HMS custom leather strap

fretie

Reaction score
I've been eying up this leather strap sold by HMS:
http://www.theukulelesite.com/custom-leather-ukulele-straps.html

I use straps on all my ukes and was thinking this would a good one for my tenor which now sports a not that handsome guitar style strap.

Anyone got one of these handmade straps and, if so, how do you like it?

I'm very interested in finding medium width straps. I don't like the size of guitar straps, and mandolin straps are just too small. Right in between is perfect for me, and I'd love to get a nice well made leather one.

So I'm also interested in peoples thoughts on these straps.

Been thinking of ordering a nice plain leather strap and breaking out my wood burning tool. Any number of designs could be found online and transferred to it for "burning."

These look really nice. The ore I play, the more the need for a strap seems evident. Love the pineapples.

It's a cool looking strap....you cant go wrong....I use a strap on all but my soprano, and maybe it should have one, it's high gloss....

I'd actually like to make one myself or get one personalized somehow, make it my own. Doesn't need to be fancy though.

I'd actually like to make one myself or get one personalized somehow, make it my own. Doesn't need to be fancy though.

Yeah, it'd be totally cool to have a custom personalized uke strap. Anyone know a leather artisan that might be into doing that?

Yeah, it'd be totally cool to have a custom personalized uke strap. Anyone know a leather artisan that might be into doing that?

I found a few custom strap makers online, but they are all 2" + width. I also looked into local leather working shops. I'm sure they could make something up for me, a guitar strap isn't complicated or anything.

try etsy there are loads of people who work with leather on there.

Here is my latest strap acquisition (for my Martin) very pretty and not super expensive considering how unique and pretty they are. They come from Thailand. I was tempted by the elephant strap they had but wound up getting this one:

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/207579853

il_570xN.457030168_9vmb.jpg

I just do not get the need for straps for a ukulele.....!!

Sorry ...but it is something that I have noticed since returning to the uke in 2010.......
more sizes (not an issue ) ..although the choice used to be soprano or banjouke when I first started .......and a strap ....pshaw ...

I 'played' for about 10 years from '72 to '82 then binned it....returned in 2010 tentatively on and off and then just last year in October really got back into it ....but the strap thing just eludes me ....if you like them and you want them fine....perhaps it's me....

I just do not get the need for straps for a ukulele.....!!

Sorry ...but it is something that I have noticed since returning to the uke in 2010.......
more sizes (not an issue ) ..although the choice used to be soprano or banjouke when I first started .......and a strap ....pshaw ...

I 'played' for about 10 years from '72 to '82 then binned it....returned in 2010 tentatively on and off and then just last year in October really got back into it ....but the strap thing just eludes me ....if you like them and you want them fine....perhaps it's me....

Certain playstyles will make it mandatory, especially when standing and performing. It's secure, it's one less thing to worry about and lets you focus on your creativity, instead of the physics of holding an ukulele up. Also, some ukuleles (cheaper ones) or larger ukuleles have very heavy necks and because of their poor balancing it's almost required in order to make them enjoyable to play.

If you don't like straps, that's fine. But it has a legitimate purpose and people like them.

Certain playstyles will make it mandatory, especially when standing and performing. It's secure, it's one less thing to worry about and lets you focus on your creativity, instead of the physics of holding an ukulele up. Also, some ukuleles (cheaper ones) or larger ukuleles have very heavy necks and because of their poor balancing it's almost required in order to make them enjoyable to play.

If you don't like straps, that's fine. But it has a legitimate purpose and people like them.

Well ....thanks for your generosity .......However I did not say that I did not like straps or people that use them..... I might be misreading a certain tone of admonishment into your reply...I merely expressed my view that I do not understand the need for them ....

I will go further and suggest that they are an example of a successful marketing ploy by very astute ukulele minded business people and that perhaps nowadays people pick up the uke and strap it on from day one before learning to hold it without a strap ....tempus fugit and all that....and please ..I don't want to fall out with you over this ...but I have never found a need ....whatever style I am playing......even with a banjo uke....and I own one very slippery-backed mother...

I am not criticising the strap-on, I am expressing my point of view in the interest of conversation........

Been thinking of ordering a nice plain leather strap and breaking out my wood burning tool. Any number of designs could be found online and transferred to it for "burning."

Hey , seriously , does that work well on leather ?...similar technique and everything ?.....I have only had one try at woodburning and enjoyed it , but I like the idea of leather ...I can feel a pair of plain old saddlebags coming on and a wicked design.....

Take a look at www.sullysstraps.com. New leather straps and straps made with vintage leather. I have no connection with them. They just make nice looking straps.

I agree, Dane. I play soprano mostly and find no need for a strap, especially around the house or at a jam. However, in my last band I played tenor uke exclusively and between mic adjustments, pre-amp fiddling, beer reaching, and sweat wiping, the strap was a must. After installing a MiSi and a button on the heel of the neck, I was good to go. And I always liked Levy straps. I found the youth model to work perfectly with a tenor uke. I see Levy's offers uke straps now, but at the time, uke straps were quite limited. The guitar strap worked perfectly and I still use it.

Top Bottom