NUD: Kamaka

buc mcmaster

Reaction score
Hurrah! A new ukulele arrived yesterday: Kamaka HP-1D Pineapple Deluxe. The first pineapple I've laid my left-handed hands upon.....pretty nice. Did not like the factory strings at all (Kamaka, I assume). Quite large gauges with terrible intonation. Whipped on a set of Fremont Blacklines Hi Tension (my fav string for my other sopranos) and bingo! Very good intonation, great clarity and note separation, a bit better volume and much better sustain. Sounds a little tight, which I attribute to it being new wood, and I'm thinking it will open up nicely in time.

If I could change one thing it would be the machine heads. I much prefer a lighter machine like Pegheds or just straight up friction pegs, but I can live with these...........

.....and here's the new Kamaka with the first uke I ever bought, a Collings UC3K in sunburst....... Kan you say K-O-A?

Sweet! I'm hoping to add a pineapple soprano (longneck) to the stable soon - but not a Kamaka. congrats!

Buc, that Collings is probably the nicest "first" uke I've ever seen! Congrats on the new pineapple. She's no slouch either. Happy playing!

-Steve

Hurrah! A new ukulele arrived yesterday: Kamaka HP-1D Pineapple Deluxe. The first pineapple I've laid my left-handed hands upon.....pretty nice. Did not like the factory strings at all (Kamaka, I assume). Quite large gauges with terrible intonation. Whipped on a set of Fremont Blacklines Hi Tension (my fav string for my other sopranos) and bingo! Very good intonation, great clarity and note separation, a bit better volume and much better sustain. Sounds a little tight, which I attribute to it being new wood, and I'm thinking it will open up nicely in time.

If I could change one thing it would be the machine heads. I much prefer a lighter machine like Pegheds or just straight up friction pegs, but I can live with these...........

im drooling you are one lucky person!!!! beautiful I hope won day I will be able to afford a kamaka pineapple amazing!

Sweeet! You are building a stable of very nice ukes, my friend!

John

But those factory strings - just awful.

It's a bit puzzling that Kamaka sticks with these nylon strings. I just tried a set on a Kanile'a concert, and thought they were just terrible. However, I have heard sound samples and comparisons to other strings where they sounded quite nice, so maybe some people like them. :confused:.

Personally, I don't care for the feel of them. They seem a lot better for strumming than finger picking, and it's more difficult for me to get optimal tone out of them. I still occasionally try out different strings, but I'm getting to a point where it feels like a waste because I'm never quite happy until I go back to Savarez.

-Steve

It's a bit puzzling that Kamaka sticks with these nylon strings.

Yes, it is. They go to all the time & trouble to build a nice ukulele and string it with terrible strings. Can't figure that myself.

I think I've hit my uke ceiling with this Kamaka. A Collings concert, Kamaka pineapple for "modern" instruments, and a pair of old Gibson sopranos: Uke 2 from the 40s and a 30s-something Poinsettia (currently with Jake Wildwood for some fret work). There is definitely a contrast of tone between the old and the new!

Beautiful pair! I have a kamaka soprano that I play with living water strings, but I am playing the blacklines on my koaloha. I wonder how the blacklines would sound on the kamaka....please let us know how you like that combo.

You have nice taste in ukes, for sure. Happy strumming.

Nick

Top Bottom