Can I cut a piezo pickup?

orangeena

Reaction score
A recent eBay acquisition of a Rolan MicroCube amp has led to me going back to a Cigar Box Uke I made a couple of years back to fit a pickup. The intonation was never right on this instrument (compensation problems!) so it needed pulling apart. So I fitted a piezo pickup with a tone/volume control unit. However I think the pickup must be intended for a mando or something as the expected string spacings are quite close together. The result was that my A string was not being picked up. Luckily the wonderful Chinese suppliers has included a guitar piezo which fits the string spacings but sticks out (See photo)

IMAG0971_zpsc5d4e1fe.jpg

IMAG0972_zps1e8e583a.jpg

This works acoustically, but is not functional.

My question is can I trim the piezo pickup without breaking it?

Thanks
Max

C.B Gitty has a tutorial on their website on how to cut that kind of piezo. It's for a pickup that they sell so....
You'll have to dig around the website to find the tutorial

Yes! .... All you need is a pair of sharp scissors I've cut the disc type down to 12mm square for replacement Ddrum triggers, you just lose a bit of sensitivity...I never tried it on the type youve got there tho' ;)

Last edited:
Ok thanks chaps, I will check out the site.

Edit: the link is here in case any one needs it. I will let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
So the answer is yes you can cut a piezo rod to length. As long as you use sharp wire snippers and cut in the gaps between the raised crystals. The result works fine. Thanks for the help.

Max

Top Bottom