College Uke Players

heyitsamike

Reaction score
So... I am graduating high school in 4 days and i am more anxious than ever. I am going to be attending Marist College in the fall (go red foxes~) and i was thinking "what uke am i going to take with me!" (I actually just ordered a new uke from UR so ill probably bring that one xD)

Fun fact, I was at orientation like 2 weeks ago and when they broke the students into groups we all had to say facts about ourselves and one of the girls in my group played uke as well!

Anyone else have any experience of bringing a uke to college, how was it received? any funny/cool stories? any jam sessions?

Well I went to college 45 years ago so times were different, but I brought my guitar and there were many kids who brought guitars with them. I'm sure with today's popularity of ukes there are now even more ukuleles than guitars at the colleges. Playing guitar was one of the best things about my college years. There were always get togethers and impromptu sessions in the dorm rooms. When I went to law school I did not live on campus, but three of the four members of my study group played guitar, and we had a group of classmates that got together on the weekends and played and sang. It was pretty much the only thing I did for fun in those years because I was working and going to school. I'm sure you'll find it is a great way to get to know people and to make friends.

I never brought it to community college, as I didn't own a decent uke. But when I went to Brooks Institute I often brought my ukulele. I am always early, everywhere I go, usually by 15-30 minutes, so I would play outside before class, and often between classes because I lived too far away to go home. I had a friend who played hand drums, and sometimes he would bring one of those little 2 hand drum sets, and play with me. But I never knew enough to keep us occupied for very long. Most of my friends liked to come listen and talk with me though. Brooks is an artsy school, so it was well received, I'm not sure how it would be at other schools.

Anyone else have any experience of bringing a uke to college, how was it received? any funny/cool stories? any jam sessions?

I took my uke to school--my senior year I lived with two music majors and we briefly formed a ukulele/violin band called Godzilla that could expertly play exactly 3 songs, which we did, often and for unwitting strangers on Chat Roulette at 3 AM.

I took my uke to school--my senior year I lived with two music majors and we briefly formed a ukulele/violin band called Godzilla that could expertly play exactly 3 songs, which we did, often and for unwitting strangers on Chat Roulette at 3 AM.

What song did y'all play xD

Post Deleted

Last edited:
If I had brought a ukulele to college I would have gotten my ass kicked.

(Different era, different school).

G'luck at college, heyitsamike. Get ready for some intense stress and pressure on one hand, and some of the randiest times of your life on the other. In college, I've seen -- and experienced--some truly vivid, unexplainable, horrifying yet beautiful things. Stuff that still, to this day, decades later, wakes me in the middle of the night in a drenching sweat, often laughing like a drunken circus clown, sometimes sporting "morning wood". It's all because of college. I am what I am today because of those disgustingly jarring experiences at that dastardly place: I'm a sniveling shell of a man, skittish as a water bug when someone comes up behind me unexpectedly in the dark, yet wild as a March hare if I hear the word "Yuletide" or someone mentions the color "mauve" to my face. Yes, college will always be a part of me, if for no other reason than it stole a part of me, like a burglar of my soul.

May your experience be similarly rapturous, but a smidge less sordid.

Last edited:

That sounds amazing.

Chee pono! I'm in the same boat as you haha. I just graduated this year from a high school in Hawaii and I'm going to UC Irvine this fall!

I have a tenor Kamaka ukulele, but I know I'm probably gonna break it somehow so I bought the cheapest-but-still-viable tenor I could find to bring up to the mainland (it was $100, if you're wondering).

In my experience, whenever I bring my uke on a trip, I'm suddenly the man of the hour or something. Everyone loves it! And no one will make fun of you for bringing a kiddie guitar to a higher institution of learning hahaha

Jam sessions are a near certainty, so I learned some improv stuff to live up to my username xD

I hope you have fun in college bro!

Aloha, Mike!

I had brought my ukulele to college in Oregon from Hawaii and it was an amazing experience. I lived in the "music" dorm and luckily had a ton of dorm mates who loved playing music. Because they didn't know any of the songs I knew, it forced me out of my comfort zone and introduced me to a ton of new music and genres. I eventually joined the Hawaii club band and get to play music for a living (even though my major had nothing to do with music!).

To summarize, bringing the ukulele to college changed my life and created many opportunities. It gave me a chance to meet and collaborate other music players and music lovers. I'm sure the uke is actually even cooler now than it was back in '99 :)

Congratulations and I hope you have a great Freshman year!

Aloha,
Craig

So... I am graduating high school in 4 days and i am more anxious than ever. I am going to be attending Marist College in the fall (go red foxes~) and i was thinking "what uke am i going to take with me!" (I actually just ordered a new uke from UR so ill probably bring that one xD)

Fun fact, I was at orientation like 2 weeks ago and when they broke the students into groups we all had to say facts about ourselves and one of the girls in my group played uke as well!

Top Bottom