High (only) bidder on vintage Martin Style 2

KevinFL

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I was the only bidder on a vintage Martin 2 last night. I think it looks like a really good example, but would like the opinions of those of you who know vintage ukes. Unless I'm mistaken, and with the with the resources I could find online, it appears to be Pre-'32 because it has no logo on the front of the headstock. Even if it had at one point and it was removed (unlikely), it would at least be Pre-'34 since it has bar frets.

Below is the write up from the auction.

"Offered for your consideration is this vintage Martin ukulele. We are not experts in the field, but we believe this to be from the 1920's or 30's era. I have not and will not clean it. I have just brushed some of the surface dust away. It seems to be made of mahogany with white celluloid bands on top and bottom. It looks to be all original. There are no cracks or splits in the wood. It does however have some minor scratches consistent with age. I do not have a case for this. A musician friend of mine played it for a short time and he said it sounds great for such a small instrument. It is stamped C. F. Martin in two places- one being at the top of the tuning keys and the other inside as you look in the sound hole. We are not sure what model number this is, but you collectors will know.

It is 20 3/4" long. It weighs 10.4 oz.
This would make a great addition to your vintage Martin collectibles."

There was only one question posted and answered, but in that reply, they mention receiving at least one other email regarding the bridge.

Q: Any cracks/splits/warping or joint separation? Is all the celluloid binding tight to the body?(no gaps?) Jun-05-14

A: Hello, Looked at the uke very closely. I see no cracks or separations. The neck loooks very flat and is not warped or twisted. The celulloid is tight to the body with no gaps. Another thing I should mention is, another Ebayer thinks that the bridge is not the original. Thank you for your interest. Dale

It has some scratches and fretboard wear which are non issues for me considering the age. I can always have a period correct bridge installed later whether it be an original that's salvaged, or a new one made from a template. It appears the bridge is the only issue this thing has. And if it was installed properly and works as it should, it's not much of an issue.

Here are some pics…

Complete Front.jpg Complete Back.jpg Complete Up Side.jpg Complete Down Side.jpg Lower Bout Angle.jpg

Last edited:
I may not know Nunes, but I know something about Martins (see my signature...lol).

I don't think that's the original bridge. So no icing. lol.

That said, it's a great ukulele. I have a few Martin 2s (one coming in the mail in about 12 hours!), love them.

Good for you for investing in vintage ukuleles and fixing some of the stuff, like the Harmony, yourself. I do the same thing.

Cheers, Kevin.- Steve

PS You must get the Walsh/King Martin Uke book, fascinating catalog of all the bridges, and the tuners and the dates and production numbers, the legendary stories, etc.

Last edited:
Looks nice. Re: the bridge: it may be the original bridge with a sloppy repair. The holes in the tail end of the bridge where the knots sit tend to get enlarged and eventually useless. One fix is to attach a new piece of wood over the top of the slots. It could be what's going on. Or it could be a replacement.

One fix is to attach a new piece of wood over the top of the slots. It could be what's going on.
That, too, is a strong possibility, yes--it seems the saddle and the original curve of the bridge is still there. I see schmutz along the bridge edges, too, indicating a so-so glue job.

KevinV knows just the man to make it new again. lol

Not original bridge judging from pics. Nice uke though, shouldn't stop you. However, if it is the original bridge with a piece of wood over the top to fix the messed up slots, the original bridge question is now made moot. It should have a replica bridge crafted and installed if you wanted to keep it original. A bad "original" bridge is no longer a desirable thing. You should get this one for a decent price.

Yeah I was gonna bid on that but I need the funds to repair a Martin I just shipped to a luthier and another that has been sitting in a guy's shop for 5 months he still hasn't finished. I agree it looks like a thin piece of wood glued on top of the original bridge.

Last edited:
Yeah I was gonna bid on that but I need the funds to repair a Martin I just shipped to a luthier and another that has been sitting in a guy's shop for 5 months he still hasn't finished. I agree it looks like a thin piece of wood glued on top of the original bridge.

Glad to hear we didn't end up in a bidding war.

I have a vintage Nunes in for repair right now but was able to justify based on the Koa vs Mahogany aspect of the 2 ukes. I still had plans to buy a Martin, but was unsure between new or vintage. I like the idea of vintage if it's a good player.

I've been reading some good threads on the Martin Guitar Forum's "Four String Farmhouse", and if I'm reading the finish on this correctly, as I see no lacquer checking whatsoever, it would but the build date between '23 (introduction of nickel tuners) and '27 (introduction of nitro lacquer finish). There's obviously room for error, but it's fun trying to pin it down.

The auction ended last night. What would you consider a decent price for this uke?

You did good, mainly due to the bridge. That puts folks off. Had the seller replaced it with a replica bridge, it would have gone higher than 500, even noting it as such. '20s Style 2 is a very nice uke. Don't be put off with replacing that monstrosity of a bridge.

Last edited:
Kevin,
Here's what I would consider:

Assuming that it is the original bridge with a new piece glued on, I would try to keep what you can of the original bridge and do a more sophisticated repair like this one:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/album.php?albumid=1220&attachmentid=23646
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/album.php?albumid=1220&attachmentid=23644
before doing an outright replacement.

If it can be done, you will preserve the original bridge to body bond and the original geometry. On the other hand if the intonation is imperfect, or if the bridge is unsalvageable, it's time for a replacement.
Cost might be the similar either way. In the uke pictured, I brought it in before I had a clue what my grand-dad had left me, and fortunately the luthier insisted on doing the least invasive thing possible to fix it.

enjoy!

Looks like the original saddle stuck on a spare chunk of wood with holes drilled in it.

Martin makes replacement parts for guitars. Would be worth calling them and see if they will ship you a new bridge. or Ken Timms might sell you one.

If it works well , I would leave the bridge just as it is. IMHO .

I think you got a great deal. If you do some research and call different luthiers, you may find one that has a correct, period bridge to replace that one.

I would suggest trying Frank Ford at Gryphon Stringed Instruments, Dave Musselwhite, Dave Strunk at Brothers Music Shop in Pa. And Frank Finocchio in Pa. Frank Ford is (arguably) the best in the business and Dave, Dave And Frank Finocchio are all highly respected former Martin repair department employees.

Here's a link to an article on Frank Ford's frets.com site, detailing the process of re gluing a bridge.

http://frets.com/FretsPages/Luthier/Technique/Ukulele/ReglueUkeBridge/reglueukebridge.html

Web sites:

http://www.gryphonstrings.com/repairs_restoration/services.php

http://brothersmusicshop.com/

http://www.finocchioguitar.com/2014/repairs.html

Dave Musselwhite doesn't have a website, but I could get his phone number for you if you need it.

All of these guys also hang out on the UMGF as well.

Scooter

I really appreciate the insight guys, thank you. And Scooter, thanks so much for the recommendations and links. That replacement tutorial is very good. I'm tempted to try it myself, but still have some reservations. I'll wait for it to get here so I can tell for sure what's going on. Delivery is scheduled for Thursday.

I can recommend David Newton on Vintage Martin Uke Repairs. He did repairs on my Vintage Martin Tenor and my 5k. Very pleased with the work. You can reach me at 713-501-7963 if you have any questions.

Top Bottom