PDA

View Full Version : Bette Midler accidentally pimps UU

SamWise
02-13-2009, 02:58 AM
My missus was watching Loose Women (a daytime talk show) yesterday, and they had Bette Midler on. She had her ukulele with her, and played a song. She was talking a lot about what a great instrument it was, so portable, sounds good etc. Then she mentioned that it was really big on the internet. The hosts were kinda laughing about that, and she said something like:

"No really, it's huge! It's like, this sort of underground movement, like a ukulele underground"

I wonder if anyone will google that?

Nuke-ulele
02-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Well, I can take or leave Bette Midler, but that is pretty neat that she recognizes that there is a lot of goodwill for the uke online. She may not be hitting the same demographics, but still neat.

hoosierhiver
02-13-2009, 04:23 AM
Good for Bette!,
I wonder if she will make a submission for the mmmmm..bop contest?

cpatch
02-13-2009, 05:58 AM
Send her a t-shirt!

russ_buss
02-13-2009, 06:00 AM
Good for Bette!,
I wonder if she will make a submission for the mmmmm..bop contest?

lolz, the mmm beneath my bop.

khrome
02-13-2009, 07:46 AM

roflmao!!! she totally should. Someone should invite her to the forum. Didn't she buy a whole bunch of land in Kauai to save it from development? That's pretty cool.

SamWise
02-13-2009, 07:50 AM

pmsl!!!!!!

salukulady
02-13-2009, 08:01 AM
She hits my demographics just fine. She was born and raised in Hawaii. She's played the ukulele for years and uses it in her live shows often. She is devine and should be sent a t-shirt!

MisoHappy
02-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Great, more people laughing at it like it's a toy.

AcousticMonster
02-13-2009, 08:24 AM
I tried to watch some of the episode online...and just couldn't make it past the first ten minutes. :p Are these ladies like the British version of "The View"?

Marie
02-13-2009, 08:37 AM
My missus was watching Loose Women (a daytime talk show) yesterday, and they had Bette Midler on. She had her ukulele with her, and played a song. She was talking a lot about what a great instrument it was, so portable, sounds good etc. Then she mentioned that it was really big on the internet. The hosts were kinda laughing about that, and she said something like:

"No really, it's huge! It's like, this sort of underground movement, like a ukulele underground"

I wonder if anyone will google that?

That's pretty cool!

If anyone wants to see it, I looked it up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wY06Nc4Cdg

it's at 6:20, because the person uploaded the entire episode

then it continues into the first few seconds of part 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkj9alDm9E

I don't think I could watch that show, at all....lol

cpatch
02-13-2009, 09:55 AM
That's pretty cool!

If anyone wants to see it, I looked it up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wY06Nc4Cdg

it's at 6:20, because the person uploaded the entire episode

then it continues into the first few seconds of part 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkj9alDm9E

I don't think I could watch that show, at all....lol
Add #t=6m20s to the end of the first URL to start playing at 6:20

SamWise
02-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Great, more people laughing at it like it's a toy.

That's not what happened. What happened is that 4 demi-nothing celebrities laughed just a little, Bette Midler put them in their place, and then played a song and rocked the place.

rayan
02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
Oh it wasn't an accident... ;)

UkeNinja
02-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Oh it wasn't an accident... ;)
Word has it that even Michael Jackson has an account here, can you confirm that rayan?

lisaxy424
02-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I've never even heard of that show (Loose Women?...nice..lol) But you can't deny that when everyone started singing and clapping when Bette started to play - the ukulele just makes you feel good! :)

I say yay for celebs and ukes - GET THE WORD OUT! :shaka:

GrumpyOldMan
02-14-2009, 02:24 AM
That's not what happened. What happened is that 4 demi-nothing celebrities laughed just a little, Bette Midler put them in their place, and then played a song and rocked the place.
Lesley Garrett is a demi-nothing celebrity :eek: :eek::eek::eek:.
I don't think so. Google her if you don't know who she is.

Ian.

Lanark
02-14-2009, 03:02 AM
Lesley Garrett is a demi-nothing celebrity
I don't think so. Google her if you don't know who she is.

Ian.

Maybe in the UK, but not in the US.

Really just scanning her site she appears to be kind of the Milf version of Charlotte Church or Andrea Bocelli. A bit of classical, a bit of pop. Not my particular cup of poison.

Here in the US, on the other hand Lesley Garrett is not a celebrity at all. Brad Garrett, yes. Lesley Garrett, no.:rolleyes:

njarugby
02-14-2009, 03:13 AM
to be honest i think most poeple in the uk would consider a demi-nothing celeb.

i think she was made 'famous' by appearing on the reality documtary about a a cuirse ship which she happened to be singing on.

anyway loose women is a dreadful program imho. but excellent for having a uke on it!

GrumpyOldMan
02-14-2009, 03:25 AM
But even over here Lesley Garrett isn't really a "Celebrity" as such. She is at the very top of her profession. Yes she is a bit of pop but a lot of classical and sings with the top orchestra's the world over. In no way can she be compared to Charlotte Church who, IMO, IS a Demi-Nothing Celebrity. The Andrea Bocelli comparison is a good one but he too is a top musician before he is a "Celebrity".
Even the other three presenters of Loose Women are high achievers in their own right.
I do agree though that Lesley Garrett is definitely a MILF.

By the way, in the UK being a "Celebrity" is generally regarded as being a bit naff. I think that is the part that shocked me about the original comment as Lesley Garrett is not a celebrity as such. For example Victoria Beckham is a "Celebrity", completely talentless and vacuous but nevertheless famous. Therefore being called a "Celebrity" is actually a bit of a negative in most peoples eyes in the UK.

Ian.

GrumpyOldMan
02-14-2009, 03:26 AM
i think she was made 'famous' by appearing on the reality documtary about a a cuirse ship which she happened to be singing on.
That was Jane McDonald.

SamWise
02-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Jaki Brambles - failed Radio 1 DJ and talk show presenter
Carol McGiffin - former radio dj and talk show panelist
Jane McDonald - famous for being a cruise ship singer

All definitely demi-nothings.

Lesley Garrett (I must admit, I wasn't paying close attention to who was on it), yes, a classical singer, but hardly world renowned. Primarily known to me from the awful crossover album "soprano in a red dress". Bigger than the other three maybe, but not someone I would take seriously (more of a Paul Potts than a Domingo), and CERTAINLY not an opinion former. My point was, who cares if those 4 muppets laughed a bit - a much bigger star was praising it to the skies, won them over, and got them clapping and singing along. It was good for the uke.

GrumpyOldMan
02-14-2009, 08:15 AM
Okay I'll give in on the other three and Paul Potts definitely came to prominence because of "Celebrity" culture but I personally think LG is above being a "Celebrity".
Good to see the Uke on TV though as you say. If you are in the UK did you spot the Baritone Uke on the Alison Krauss programme on BBC4 on Thursday?

Ian.