Vintage Solid-Mahogany Pineapple Soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommy B

Reaction score
SOLD

Hi everyone. I'm selling off a few ukes to pay for an impulse purchase. This is a pretty scarce vintage pineapple soprano by Aria in really clean condition. It bears the company's earliest name, "Arai," which also was the name of its founder. According to Lardy's database, this pineapple dates from 1956. This is the earliest non-Hawaiian pineapple uke I've seen, and it's really a sweet player and collector.

The uke is solid mahogany throughout, with what looks to me like rosewood on the fingerboard, bridge, saddle and nut. The tuners have been replaced with newer Grovers (no modifications done to uke), as I found the uke with only three of its original tuners. Those will be included as well.

The action on this uke is superb, very low throughout the fingerboard without any buzzing. The tone is sweet, owing to both the aged wood and the big sound box.

The only issue I can find is a very fine grain split (pictured) on the side near one of the bends. It is closed and very hard to see. Also, on the back, there is what looks like a small dent, but it appears to be a factory mark as the finish is undisturbed and there's no sign of impact.

This is a pretty unusual and high-quality pineapple uke, and it's a delight to play. Sorry, no case.

Please PM me with any questions. Thanks for looking. -- Tom

IMGP2007.jpgIMGP2008.jpgIMGP2016.jpgIMGP2022.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! If I wasn't selling ukes right now...I'd be all over this one. Wish I had the cash!

I can't believe you are selling this uke in very nice condition, vintage, all solid wood, & collectable for less than the cost of a stock FLEA. This one should be GONE by now.

Good luck on your sale Tommy B.

Last edited:
Thanks, warndt. I think vintage Japanese ukuleles are still an untapped collector's market. There were a lot of great-sounding solid-wood ukes made under the names Aloha Royal, Maxitone, Yamaha and, of course, Kamaka Keiki. I've owned a bunch of them, and this Arai ranks right up there in sound and beats them all for playability. And, it's the first pineapple I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom