FS: Vintage Martin Style 2 approx 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
This is a 1950-something Martin Style 2 soprano ukulele. It's lovely, but I just bought a baritone and need to justify it to my wife by selling something (anything!).

It is with gorgeous, aged mahogany (not available in today's ukuleles), striated and good, and has Aquila Strings on it and sounds fabulous. Original tuners. It has a crack on the back that has been repaired at some point (no cleat) in the past (see pic), and has two other areas of checking only on the back that are too small to photograph. It has an original chipboard case. It has none of the other issues that one associates with older ukes such as topwood strum rash, indented fingerboard, etc. Just good looking and playing. (Pristine 1950s Style 2s are available occasionally, usually around $1200)

I envision this for the collector who wants a Style 2 in their collection, and for someone who loves to play ukuleles, it plays so sweetly. If the words repaired crack scare you, it's likely not for you. lol It will maintain its value, and will likely appreciate. It is already 60 years old.

No trades, please. Price is a reasonable $849, Paypal fee to Buyer, and USPS Parcel shipping with Tracking and Insurance in the CoNUS to me, seller.

Cheers to all! Steve

Last edited:
$_57.jpg Picture #1

Attachments

• MartinStyle2s 023.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 023.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 217
  • MartinStyle2s 012.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 012.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 155
  • MartinStyle2s 013.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 013.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 138
  • MartinStyle2s 022.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 022.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
$_57 (7).jpg The case, vintage

I'm selling more than one Martin soprano and haven't the ear to tell you which sounds better; they both sing like loud birds outside a bedroom window.

Attachments

• MartinStyle2s 021.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 021.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 83
  • MartinStyle2s 019.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 019.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 107
  • MartinStyle2s 018.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 018.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 127
  • MartinStyle2s 020.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 020.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
$_57 (6).jpg The soundhole

Attachments

• MartinStyle2s 017.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 017.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 79
  • MartinStyle2s 016.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 016.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 64
  • MartinStyle2s 015.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 015.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 74
  • MartinStyle2s 014.jpg
    MartinStyle2s 014.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
I owned a 50's soprano and a tenor. Both were very nice instruments. Good luck with your sale!

Thank you, ukegirl. I appreciate the kind words about the instrument.

Glenn, I'm sorry I just saw your request for sound sample now. I'm out of town, and the Ukulele is actually at home. I'll see what I can do when I get home using my iPad. I have no great recording set up but I'll give it a whirl.

This Ukulele is still available and anyone interested might compare the price with others for sale, also styles two, on eBay or other marketplaces. I think they will see the value here. Thanks.

Hey there, Steve. I may well be interested in snapping this one up but a question - have you strung this one with Fremont Blacklines? I'm not much a fan of Aquilas due mostly to their diameters and loosey-goosey feel. That's some gorgeous mahogany on that one...............

Hey there, Steve. I may well be interested in snapping this one up but a question - have you strung this one with Fremont Blacklines? I'm not much a fan of Aquilas due mostly to their diameters and loosey-goosey feel. That's some gorgeous mahogany on that one...............

Sorry, Buc...I just saw this post. And Glenn, too. I'd be happy to change the strings to Blacklines and give a sound sample by FaceTime or Skype, live and in the flesh. The mahogany is stunning...I cannot capture it well on the photos but I can try by FT or Skype. Just PM me if interested. Thanks.

Last edited:
This is an amazing ukulele at an amazing price. There's something about the style 2s. Every one that I've played rings true and plays beautifully.

Darn it, if I had the money right now is buy this one and your new 2m Steve. Amazing ukuleles.

As for strings, whoever buys this may want to try Martin M600's they sound great on vintage Martins. And you can buy with confidence from coolkayaker1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom