my first "creation"

pixiepurls

Reaction score
I know nothing about music theory and its possible I subconsciously constructed this after something I already heard. I jammed to some good songs on the radio on a long drive home, then I went out to dinner with the fam and had a very strong margarita, came straight home, walked up stairs to my martin and this just basically came out within about 10 minutes. Looking for constructive feedback as I have no background in music really. I'm on month 3 of proper lessons :) I hope you like it. It feels like the beginning of something.

Nice pixie. I don't think sad at all...maybe wistful, whimsical? Your voice floats in between that chord progression beautifully.

Maybe think about the next part (what we might call the bridge/pre-chorus of the song) going:

Em ( 4 beats or 1 measure) - C (4 beats) - D (two measures or 8 beats). then back to
Em (4 beats) - C (4 beats) - G (1/2 a measure-2 beats) and to a D (two measures)

....and then see what happens from there! Well done! Great start to the song and lovely lyrics. Cheers.

Nice, I like this tweak on that: Em - C - G - D (1 measure each)

So now I need to go research what a bridge is! lol

Sounds great, Pixie. And I loved the short blues tune that popped up after the video ended. That one put a big smile on my face, your enthusiasm is contagious. I'll defer to Eugene on the chord recommendations. I tried them out and they sound quite appropriate. I look forward to hearing more as you add to it.

I'll add that I found when working through the Em C G, and D progression, it sounded good to mix up the D chords with the standard doubled 3rd (A), and a doubled root.

Last edited:
I'll add that I found when working through the Em C G, and D progression, it sounded good to mix up the D chords with the standard doubled 3rd (A), and a doubled root.

Can you explain that further? Whats "standard doubled 3rd (A)" mean and "doubled root" mean or maybe a link to something that explains those things?

Also I use an Am in the song, not an A, I'll see how the regular A sounds mixed in though and give it a try!

Last edited:
Can you explain that further? Whats "standard doubled 3rd (A)" mean and "doubled root" mean or maybe a link to something that explains those things?

Also I use an Am in the song, not an A, I'll see how the regular A sounds mixed in though and give it a try!

By standard D with doubled A I mean when you hold down the GCE strings at the 2nd fret and play the A string open. The doubled root is with the GCE strings held down at the second fret, and the root, D, held down at the 5th fret of the A string.

By standard D with doubled A I mean when you hold down the GCE strings at the 2nd fret and play the A string open. The doubled root is with the GCE strings held down at the second fret, and the root, D, held down at the 5th fret of the A string.

A D major chord consists of the triad D F# A. There are 4 strings on the uke, so one of the 3 triad notes will be doubled. In the first case it is the A, in the second is the D. You're playing the same chord/triad/notes, just doubling a different note.

The chord maintains the same flavor either way, it just puts emphasis on a different note.

Last edited:
OkayIi wrote a second verse and added a little finger-style interlude or whatever it would be called.

I haven't really changed the chord progression any but I think I need to lay out another song structure and look for an over-all outline as guidance because I assume I need some change ups in there as suggested previously but today I just worked on the little break/interlude and more lyrics. I think I sound more wonky today. My playing isn't as clear and my pace was a little off at parts but thats just today I guess.

Last edited:
You don't realize how far you have come in a very short time. That was excellent because I was enjoy listening to the song as you were playing it. Truly good stuff pixie

You don't realize how far you have come in a very short time. That was excellent because I was enjoy listening to the song as you were playing it. Truly good stuff pixie

Thank you :D I am just going with it, trying not to think too hard about it. I am enjoying whatever it is lol!

OkayIi wrote a second verse and added a little finger-style interlude or whatever it would be called.

I haven't really changed the chord progression any but I think I need to lay out another song structure and look for an over-all outline as guidance because I assume I need some change ups in there as suggested previously but today I just worked on the little break/interlude and more lyrics. I think I sound more wonky today. My playing isn't as clear and my pace was a little off at parts but thats just today I guess.

The point is ..the real point is ...you just need to do what you are doing ...pick the thing up and play it, experiment with it ....forget the theory....Jon (..Eugene ...Bandido el Butterfly the Moth Kid) etc is spot on ...if it sounds good it is good .....which means that you will be exercising the theory without knowing it....
free up and let rip......the trouble with this place is that there are folks from different walks of music genres ...classicalists cleave to the rules ....and that is their absolute right and essential to their ouevre...........people who play the more laid back and bluesy,folky songs like others can be a bit more ...well laid back ...as long as the timing and tempo is their (which it is)...then have fun and play that damn thing.........

CJ

Top Bottom