Joss Whedon - Dollhouse

khrome

UU+
Reaction score
Dollhouse premieres tonight - try to catch it if you can. Joss Whedon got screwed out of a better timeslot by FOX so now it's going up against 24, in the middle of a season. It can use as much rating support as it can.

The show has gotten good reviews - Joss never disappoints. Here is a description from the website:

Joss Whedon, creator of the groundbreaking cult favorites, "Buffy the Vampire Slayer," and "Firefly," returns to television and reunites with fellow "Buffy" alumna, Eliza Dushku, for a thrilling new drama, DOLLHOUSE.

ECHO (Dushku) is an "Active," a member of a highly illegal and underground group of individuals who have had their personalities wiped clean so they can be imprinted with any number of new personas. Hired by the wealthy, powerful and connected, the Actives don't just perform their hired roles, they wholly become -- with mind, personality and physiology -- whomever the client wants or needs them to be. Whether imprinted to be a lover, an assassin, a corporate negotiator or a best friend, the Actives know no other life than the specific engagements they are in at that time.

Echo acts with no memory of before. Or does she? Confined between missions to a secret facility known as the "Dollhouse," Echo and the other Actives including SIERRA (Dichen Lachman), are assigned engagements by ADELLE DEWITT (Olivia Williams), one of the Dollhouse leaders. After each scenario, Echo, always under the watchful eye of her handler, BOYD LANGTON (Harry Lennix), returns to the mysterious Dollhouse where her thoughts, feelings, experiences and knowledge are erased by TOPHER BRINK (Fran Kranz), the Dollhouse's genius programmer.

Echo acts with no memory of before. Or does she?

As the series progresses, FBI Agent PAUL BALLARD (Tahmoh Penikett) pieces together clues with the help of Russian informant, LUBOV (Enver Gjokaj), that lead him closer to the Dollhouse. Echo stops forgetting as her memories begin to return, and she slowly pieces together her mysterious past.

Produced by 20th Century Fox Television and Mutant Enemy Inc., DOLLHOUSE revolves around Echo's blossoming self-awareness and her desire to discover her true identity. But with each new engagement comes a new memory and increased danger inside and outside the Dollhouse. Joss Whedon directed the pilot and serves as executive producer and writer. Liz Craft and Sarah Fain are co-executive producers.

Hm, not exactly a lot of discussion!

Season 2 starts up on Friday, September 25. Once the show started hitting its stride in the first season it was outstanding and there's no reason to think it won't just keep getting better. Alan Tudyk will be back in his guest role as Alpha, later in the season, and Summer Glau, Alexis Denisov, and Keith Carradine will be coming aboard as recurring characters. Jamie Bamber will appear in the first episode and Michael Hogan will guest at some point.

I watch very little TV (in fact we have no antenna or cable -- if it's not streamed online I can't watch it) but I'm really looking forward to this.

Hm, not exactly a lot of discussion!

I know! What's up with that! :) I'm excited for the new season. But i still need to get season 1 on dvd cuz there's an extra episode or something like that on it.

We watched it last night for the first time and couldn't get into it. I wish Firefly was still on. :(

If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak...

We watched it last night for the first time and couldn't get into it. I wish Firefly was still on. :(

I agree about Firefly!!

Did you see the 1st season at all, or just jump into the 2nd season? It might make more sense if you rent the first season DVD. :)

I really, really hope they don't cancel this like Firefly. I think by the end of the first season, they really had the ensemble down and it was getting awesome...

We finally got the dvd. The original pilot is SO much better than the first episode Fox chose to air. I guess they figure they'd get more viewers with Eliza Dushku in a hoochie dress. Haven't they figured out that Joss Whedon/Eliza fans don't need that crap?

"Epitaph One", the unaired 13th episode, was interesting - I wonder if all the episodes are going to lead up to that or if it's an alternate timeline.

I think the eps are leading up to that; at least I get that idea... which is interesting.

And finally with this latest episode in the 2nd season, I think they're getting back to the cool ensemble awesomeness we saw at the end of the 1st season. I hope they don't decide to cancel, since it's taken so long for this show to find it's footing. Some of the eps are just "eh, ok"... and then the good ones- they're so very, very, very good.

This show just keeps getting better and better.
I'm sad that it's taking a break until December. :(

They are doing more than taking a break. The show got cancelled. It was such a good show too!!!

They are doing more than taking a break. The show got cancelled. It was such a good show too!!!

Yeah, so sad.. I don't know why Joss Whedon even bothers with Fox. I think they would have hooked more people at the get-go if they aired the original pilot.

Top Bottom