Kamaka Question

dgwegs953

Reaction score
So, I just purchased this online and didn't think to thoroughly check it and question it. Now I am wondering if I got jipped or if this is a real kamaka.

The double "k" at the top looks like a very thin sticker but is worn just as the uke is (so it looks aged), is that normal? The guy told me it was built in 1969 or 1970, but there are no date markings. The tuning pegs look like they are plastic. "kamaka ukulele" sticker inside is in red and black lettering and looks to be tattered and to the same age look as the uke itself. It says Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A. on the bottom of the label. It's rather small, looks more like a keiki uke. It is approximately 20" long at longest and 6 and 5/8" wide at widest.

Is there anything that can tell me if this is real or not and what it is made of?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-09-21-52-34.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-06-09-21-52-34.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 134
  • IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 104
Hopefully MM Stan will chime in...he the expert...haha
never saw a bridge like the one you have....

It looks legitimate. It is Kamaka's standard size, also known as a soprano. The white label, headstock sticker, and lack of date would date it sometime between 1969 and 2000. I think the curved end of the fretboard would place it earlier in that period, like early 70s. The tuning pegs look original. The Kamaka Keiki models are the same size, but they are mahogany. They have a different sticker as well.

Last edited:
I'd also say you have a nice little circa 1970s -90 Kamaka soprano with a very pretty bridge and some nice subtle flame in the top. The white tuners look 70s too. VampireW above is 100% correct on all the above, I am agreeing. You have a winner, treat her nice! :D

Looks like a fine White Label to me. Those headstock decals are notorious for flaking, or disappearing completely. Sopranos are tiny (especially if you're used to concerts or tenors). Nice ukulele!

Nice little Kamaka white label. Those tuners will allow MMStan to narrow it down for you. My 71-72 has the Grover Champion Deluxe style tuners.

It's and early 70's...if the sticker is not replaced and original...between 70-74 model...probally 70 or 71
however it has a mid 50's style neck and headstock crown also a 50's soundhole...
Okay it seems the bridge and nut is not original and it was probally fixed in the 70's and someone replaced the
the missing gold label with a white label....

Last edited:
Very sweet looking Kamaka. Looks like the factory matched the woods nicely.

When I was talking with one of the Ladies over at Kamaka one day, I asked about date stamping. She said, typically the worker would write the date in with pencil, mainly on the heal block, however, much of the time they didn't write anything. I started looking really close at mine, and there it was. Faint but you can clearly read "Nov 1961".

Top Bottom