Nid

BigD

Reaction score
New stick dulcimer thingy day? NSDTD? Nah to wordy lol i finally got my seagull merlin a couple days ago! Ill put pictures up eventually but honestly what you see of the pictures on their site is about all there is to it, nothing hiding. I bought the mahogany topped version, honestly more for looks then anything else. Its my first dulcimer style instrument and it is just so much fun. Really if i had to pin down to anyone what the best thing about it is is that its just plain fun, and thats whats important right? Its open d tuning and i havent done much else besides tuning it DAC which has a nice dark feel to it, scarborough faire is played in this tuning if uve heard it. The only downside is, i feel, its not as rewarding as playing the uke. I had to work long and hard and practice a lot to be even a competent ukulele player which i think a lot of us did. Its easy and great to throw out a really fun sorta tune on the merlin but its idk,almost to easy? not that im in any way belittling dulcimer playing, just an observation of mine!

Mine came in fine shape, the sound hole was a little rough honestly but nothing to write about. For the price of this (130 US) its really a great buy. I wont lie i am a big fan of Seagull and Godin in general, i feel like their products are more than worth the money. And this one doesnt disappoint at all. If i had a better setup for recording id play ya a tune but as of now nothin!!

Congratulations. I'd love to see some photos and hear it. We have a thriving dulcimer culture around here and I've accompanied a group a couple of times. A lot of fun.

Dulcimer playing is good for learning modes, other scales, experimenting with tunings etc. Sometimes we miss those things in uke playing, though it's there if you go looking and wading through the mud! + the haunting sound is hard to beat. Congrats, enjoy!

Top Bottom