PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Chinese Upright Bass Mods



Timbuck
06-08-2014, 05:47 AM
I normally post on the ukulele pages ..But!! I've bought an Upright Bass on E-bay last week So i'm posting here to keep the moderators happy ;) when it arrived it was in fair condition but not very easy to play..So for the last few days I've been having a go at making it into a better more playable instrument....On first inspection I noted that the bridge was way too high and the fingerboard was as wonky as hell.
in the next few posts..I'll try and explain (with Pic's)what I am doing to fix it.
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/IMG_1125_zps3d7b5d91.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/IMG_1125_zps3d7b5d91.jpg.html)

Pukulele Pete
06-08-2014, 06:19 AM
I have been wanting to try one of those beasts for many years now. I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do.

igorthebarbarian
06-08-2014, 06:36 AM
I would have zero idea how to play this, but I do love the sound (and look) of them!

Timbuck
06-09-2014, 05:04 AM
I did a dimensional survey of the fingerboard I removed the nut and checked it with a straight edge...It was in a right state, there was a lump at the top end near the nut about 4mm high..Not a big deal this could be sanded down level......But! the main problem was the fingerboard extension it scooped up at the bridge end by about 9mm..there was no way I could sand or plane it down as there would be no wood left :(.....So I gave it some thought and decided it needed a truss rod to pull it level....So I got a chunk of hard wood approx: 60mm X 40MM X 20mm drilled a 6mm hole at an angle lengthways and and fitted with Titebond glue to the underside of the fingerboard this took quite a bit of work shaping and sanding to get a good fit.....After the glue had cured I then took length of M5 threaded rod and got to work on the grinder and fashioned the end into a drill bit......This i fed thro' the hole in the wood block and drilled a 4mm hole into the heel under the finger board......I then took another length of the same M5 threaded rod sharpened a taper on the end and screwed hard down into the hole in the heel with a drop of CA glue to hold it in place ..Then I fitted a nut and washer to the rod end and screwed in place..It worked like a charm just one full turn of the nut pulled the fingerboard end almost level :)
Here is an enlarged pic of the M5 drill I made and another of the finished job (so far).http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/IMG_1168_zpsf51df2f9.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/IMG_1168_zpsf51df2f9.jpg.html)
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc143/shiregreenbod/IMG_1151_zpsc5873f93.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/shiregreenbod/media/IMG_1151_zpsc5873f93.jpg.html)