PDA

View Full Version : The Seasonista Anthem !

GinnyT11
06-15-2014, 06:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojO1gPCsYkw

The Seasonista Anthem is here!

Last year, many of you participated in a project to connect the ukers who participate in UU's Seasons of the Ukulele weekly challenges. We wanted to sing together, but we're spread around the world. So this virtual singalong was created.

I adapted some lyrics from a song and asked Bill (23skidoo), who has notable video-editing skills, if he could match up a large number of videos. Bill designed a recording plan so we'd all play at the same tempo. I drummed up participation and we collected videos from 55 Seasonistas.

You'll probably have to watch it a few times to see how cleverly Bill has assembled the images. There are 55 Seasonista names represented here, but you'll see 59 faces (well, except for Lynda's). Bill introduced the participants so that their voices match the others shown in the four-frame with them. People appear more than once, but always in a quarter-frame to start.

And the sound tricks! As each person appears the first time, his or her voice is a bit louder, then it drops back into the blend. Be amazed at how Bill used the extra sounds---recorder, kazoo, slide guitar, glock, drums(!), vocal harmonies---to color the simple song. It changes and builds...and all this with recordings made in 55 acoustic settings! Bill is amazing.

Watching this video makes me really, really happy and I send thanks, hugs and kisses to all of you who participated.

GinnyT11
06-15-2014, 06:18 PM
I’d Like To Teach The World To Strum
pdf songsheet: https://app.box.com/s/4y5874ampeh8qcdljxbj

YOU MAY SHARE THIS SONG AT WILL WITH THIS CREDIT:
Adapted for the Seasons of the Ukulele
of the UkuleleUnderground.com Forum

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony.
Then add a little instrument
That’s played so easily.

I'd like to teach the world to strum
A ukulele song,
And hear chords echo through the hills
For peace through play along.
That’s the song I hear
Let the world sing today

I'd like to build the world a home
To house a ukey band.
With lemon oil and buffing cloth
And string sets close at hand.

I'd like to hear us strum and sing
In a grand aloha plan.
We’ll spread uke joy in every place
For peace throughout the land.

That’s the song I hear
Let the world hear today
The sound of ukes that echoes on
And never goes away.
The sound of ukes that echoes on
And never goes away.

GinnyT11
06-15-2014, 06:18 PM
Everyone Sang
by Siegfried Sassoon

Everyone suddenly burst out singing;
And I was filled with such delight
As prisoned birds must find in freedom,
Winging wildly across the white
Orchards and dark-green fields; on—on—and out of sight.

Everyone's voice was suddenly lifted;
And beauty came like the setting sun:
My heart was shaken with tears; and horror
Drifted away ... O, but Everyone
Was a bird; and the song was wordless; the singing will never be done.

erivel
06-15-2014, 07:22 PM
Wow that was incredible! Thank you Ginny and Bill for putting this together. Bill your editing work blows my mind! Cheers to all the Seasonistas who participated!! :)

ukuloonie
06-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Woohoo at last the video is here and 23skidoo and ginny did an amazing job. Man that took a lot of work and no doubt a supercomputer to cope with all the awesomeness of the UkuleleUnderground.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Amazing! So glad I got to participate in this amazing project. Thanks, Ginny, for getting the ball rolling. Thanks, Bill, for rolling that ball up a steep video- and sound-editing hill. Great performances, everyone. Woohoo!

bird's eye view of my ukelele
06-15-2014, 08:09 PM
wow! that was sooooooooooooooooooo great! i was just a ukulele infant (i was gonna say ukulele baby, but that's not the same thing at all!) when i did this, i'd only been on the seasons about five seconds, i marvel that i had the temerity to contribute, but i did, and there i am, in that vid, all upside down, all me! wonderful to be part of it!

i note the vid is showing as unlisted at the moment? i trust it'll go public because it's a great ad for uke-ing generally and the seasons in particular and for having a great time all round!

big thanks to ginny for thinking of the project, and to skidoo for the huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge amount of work that went into the video and audio editing

:bowdown:

lelouden
06-15-2014, 08:55 PM
That was so much fun to watch. Fantastic everybody:)

barefootgypsy
06-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Absolutely brilliant, Ginny and Bill! I've watched it three times already, what a fantastic job! Lovely to see all my Seasonista buddies, and this is so skilfully done! Bells and trumpets, Ginny, as you said! I would love to share more widely, is that ok? And please, please, I must blog it! This has made my day, it really has!

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
06-16-2014, 12:04 AM
That is awesome, I think it must have been before I started playing uke. Wish I could have been part of it.

UncleMoon
06-16-2014, 12:41 AM
That was awesome. I knew it would be cool, but WOW. What a great thing to wake up to, and a I'm proud to be a participant. Thanks Ginny & Bill for the fantastic back end work.

cua94
06-16-2014, 01:16 AM
I loved this! what a triumph!

