, I paid $450 for mine in a little better condition and have seen them for sale as high as $675. Such a blast to play. And absolutely the cutest thing ever. Every time I pull mine out at a uke jam everyone is so taken with "Stitch".

Definitely! I have a couple old banjo-ukes and I think these small Gibsons are a blast to play. They surprisingly sound very aggressive and loud for it's size.

Unfortunately, I just don't play this guy at all anymore since I recently purchased a fancy Lyon Healy banjo-uke.

Top Bottom