Which key is "your key"

heyitsamike

Reaction score
I have noticed that i have certain keys that i just play and sing much better in. I feel like i sing really well in E xD wonder if anyone has this issue and curious what key works well for all of you

My wife says I sing in the key of H! I like learning songs in F because you can barre up to a lot of keys

Last edited:
I have noticed that i have certain keys that i just play and sing much better in. I feel like i sing really well in E xD wonder if anyone has this issue and curious what key works well for all of you

The voice is an instrument...it has a natural key ...everybodies will vary ..it's a biological thang really ....all down to genes ,vocal chords and other sticky stuff...that's the beauty of keys ..you can adjust the key that you play the song in to suit the natural key of your voice.....

..and then from there we start to get into the training and etc etc ...but that is initially your basic answer...if you just want to strum and sing then that's it ...if you want to go further it is the basic building block to found your learning curve upon.

I actually don't know. I can say once i put my baritone ukulele in reeentrant G i was able to sing much more on key
than usual, i dont know if that means anything. Some times i have a hard time matching the pitch of my voice to
smaller ukes depending on the song. I'm def not a baritone, def not a soprano maybe im in the alto or tenor range?
key wise no idea but I'm curious to find out.

Learning a song each week for the Seasons of the Ukulele, I've found myself most comfortable singing in the key of B flat.

Depends on the song but for most pop stuff C works pretty well for me (maybe that's why the uke grabbed me so hard). Some songs I sing in D, or G, or A... A lot of it depends on how the melody relates to the harmony.

I find that many beginners try to sing in a key to low for them. I used to always think my key was A, then I got forced into fronting a small combo where the harp player wanted everything not in G pushed to G or C (never could figure out why, since he played a chromonica). Anyway, I could just handle most songs that were actually in G but anything we lowered didn't work. But, I found that I could sing stuff that had been written as low as Ab fairly decently if we pushed it up to C.

John

For me, whichever key keeps the dog from howling...

Still searching for a key I can sing in but I have only tried 12 keys so far.

I just strum what ever key is on the sheet!

Still searching for a key I can sing in but I have only tried 12 keys so far.

Ah ...yes ...I know that problem as well.....sheesh you mean after 12 there are no more....hmmm not even " Z Flat Ridiculous.." that must be a key ?

I just strum what ever key is on the sheet!

I start out that way and, if I am lucky, stay right there. Sometimes I have to move the key around a bit for my vocal 'range' and it seems like I settle into the key of G most commonly.

Of course, some songs seem to have a natural key in terms of playing them, so that enters the picture sometimes too.

I rather like A minor or D minor on the uke. They fit rather well with my voice and range.

The key of H (used in German) is actually the key of B major.

Petey

C, often. Not sure if it's because it's easy to play on the uke, or easy to sing, or some underhanded conspiracy between them! But D, A, G, sometimes F, and once in a blue moon Bb do come up. Am and Dm too. Interesting thread as I've been thinking about this lately and making a conscious effort to write songs in keys that aren't my usual, with the caveat that they still sound good to me! :)

I got my house key..my car key ...motorsickle key...any help...I'll just sod off shall I ?

My vocal range is mezzo soprano/alto, so I like singing in the range right in the staff and will transpose songs to keep them in my limited range. I seem to have a better ear for flat keys, but my ear is quite bad so I may be wrong about that. It feels that way, though.

When you learn to play and sing with your ukulele, you are actually learning two instruments, the uke and your voice. Maybe if you like to teach uke, you can get some better results if you team up with a voice teacher. Maybe UU could have a voice accompianment section to help players discuss and work on their voice.
I still have no idea how to work out which is the best key for me, people who have perfect pitch seem to be able to pick the key of a voice very quickly. I have tried using a tuner and watching what the notes I sing at home in front of the TV are, working on the theory that once I know the notes, the scale should be obvious. But that does not work if you sing every note there is with no recognizable scale. Maybe someone reading this has a useful method, other than perfect pitch?
A tip that I felt was helpful was to find the highest note of the song that you can sing comfortably and work back to discover the key. That was a bit of advice that I felt helped me a great deal.

I find Eb, F and Bb recur quite often as preferred keys. I'm still working on perfecting actually playing in the key of Eb though.

Top Bottom