GaryC1968
06-16-2014, 01:42 AM
That was amazing! Thank you Ginny for writing the lyrics and organizing this. And Bill, WOW! I can't even imagine how much time was put into the editing.

frisbee fred
06-16-2014, 01:44 AM
Well, that is just about the most awesome thing ever. A ton of work had to do into that production - can't even imagine how hard that was to do. Really, really, great job.

CTurner
06-16-2014, 01:53 AM
Bill, you did a superb job assembling and shaping this video. Ginny, my dear wife, what a loving idea. To all the participants: great job. Done with a lot of heart.

Raygf
06-16-2014, 02:03 AM
Wow Bill! What a stupendous accomplishment! Tell the truth, you sold your soul to the devil didn't you?

filipinouker
06-16-2014, 04:03 AM
I felt quite emotional watching this! Best collaboration ever!
The other instruments added a really lovely touch and depth to the whole piece (Ralf - drums; Dave - kazoo; Saskia - glockenspiel; Geoff - recorder).

Three cheers to Bill and Ginny!

GinnyT11
06-16-2014, 04:28 AM
Wow Bill! What a stupendous accomplishment! Tell the truth, you sold your soul to the devil didn't you?

OMG, I hope not! He's the same patient and generous-hearted uker we've always known and liked. (He does need to participate in the Seasons more often though.)

GinnyT11
06-16-2014, 04:31 AM
The other instruments added a really lovely touch and depth to the whole piece (Ralf - drums; Dave - kazoo; Saskia - glockenspiel; Geoff - recorder).

Thank you, Shaggy. Your sweet voice really mattered in the whole.

There's also Steffen's slide uke in the opening. And an extra that I really like is Mattydee's stylized singing in harmony. His voice floats up beautifully a few times.

23skidoo
06-16-2014, 05:02 AM
Thanks everybody - I had much fun making this happen and really enjoyed all the fine performances. No soul-selling necessary, Ray, just some quality time with a good Final Cut Pro tutorial..... and I'm hoping to get back to the Seasons soon - finishing up this project reminded me how much I miss it.

23skidoo
06-16-2014, 05:04 AM
One more thing - be sure to listen with headphones or good speakers so you can hear the amazing bass work from we tiger Michael and Ukelite Steffen - along with Ralf's drums, they really tie the whole thing together, I think.

barefootgypsy
06-16-2014, 06:09 AM
Just to repeat my request - is it ok to share widely? This is such an achievement, and so heartwarming! And I'd like to do a blog post on it.... ok Ginny and Bill?

GinnyT11
06-16-2014, 06:31 AM
You're free to share, Lesley! Thanks for checking.

wee_ginga_yin
06-16-2014, 06:47 AM
I loved Dave on Kazoo and Geoff on recorder, and Matt doing that good ol' gospel call & response
gave the song an extra dimension and made it special. Well done all of you.

29moons
06-16-2014, 07:05 AM
This awesome! Great work Mr. Skidoo!

23skidoo
06-16-2014, 07:10 AM
I've got to say that my favorite moments from all of these clips can be found in Drew's (ukuloonie) submission. Visually striking (shirt + bedspread= bliss) but he rocks out the whole time - a small taste can be seen in the upper right corner during mattydee's mouth trumpet solo. I don't think anyone seemed to enjoy making their video more than Drew....

myrnaukelele
06-16-2014, 07:13 AM

Absolutely amazing. :agree:

ddanner
06-16-2014, 07:29 AM
THANK YOU BILL AND GINNY! What an effort on everyone's' part, and what a great final product. These lyrics and tune make a great song for any uke club or ukulele flash mob to adopt. (I can hear it now in downtown Nashville, Indiana and at Frank's on Brambleton in Roanoke, VA)

kleblanc
06-16-2014, 08:20 AM
I can only say that I am touched and honored to have been a part of something so moving. It really is an amazing accomplishment to get together from such amazing distances. Fantastic!!

librainian
06-16-2014, 09:55 AM
It was great to be included in this project. I knew there would be some great contributions, but this was AMAZING. An outstanding technical achievement and a great concept. What a great way to promote the community as a whole. I was beaming the whole time!

GinnyT11
06-16-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm with you, Andrew. I have watched it many times and I see different things each time. Oh, look how's he's juxtaposed caukulele/Ray against Frisbee Fred/Audrey...that sort of thing. I also love that it ends with TCK in the lower right reaching to turn off the camera, just like everyone does at the end of a video.

There's richness of sound too...when Daveey's playing kazoo, you see him and hear it, but other instrumental support is happening without the visual clues.

Barbablanca
06-16-2014, 10:40 AM
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: It's the only possible response to this! It sounds so professional and in lesser hands it could have sounded so dreadfully amateur! Eat your heart out "We are the World!" ;)

UkeyDave
06-16-2014, 10:56 AM
I've lost 21 lbs in weight since I recorded that. Any chance you can......... Oh ok then. ;-)
Thanks for a great job folks.

