adf#b tuning

C.A.McLane

Reaction score
Hi there,

most people in the states seem to prefer the gcea tuning for their sopranos. When I started (2 weeks ago) I only had a German beginners guide which stated that an ukulele is tuned to adf#b. So I did that and got used to it. Then I found out about the gcea tuning and tried it too.
In the end I went back to adf#b for two reasons. Firstly the chords and progressions that I needed most for the songs I wanted to play are easier to play. And secondly because I think the higher sound is sweeter.

I would really like to hear some other opinions about this from more experienced players.

Cheers, Andreas

I started out with gCEA and now play almost exclusively with aDF#B. I like the punch. I play pretty aggressivley and the tighter strings complement that. Sometimes my wife will play gCEA and I'll play an aDF#B uke on the same song, nice variation of timbre. Ever try FBdDG?

I've got one uke I keep tuned to A because it just sounds better tuned higher and for certain songs that I have a hard time singing in regular GCEA tuning. The extra bump can sometimes knock it into a key I can use.

In general though, I find it easier to go with GCEA when playing with other folks just because I have a harder time doing the mental math to transpose chords down a step on the fly. Plus the majority of my ukes sound better with the extra bit of resonance they can wring from the lower tuning.

In general though, I find it easier to go with GCEA when playing with other folks just because I have a harder time doing the mental math to transpose chords down a step on the fly.
I must say that I start to enjoy this mental training when following our guitarist's chords, especially when he plays with a capo. I'm getting better and better each time ;)

I must say that I start to enjoy this mental training when following our guitarist's chords, especially when he plays with a capo. I'm getting better and better each time ;)

I know what you mean, My wife plays a D tuned uke but refers to the names as if they were on a C tuned uke. So when I play a guitar/baritone capoed up I have to think of what the cord is and then tell her the cord name that matches the fingering on the D uke for the right sound but has the name for that fingering as if it were a C uke. Sometimes I think my head is going to explode. :) It gets wild, she also plays left handed, but plays a right handed uke. It's all fun, keep the brain working overtime.

I have a couple C tuned, one D tuned and I've recently cranked the sopranino up to F tuning. I generally just play "shapes" and don't worry much about the chord names unless I'm trying to tell people what chords to play if we're jamming.

I have a couple C tuned, one D tuned and I've recently cranked the sopranino up to F tuning. I generally just play "shapes" and don't worry much about the chord names unless I'm trying to tell people what chords to play if we're jamming.

I absolutely agree with H.H. I also just tune the uke to whatever I want and play the shapes. I don't tend to worry about the names of the chords.

My best tenor is always tuned to F Bb D G. This reduces the tension of the strings and gives the tenor the same sort of "feel" as a concert. I don't play my sopranos that often on YT but I don't have a problem with D tuning or Eb tuning. Both are quite sensible for a soprano.

KEN

Thats the way to do it. I've learned songs on a soprano, tried it on a baritone, liked it better, and now play it there, never worred about the chod names.

My "main" ukulele is C tuned, but I recently tuned one of my others to D. For some of the songs we do, it's the perfect tuning.

As for switching between tunings, I tend to think in terms of I-IV-V, rather than C-F-G. Once I have the shape for the I chord, I'm good to go. That can be very handy, especially since I also occasionally play my husband's G tuned tenor.

Thanks for all the answers. Lots of food for thought.
I totally agree that of course the tuning is not important as long as one plays on his/her own and the key used is OK for ones voice. Since I tend to play together with our guitarist though I have to give more consideration to the key of the songs. At the moment I think I will stick to my a tuning and might invest in a capo to give me more possibilities. If (when) I buy a second uke I will try tuning it to g, providing it sounds good with this tuning. Then I should be sorted for all possibilities. Especially since I tend to remember shapes better than chord names too.
Thanks again, Andreas

Top Bottom