Where do you play?

niwenomian

Reaction score
I found a new way to get in a few more strums each day!

So, I usually play in my office each day at lunch for an entire, glorious uninterrupted hour each weekday.....but, lately, I've managed to sneak in an extra session at the pool while my kids are at their swim team practice.

People seemed interested, one of the little swimmers saw my case on a table, nodded toward it and asked, "...that a ukulele?" Then he says that he's got one too. He brought it in the next day and played "When the Saints go marching in" for me.

So, it feels pretty good that I've found another time and place to play, especially because my active kids keep me pretty busy. I like that there are some people around, but it's not like I'm performing for anyone.

I'm interested in your stories about times and places you sneak in an extra uke session.

Nick

Amen! That is wonderful, Nick! I play at home. I've played for my son's scout troop. I've taken it to a family swim party.

One of the best things I came up with was to take it along when I'm waiting in car line to pick up my boys from school. In warm weather, I actually got a Facebook comment or two from other parents in my town, thanking me for the ukulele concert. I've gotten a lot of really valuable practice time in sitting in that van.

The absolute best thing I've done so far is to start a ukulele club. I was lonely and wanted others to play with. We started out small and now have quite a few showing up every two weeks. I've met some great people and we have a great time.

Where do I play?

Front porch. Living room. Back yard. In church, sometimes. At the monthly Guitar jam (We are going to have to call it something else, 2 of the guys just bought ukes, too). Friends picnics & get-togethers. At the Senior Center where I volunteer.

My front porch playing - really just "plinking" around - has gotten more than a few interested comments from passersby, we live about 150 feet from a well-known Crab House here in Delaware.

The durned things almost always get a comment from someone and can get some great conversations going.

bobinde

Thanks Ukejenny! What did you play for the scouts? I once played guitar for my son's Cub Scout pack dressed in full caveman costume. The Bubba teeth I was wearing made it really hard to sing, though.

I've been going out of town to play with other uke club because we don't have one here. I guess it's clear what needs to be done about that, eh?

Nick

I'm always envious of those who play at work during their lunch hour. I work from home mostly and don't exactly have a lunch hour, but my ukes all live on shelves above my desk and are always there for me when the workday ends :) Most of my playing takes place at home.

Aside from that, I play in an ensemble that meets weekly at a local shop, and am also working on a project with a couple other musicians I rehearse with weekly. And I sometimes get extra uke time in at the beach or when meeting up with friends for hikes (I keep a beater uke in the trunk and pull it out whenever I arrive early, which sadly isn't often enough!).

Getting strap buttons and a strap really widened my range. I can wear it in the car (over my seatbelt!) so I can play during my morning traffic jam. I walk around the neighborhood playing it (yep, I'm that lady). I, too, play at lunch hour, at school pickup, in airports, in a monthly group...basically wherever I can squeeze in a few moments.

Yes. Sometimes I consider whether my ukulele could splinter and murder me, should I get into a crash. But somehow death by ukulele doesn't sound so bad and I just go on playing.

Man some of you really get out there and do it, good on ya. I am fortunate to live next to Toronto as there three different uke jams, a weekly jam, another one every second week and a different one once a month. Other than that I day everyday in my kitchen. I am thinking of getting a car-uke to keep within handi reach. I am an outside sales rep and have down times between appointments I could be playing.

A great reason to buy another uke, I have already been looking. What do you guys think of a concert fluke for that purpose

Last edited:
At work....for now...the "powers that be" are reviewing my right to play for my patients and families....seems I'm supposed to be a Certified Music Therapist to know how to handle the outcomes....the person who told me this and "flies a desk" forgot that nurses are trained to handle the stuff that comes at them...and their patients.

I play my Ukes in my music room; the sorprano in the evening (neighbors). I play my other instruments in our bedroom and/or master bathroom (good sound) (different neighbors). I've been looking for Some kind of club or group close by.

I play my Ukes in my music room; the sorprano in the evening (neighbors). I play my other instruments in our bedroom and/or master bathroom (good sound) (different neighbors). I've been looking for Some kind of club or group close by.

Are you saying you play in a different neighbors master bathroom. Progressive community you leave in there brother.

Ever since they banned driving and texting in my state I've had a lot time on my hands while driving, so I started playing train themed songs on my uke while driving. I use the horn for the train whistle by hitting it with my elbow. Steering with the knees is OK on the straights, but the turns are kind of jerky and slow. Hardest part is lighting and flicking ashes off my cigar. It would all be a lot easier with electric windows and an automatic trans.

Woo, woo, with the horn, and get a good chug, chug, chug, chug strum going as I build speed, woo, woo with the elbow, slam it in the next gear and keep that strum chugging. It's especially fun after a long night shooting billiards at the pub.

Play at home on my balcony, play in the nook in the bedroom, play three times a month with three different meetup groups here in town and plan to play soon on my outrigger canoe (that's what the outdoor uke is for, dont'cha know!?)

One of my favorite times and places to play is right here in the living room when I'm winding down from work (I get home around 2130). The girls have gone to bed, the dog's asleep, the chickens are tucked in for the night, and my mealworm empire has been tended to. I enjoy nothing more than to enjoy a few IPA's and listen to the sweet sounds of the ukulele.

Aside from that, I play outside for the chickens, at work on the weekends when things are slow. Sometimes alone, sometimes with a coworker who has taken up the uke. Sometimes it's for ourselves, sometimes to entertain patients. It's all good. Now I'd really like to get a local uke jam going. There's one quite a drive from me and it's on a night that I have to work. So at the moment, there's no good option for getting together with other ukulists.

Man some of you really get out there and do it, good on ya. I am fortunate to live next to Toronto as there three different uke jams, a weekly jam, another one every second week and a different one once a month. Other than that I day everyday in my kitchen. I am thinking of getting a car-uke to keep within handi reach. I am an outside sales rep and have down times between appointments I could be playing.

A great reason to buy another uke, I have already been looking. What do you guys think of a concert fluke for that purpose

You're fortunate to have those jams to go to. I'd love that opportunity. And as for the Fluke, I think it would be a fine choice. I had a flea at one point and used it as my all weather, carry around uke.

Aside from monthly uke jams, I mainly play at home in my living room where I have a little "music corner" set up.

But I started taking a uke with me and showing up early before a weekly support group I attend at a nearby senior center. Usually I play in the lounge area, but today there was someone already playing the piano, so I went out to the patio and played there.

Recently I walked to the nearby college and played on a shaded bench and it was nice. I'll do that again. :)

Forgot to mention: I have a friend who says she plays in the bathtub. Now that's a threshold I have yet to cross.

Top Bottom