PDA

View Full Version : my first uke

wael
06-08-2014, 08:06 AM
i've just bought my first ukulele and it doesn't sound like a uke at all, isn't a matter of loose or tighten strings it just sounds like a different instrument, is that because of the bad quality strings or there is a problem with my uke?

1931jim
06-08-2014, 09:37 AM
Welcome wael,
What size uke? Soprano,concert,tenor or baritone.? What tuning? What?
Jim.

Ukejenny
06-08-2014, 12:55 PM
What is the brand of instrument? Details and photos will help the good people here at UU get you up and playing quicker. Welcome to the forum!

PhilUSAFRet
06-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Need more info

Louis0815
06-12-2014, 10:43 AM
i've just bought my first ukulele and it doesn't sound like a uke at all, [...] it just sounds like a different instrumentWhere did you get your idea of how a uke should sound?

Walden
06-12-2014, 08:37 PM
When I first decided to take up the ukulele, a few years ago, I bought a First Act at the local Wal-Mart. It was unplayable. I tried sanding the nut. No avail. I went to the music store and bought a Mahalo, which isn't a super instrument but is playable, and I took up playing it right away.

My point? It could, indeed, just be a dud uke.

rappsy
06-16-2014, 05:41 PM
As a new player myself, I learned very early that if you get the cheapest thing you can find, it will be a frustrating experience. You don't have to get the most expensive because you won't appreciate it, but the opposite is worse. There are plenty to choose from that won't break the bank, and if you find out that this isn't for you, you won't be out a lot. Also, there is lots of buying and selling on this forum. This is where I have bought and sold most of my ukes. I even have a buy and trade offer up now, so there is always that option.

The people here are wonderful. It has been a real pleasure for me, and I sometimes think to myself that if I practiced as much as I spend time on here, I would be performing with Jake by now.

Hammond
06-16-2014, 05:57 PM
Sounds like you should get a electronic tuner and start you first practice of tuning it. :) Welcome to UU and the ukulele world

Walden
06-17-2014, 11:12 AM
I think the tuning of it turns off more would-be stringed instrumentalists than just about anything.