String tension damage?

CJay

Reaction score
I changed strings on my tenor ukulele today because I was not very happy the Aquilas that came on the uke. They sounded more percussive than ringing to me so decided to switch them.

I picked up some D'Addario T2 Titaniums and put them on. I really like the sound but the tension seems really high. They are harder to fret cleanly and although it could be my imagination it seems like the action is higher. Do I just need to get used to the higher tension or could I be bowing the neck and damaging my uke with these strings?

I remember the T2s as being pretty thick. They may not sit as deeply in the nut slots, leading to higher action and/or intonation problems. My go to strings when swapping out strings is Martin, in the case of a tenor M620. Fluorocarbon, they are thinner than either T2 or Aquila. Martins are pretty widely available and not too expensive (list $15, street $5)

I checked the intonation to see if it was affected and it is still spot on at the twelfth fret. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I love the way they sound. As long as I am doing no damage to the uke I'm willing to get used to the tension and working a little harder at fretting.

I've used T-2's and and J-71's as well as Classical Guitar Strings from D'Addario (EJ46) and Savarez (540J) and had no adverse effects.

This is where TENSION (the amount of force that is put upon the instrument when a string is tuned to a certain pitch) and FEEL (how your fingers perceive them) is different. Because they're a nylon-based string, the tension isn't that far off from a traditional set of black nylon (you can check the tension on the D'Addario website), but due to the titanium put in the material, it adds some stability and stiffness to the string.

Long story short, you should be fine.

I had the same problem with another brand of string. The tension was obviously higher than I was accustomed to playing. It made fretting hard. I switched them out after a very short time.

The earlier comment about the string not sitting fully within the nut slot has a lot of merit - and some concern. One of the problems that can occur is the string getting pinched or even slightly incised at the neck side of the nut when tension is applied during tuning. That makes tuning erratic, the action higher and and increased possibility of string snap.

The better makers will have the nut (and bridge, depending on type) sized for the strings chosen by the maker. Changing strings to those of different diameters means the nut and bridge no longer are sized correctly.

If the strings are fatter they will ride up in the nut and that could contribute to some of the extra stiffness as will the strings being thicker. I tune most of my ukes to aDF#B, you should be fine

Those strings are thick and may not sit down in the nut and yes they are a little stiff but not bad.

I broke an aquila A string so I just put some of the D'Addarios on but frankly I think the Aquilas sound a little better.

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked to see if the strings appear to be seated well in the nut, and to the naked eye they seem fine. Tuning is also smooth as the strings are settling in. I also checked out the tension for the T2s listed on the spreadsheet from another thread and they are listed as having a lower tension than the Aquilas.

Because I really like the sound I'm getting, and it doesn't appear I am damaging the uke, I think I will just learn to be more precise and forceful while fretting. Who knows it may even be good for my playing in the long run.

This is where TENSION (the amount of force that is put upon the instrument when a string is tuned to a certain pitch) and FEEL (how your fingers perceive them) is different. Because they're a nylon-based string, the tension isn't that far off from a traditional set of black nylon (you can check the tension on the D'Addario website), but due to the titanium put in the material, it adds some stability and stiffness to the string.

Long story short, you should be fine.

Makes sense, and good to know. I am not a fan of "stiff feeling" strings and always thought that would directly correlate to tension.

Thanks for all the replies. I've checked to see if the strings appear to be seated well in the nut, and to the naked eye they seem fine. Tuning is also smooth as the strings are settling in. I also checked out the tension for the T2s listed on the spreadsheet from another thread and they are listed as having a lower tension than the Aquilas.

Because I really like the sound I'm getting, and it doesn't appear I am damaging the uke, I think I will just learn to be more precise and forceful while fretting. Who knows it may even be good for my playing in the long run.

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you gun shy. Or something to that effect.

Top Bottom