Tenor Fluke Questions?

M3Ukulele

Reaction score
Ok, finally decided I needed to try one. Question for owners.......

1. Is the bridge polycarbonate like the body & fretboard? Part of the appeal is the intonation of plastic fretboard with zero fret. Just wondering about bridge. Can adjustments be made to action ?

2. Is there a different tone from painted birch wood to mahogany to walnut. All are laminate...... Thinking I'd like to try walnut!

3. Will uke strap that hooks into soundboard hole and wraps around you neck work with Fluke shape?

4. Thinking walnut neck just to try it. Any real difference with maple neck other than colour?

Thank in advance for comments & opinions.
MT

OK, figured out with more research that bridge is plastic and with zero fret and fretboard no need for adjustments. Most comments are the flea, fluke action and set up is perfect out of the box. Still wondering if there is different tone with birch, mahogany laminate or walnut laminate. I don't know as neck makes much difference so walnut might be cool to have. Different!

Read that perhaps steal tuners might be a upgrade after going thru the MFC appreciate thread. Anybody installed them yet. I have never played with friction tuners so will get stock unit and see how I like them before doing a thing.

Bump.

Still would like to hear about if all laminate tops sound the same on the fluke?

Post Deleted

Last edited:
Thanks for reply Captain. I feel the pull towards a fluke so going to order one up tomorrow. Probably will go with Walnut but will sleep on it. As I have never used friction tunes I will go with stock. Never tried pedhed but read good things but have to keep the total cost of this purchase down for now. Reading The MFC appreciation thread and search on You Tube I found one fellow who modified some grover open gear tuners to fit ( with filing) on his Flea Tenor. I'll see how stock friction appeal to me but always thought the Stealth (mis type above) tuners were pretty good. Would love to see a picture of a flea or fluke with stealth tuners on them.
Cheers

leave the stock tuners on for a while. they are nice when you get used to them.

IMO there is a ton of difference in the sound of various top / bridge / fingerboard combinations. I have done a side by side comparison between a birch laminate top and a walnut laminate top fluke, both tenor and the difference is huge. The walnut has a two piece bridge and saddle and a wooden fingerboard, the birch is pure stock, all plastic. The walnut is much deeper, richer and warmer in sound, the notes are less boomy and it responds to playing loud or soft with a much sweeter dynamic range. I realize this is a very small sample but i have played a few different MFC ukes and IMHO they do vary a lot by material and also as individual instruments.
Bill

Last edited:
I agree with Bill. I felt the same about the walnut. But if you ask MFC about it, they'll tell you there's little, if any, sound difference, and/or they will flat out laugh - I've had that happen several times.

As for the soundhole strap, you can make it work. But personally I found it awkward, especially with the wider Fluke. It kind of worked better with the Flea, but still not ideal. Can't hurt to try YMMV.!

Here's MFC's spec page that might help if you haven't already seen it:
http://www.magicfluke.com/category-s/1830.htm

bnolsen - I will get the unit stock. Never tried the friction tuners… who knows may like them. Many swear by them. I still have option to change.
billten- I think there must be a difference in the tops. I'm trying to keep cost down and keep purpose of Fluke ( take anywhere and not worry about it) so will get Walnut with stock plastic fretboard. Interested in trying the plastic , zero fretboard as everyone raves about how great the intonnation is. Frankly, if you add all the options on a Fluke up you get into a much pricier category. I'm willing to take a shot at the Walnut, never tried a walnut neck and plastic fretboard should be interesting. I can always upgrade or sell off. I'm sure I'd like the sound of Walnut top/wood fretboard as you describe and wonder why they don't offer more solid top options??
peacewearer3 - I like sound hole straps as they are so different than what I am used to playing guitar. I'll post a review and comments on all this once I've had it for awhile….thanks for spec page….. I've been over it a zillion times <g>
Cheers

Top Bottom