Bette Midler accidentally pimps UU

SamWise

Reaction score
My missus was watching Loose Women (a daytime talk show) yesterday, and they had Bette Midler on. She had her ukulele with her, and played a song. She was talking a lot about what a great instrument it was, so portable, sounds good etc. Then she mentioned that it was really big on the internet. The hosts were kinda laughing about that, and she said something like:

"No really, it's huge! It's like, this sort of underground movement, like a ukulele underground"

I wonder if anyone will google that?

Well, I can take or leave Bette Midler, but that is pretty neat that she recognizes that there is a lot of goodwill for the uke online. She may not be hitting the same demographics, but still neat.

Send her a t-shirt!

She hits my demographics just fine. She was born and raised in Hawaii. She's played the ukulele for years and uses it in her live shows often. She is devine and should be sent a t-shirt!

My missus was watching Loose Women (a daytime talk show) yesterday, and they had Bette Midler on. She had her ukulele with her, and played a song. She was talking a lot about what a great instrument it was, so portable, sounds good etc. Then she mentioned that it was really big on the internet. The hosts were kinda laughing about that, and she said something like:

"No really, it's huge! It's like, this sort of underground movement, like a ukulele underground"

I wonder if anyone will google that?

That's pretty cool!

If anyone wants to see it, I looked it up on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wY06Nc4Cdg

it's at 6:20, because the person uploaded the entire episode

then it continues into the first few seconds of part 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzkj9alDm9E

I don't think I could watch that show, at all....lol

Last edited:
Great, more people laughing at it like it's a toy.

That's not what happened. What happened is that 4 demi-nothing celebrities laughed just a little, Bette Midler put them in their place, and then played a song and rocked the place.

I've never even heard of that show (Loose Women?...nice..lol) But you can't deny that when everyone started singing and clapping when Bette started to play - the ukulele just makes you feel good! :)

I say yay for celebs and ukes - GET THE WORD OUT! :shaka:

That's not what happened. What happened is that 4 demi-nothing celebrities laughed just a little, Bette Midler put them in their place, and then played a song and rocked the place.
Lesley Garrett is a demi-nothing celebrity :eek: :eek::eek::eek:.
I don't think so. Google her if you don't know who she is.

Ian.

Lesley Garrett is a demi-nothing celebrity
I don't think so. Google her if you don't know who she is.

Ian.

Maybe in the UK, but not in the US.

Really just scanning her site she appears to be kind of the Milf version of Charlotte Church or Andrea Bocelli. A bit of classical, a bit of pop. Not my particular cup of poison.

Here in the US, on the other hand Lesley Garrett is not a celebrity at all. Brad Garrett, yes. Lesley Garrett, no.:rolleyes:

to be honest i think most poeple in the uk would consider a demi-nothing celeb.

i think she was made 'famous' by appearing on the reality documtary about a a cuirse ship which she happened to be singing on.

anyway loose women is a dreadful program imho. but excellent for having a uke on it!

But even over here Lesley Garrett isn't really a "Celebrity" as such. She is at the very top of her profession. Yes she is a bit of pop but a lot of classical and sings with the top orchestra's the world over. In no way can she be compared to Charlotte Church who, IMO, IS a Demi-Nothing Celebrity. The Andrea Bocelli comparison is a good one but he too is a top musician before he is a "Celebrity".
Even the other three presenters of Loose Women are high achievers in their own right.
I do agree though that Lesley Garrett is definitely a MILF.

By the way, in the UK being a "Celebrity" is generally regarded as being a bit naff. I think that is the part that shocked me about the original comment as Lesley Garrett is not a celebrity as such. For example Victoria Beckham is a "Celebrity", completely talentless and vacuous but nevertheless famous. Therefore being called a "Celebrity" is actually a bit of a negative in most peoples eyes in the UK.

Ian.

Top Bottom