who is your ukulele idol at the moment?

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I started playing uke about 10 years ago when the magnetic fields "I" album came out. I never gave ukulele much attention until i heard that album. In a weeks time I had purchased a ukulele to learn the songs from that album, and i quickly picked up playing those songs just fine (which now knowing how to play their all very basic chords and playing style). Now Lately ive been watching kimo hussy trying to learn to play like him, i set a personal goal every month to learn a new jazzy uke technique and I'm learning a lot and progressing in this stye but im still very much a novice in this kind of music, and have a long way to go but my ultimate goal down the line (maybe in another 10 years or 20) is to play like Kimo.

Currently, it's Ukeval.

Corey Fujimoto, very tasty. Beautiful new cd. Works at Hawaii Music Supply.

My ukulele heroes will always be John King, Ohta-San, and Tomotaka Matsui. And a more recent (to me) discovery is Steven Strauss. But I don't ever expect to play *like* any of them.

The most amazing all-around musician I know is my uke instructor (who plays a lot of other instruments as well) - he doesn't play like anybody but himself, at least not that I can discern. And someday this is what I hope to achieve - to play like I know what I'm doing without being compared to anybody else.

James Hill and Troy Fernandez. Slightly less heroic but equally influential eugeneukulele.

Ukulelezaza for sure.

Ukulele Uff & Lonesome Dave are pretty awesome as well.

I don't have idols because idolizing connotes worship. There are people I respect in whatever their passion is for how passionate and talented they are. The ukulele players I've seen live recently who have impressed me with their playing, their talent, and their passion for what they do are Ben Ahn and Aldrine Guerrero, but that's by no means an exclusive list.

I don't know about idol, but my favorite uke player songs at the moment are by Sarah Maisel, Kris Fuchigami and Daniel Ho.

John King, because he looked like someone's Dad, was an incredible player and totally humble. I'll never play like him but i'll never stop trying...

John King, because he looked like someone's Dad, was an incredible player and totally humble.

These are all things I just love about him - no flash, just pure amazing playing. And those funny little sausage fingers. Makes me think there's hope for me yet! :)

James Hill is at the top of my list.
Meeting James at a camp years ago was a life changing experience.
He started me playing ukulele, since I have studied and practiced.
Ukulele as brought many new music friends that are more like family.
I have attended festivals, taught work shops and classes.
Ukulele has even brought me the love of my life. She too has been "flea" bitten.

Currently, it's Ukeval.

coolkayaker1, you've thrown me for a loop! (this from a guy who doesn't often use exclamation points) He's certainly one of mine, but that's my kind of music.

I think my #1 is Kimo Hussey.

Jake, Aldrine, Craig Chee, Herb Ohta, jr and Troy Fernandez are my ukulele gods and Sarah Maissel is an ukulele goddess. My terms, no one else's. There is more room on my list for more.

Top Bottom