First Uke Build / Something a little different

play4fun

Reaction score
I finished my first uke. I machined the body from a solid block of aluminum. The neck is Honduran mahogany and the fret board is rosewood. What do you think?

Attachments

• new uke web.jpg
    new uke web.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 250
I really like the look of it! Have any more pics? I assume it's pretty quiet unplugged. Is it a piezo pickup? What type of preamp did you use?

Love it. Amazing workmanship, classy looking. Wow, you are very talented. I would imagine this thing would easily accommodate metal strings and a magnetic pickup. Let's hear it.

Nice! Definitely need more pics and details!

VERY NICE. I'm not much for electrified ukes, but this thing is really unique. You are obviously a machinist, now you are a luthier. Any chance we could see some more pics showing the whole uke? Great job.

That is seriously cool. How does it sound?

attachment.php

Vampire- Yes it is very quiet unplugged. I used a LR Baggs 5-0 under saddle pick-up with a built in preamp.

PhilUSA- I am going to make another one with a mag pick-up and metal strings.

I will try to get some more pics up later tonight and some audio from it over the weekend. Although I am an experienced machinist, I have only been playing the uke since last summer and I am still not very good. Maybe I can find someone with some more experience so you can hear how it really sounds.

I have been building 2 of these ukes at the same time and I am trying to finish up the 2nd one. It is almost the same except it has a 14" radius on the fretboard. When machining parts all of the work is in the setup and programming. Whenever I am making one of something, I will always run at least 1 extra, in case something happens to the 1st one. This time I have been luck and both sets of parts were good.

That is really really cool. Could you share more photos with us?

Dane- With the round knobs it is surprising how fast it is to wind on some new strings.

iscottwilder- I have been asked by a few people who would like to buy one, what the cost would be. The aluminum body, knobs, etc. are easy because I am already setup to do production machining (I manufacture tripod heads). The wood parts were very time consuming, although I enjoyed the process, it would not be very profitable. I would have to find somebody to make the wood neck and fretboard. So, I am unsure if I would be able to offer them for sale.

I will try to take some more pics tomorrow.

Thanks Jim, I will contact Mainland.

As I mentioned earlier I was building 2 of these ukes at the same time. I just finished the second one (the same as the first except it has a 14"R fretboard and different tuners. balck tuners copy.jpg

nice piece of work. i assume the finish is powder coat rather than anodized?

Top Bottom