Best site to get 1920s string band chords and tabs (for ukulele)

Not quite my style to listen to, but no doubt a lot of fun to play with a group of like-minded individuals :)

In the UK at least, a lot of old sheet-music turns up on eBay for literally pennies, some of which lists "ukulele" as a suitable instrument. One of the local junk-shops (pre-used emporiums) has a suit-case full of the stuff, though I doubt any of it would include "tabs" ... little chord-shapes if you're lucky, but who knows what lurks in the big black box !!

Intresting....some songs have different lyrics but the music tempo and beat is noticable like in newer songs...
One is Operator, same name just this one althought different lyrics, but music sounds similar to Jim Croce Operator

Thanks for sharing the link. This is a pretty cool band! I'd never heard of them.

I don't think it's necessarily the best resource, but I like this one for old blues & stringband-type songs:
http://www.humpnightthumpers.com/assembled/songs.html
It gives you the general chord structures, and you can fake the rest (or in my case, feebly attempt to fake the rest).

Hi river_diver. It's great to find a kindred spirit. Thanks for the information. There appears to be a whole network of string bands playing in New Orleans at the moment. The wonderful washboard player named 'Izzy' plays in several of these bands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom