Things to do and eat at Maui

boogie10

Reaction score
Me and the family will be in Maui and I'd like some suggestions for ono local food and shaved ice. Also, I'm planning to check out the 808UkeJams for a free jam session. Has anyone been to that uke gathering?

The sushi place on Lono St. in Kahului is pretty good for the price. Best food I had on Maui was at the Fairmont Kealani Ko Restaurant, but as a musician I never saw the bill for those meals. Probably bug bucks.

Check out Da 'Ukulele Boyz at the Slack Key Show in Napili. Garret and Peter are both great Hawaiian style players.

Sweet! Thanks for the suggestions Brad. Btw, thank you for the awesome uke lessons on youtube. I've learned quite a lot from them!

Been several years since I ate at Mama's Fish House, but it was always great.

I enjoyed Leilani's most nights in Whaler's village,and T.Komodo bakery is great for cream puffs and malasadas. I really liked the loco moco at Sea House. I had them switch the rice in it to their kitchen sink rice. Plus, Kapalua bay right next to it is a great place to snorkel with lots of sea turtles. Anyway have a fantastic trip!

Did most of my eating at the Pioneer Inn on Front Street in Lahaina. Great vegetarian selection at the time.

Try the Paia Fish Market if you can. Great food and casual atmosphere. We sat next to Joaquin Noah from the Bulls last time we were there. Mamas Fish House is close by.

Wow thx everyone for the overwhelming response! We'll definitely need to try these places out!

I enjoyed Leilani's most nights in Whaler's village,and T.Komodo bakery is great for cream puffs and malasadas. I really liked the loco moco at Sea House. I had them switch the rice in it to their kitchen sink rice. Plus, Kapalua bay right next to it is a great place to snorkel with lots of sea turtles. Anyway have a fantastic trip!

Cream puffs and malasadas! I haven't had those in years! Love how you think :drool:

The best shave ice I have ever had was at Ululani's. I went to the one in Lahaina but I think they also have a Kahului location.

We wanted to do the farm tour of O' O farms in upcountry, but didn't make reservations, so we ate at one of their restaurants in Lahaina, Pacific 'O. We ate lunch there and it was excellent. The Gazebo near Napili Bay is wonderful for breakfast.

I second the drive around the north side of the island and stopping in Kahakuloa at Julia's. 808ukejams is a lot of fun. We've gone for several years and they get better and better. You get a little Hawaiian culture, tradition and chants thrown into the music. We will be there the next two Thursdays. Depending on when you go, Jarrett often leads hikes or trips around the island to play and sign Hawaiian songs written for the spot you are standing on.

Mamas fish for lunch rather than dinner for the slightly cheaper prices (still $$$) in Paia, for dinner go to kimo's in Lahaina, Hulu Grill in Kaanapali. Hula Grill often has live music. Happy hour at Five Palms between Kihei and Wailea - try the ribs. Lunch at any of the Jawz taco trucks around Makena - fish tacos are great but the fish burritos can be split between two people and easier to carry and eat at the beach. Breakfast at Kihei Cafe. Da Kitchen in Kahului or Kihei for more than you can eat Hawaii style.

Slack Key show at Napili Kai for great music on Wednesday nights - they've got an all star show on 6/18. Stella Blues recently closed which had good music lineups. You can find Kanekoa playing in Lahaina for more rocking Hawaiian music. Casanovas in makawao up country can have good music.

Possibilities are endless.

Mamas fish for lunch rather than dinner for the slightly cheaper prices (still $$$)

Slack Key show at Napili Kai for great music on Wednesday nights - they've got an all star show on 6/18. Stella Blues recently closed which had good music lineups. You can find Kanekoa playing in Lahaina for more rocking Hawaiian music. Casanovas in makawao up country can have good music.

Momma's i heard is great there is also Kimo's (which was my favourite meal of life no joke )

Slack key and napli kai was great! and their restaurant isnt too bad either.

you NEED to go to the volacano though WORTH THE TRIP. and if you are doing road to hana keep driving along cause where they say to turn around the roads get different and prettier, and its not that bad of a road (they say its supposedly bad conditions to drive, which it isnt) ive driven way worse.

I second the drive around the north side of the island and stopping in Kahakuloa at Julia's. 808ukejams is a lot of fun. We've gone for several years and they get better and better. You get a little Hawaiian culture, tradition and chants thrown into the music. We will be there the next two Thursdays. Depending on when you go, Jarrett often leads hikes or trips around the island to play and sign Hawaiian songs written for the spot you are standing on.

Mamas fish for lunch rather than dinner for the slightly cheaper prices (still $$$) in Paia, for dinner go to kimo's in Lahaina, Hulu Grill in Kaanapali. Hula Grill often has live music. Happy hour at Five Palms between Kihei and Wailea - try the ribs. Lunch at any of the Jawz taco trucks around Makena - fish tacos are great but the fish burritos can be split between two people and easier to carry and eat at the beach. Breakfast at Kihei Cafe. Da Kitchen in Kahului or Kihei for more than you can eat Hawaii style.

Wconley - I plan to be at the 808ukejams this Thursday. I'll PM you so I can at least introduce myself.

I agree with going to Mama's Fish House for lunch vs. dinner. We did dinner, and while it was really good food, it was dark and we couldn't see anything of the lovely views from the restaurant. Lunch will be cheaper and you could actually see something other than black sky.

I second having breakfast at the Gazebo at Napili Bay (love those macadamia nut pancakes), just be certain to get there early before the crowds arrive. We always manage to have a few meals at the Aloha Mixed Plate which is right next door to the Old Lahaina Luau; they have $3.00 Mai Tai's at happy hour and the atmosphere is great. The Sea House, again on Napili Bay has a reasonably priced (for Maui) happy hour with good pupus and a fantastic sunset view of Molokai and Lanai. If you have any interest in jazz, the Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina has live music on Tuesday night. A sunset sail with Gemini is always the hight point of our visits to Maui....nothing better than viewing the island from the water with a tropical beverage in your hand! Also, the Lahaina Music store has a friendly staff that can give you info on local ukulele jams.

Aloha,
Maui is our favourite place on this planet....you will have a great time.
You've received lots of good advice. As several have said, We also enjoy:
>808 UkeJams thurs nights 7pm at the Keolahou Church, located at 177 S. Kīhei Rd.
> ululani shave ice a few doors North from the church
> actually we really enjoy the Sunday service at the church a real Hawaiian experience with Keki hula and 4-6 ukulele players
>also the views (2000-3000ft. Level up Haleakala> and wood fired pizza upcountry at the Kula Lodge are worth a visit...drive on to the Ulapalakua Ranch and wine tasting ...
> great local plate lunches at the liitle place just west of Wailuku .very friendly-- like most (all?) of Maui..mostly locals somed of the veggies etc. are from their back yard it's take out but there are a few picnic tables-- better yet take the lunch to the international park just before the Io Valley The take out is Waikapu On 30, 1486 Honoapiilani Hwy, Wailuku, Maui, HI
>if you are a good driver, the trip around the North of Maui is amazing.roadside banana bread or coconut cream pie is worth the trip..go clockwise to stay on the inside lane

Enjoy you visit! There is so much to see and do....Haleakala day trip is out of this world
Aloha
Terry

Take it from a Hawaii boy: the path of least resistance is to go to Longs and get some crispy Maui manju, and Foodland for a bento. Good enough for the locals, as auntie's house is for members only!

I went to Longs multiple times. Good prices. Had manju,different packages of colored mochi squares, and choco mochi,POG along with some other stuff. Stopped at another Longs on the way home and bought a bigger container of choco mochi.:D

Top Bottom