GinnyT11
06-16-2014, 10:57 AM
I've lost 21 lbs in weight since I recorded that. Any chance you can......... Oh ok then. ;-)

Congrats on the weight loss. I'm sorry that we don't have CGI capabilities to make everyone look better (and younger!) than we actually do.

I want to take this opportunity, Dave, to thank you for being the first person to submit a recording for the project.

Pueo
06-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Really, really, really, really cool!
Mahalo to all involved!
It was great to finally meet Mr. Skidoo in person last week at UWC!
Amazing job, and what a fun video!

CTurner
06-16-2014, 11:49 AM
100% agree. It's details like this that make it special.
One more thing - be sure to listen with headphones or good speakers so you can hear the amazing bass work from we tiger Michael and Ukelite Steffen - along with Ralf's drums, they really tie the whole thing together, I think.

ukuleledaddy
06-16-2014, 01:36 PM
THIS IS AMAZING!!!! Huge props to Bill! I can't conceive of the amount of work it must have taken him to put this all together. Let's all buy him a beer. Great thanks to Ginny for getting us all together. Wow! What fun! I love that we got Chrimess' knee in there. I look like a robot. I too love how TCK turns off the camera at the end. AND, I didn't expect drums! Nice touch Ralf!

ksiegel
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm glad that you all liked my video, and thanks for the supporting harmonies. I'll always remember all of you, the little people who made this possi... Huh? What?

Oh, that was just a dream I guess.

What I meant to say was...

Thank you Ginny and Bill! I enjoyed every minute of it.

(I didn't even see myself in there until the third time I watched it - so many faces to look at!)

-Kurt

Doc_J
06-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Amazingly wonderful folks! Haven't seen such an extensive and well done UU collaboration in years.

Thanks! More please! :)

glass
06-16-2014, 02:58 PM
that was so great glad I got in on that!!

ddanner
06-16-2014, 06:00 PM
GinnyT11 and 23skidoo,
I wasn't able to locate a songsheet for this but I did find the lyrics you posted. I've edited the lyrics to match the video and added the chord names and changes into a one page songsheet. I'd like to put the songsheet out there on our local uke club's Facebook Files and I've suggested on the UWC FB Event Page that it would be a great sing-along to use for next year's Ukulele Flash Mob. Would one of you mind reviewing my draft and give the o.k. for such use? Personal message to you here? Thanks - dd

Alloalexandre
06-16-2014, 06:27 PM
Congratulations! Very well done! :music::music::music::music:

ombracorta
06-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Beautiful video!! I loved it!

filipinouker
06-17-2014, 12:01 AM

Dave - well done on the weight-loss! :)
Like you, I wondered about stuff like CGI, air-brushing, etc... I mean, if this is going to be viral, we all want to look stunning - that's a LOT of miracle work for Bill :D

You're so right! I've downloaded the video and listened to it like a million times (it's addictive) and YES there is so much depth to it - like the bass and the 'slider' sounds, as well as Matty's "mouth sounds" (what's the proper term for those sounds?), along with the recorder, kazoo, glockenspiel and drums. By the way, I love Ralf's rocker-drumming vibe!!! :love:

Just to repeat my request - is it ok to share widely? This is such an achievement, and so heartwarming! And I'd like to do a blog post on it.... ok Ginny and Bill?

Ok... I think I owe you guys a big apology..... :( Someone from Ukulele Underground Philippines asked about the lyrics, chords etc that we used - they watched the video and were mighty impressed. They want to do something similar. So, without thinking or even having the common courtesy of asking (like Lesley has), I sent them the lyrics/chords. I did say that they must acknowledge that Ginny wrote the lyrics. PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I really am sorry for not thinking first. I hope that this won't be a problem................ I am so so sorry........

23skidoo
06-17-2014, 02:55 AM
I'm glad everyone is enjoying the video so much - thanks for all the kind words! It means a lot.

As far as sharing goes - I have no problem with any sharing whatsoever! Anyone can share this with whomever they'd like - as long as Ginny gets credit for the adapted lyrics, like filifpinouker suggested.

Here's the link to the song sheet we used Dennis:

https://app.box.com/s/4y5874ampeh8qcdljxbj

Share away!

GinnyT11
06-17-2014, 03:30 AM
Ok... I think I owe you guys a big apology..... :( Someone from Ukulele Underground Philippines asked about the lyrics, chords etc that we used - they watched the video and were mighty impressed. They want to do something similar. So, ... I sent them the lyrics/chords. I did say that they must acknowledge that Ginny wrote the lyrics. PLEASE FORGIVE ME. I really am sorry for not thinking first. I hope that this won't be a problem....I am so so sorry.

Shaggy, dear, worry not. Uke love demands to be spread!

GinnyT11
06-18-2014, 01:49 AM
For anyone who asks, the song may be shared anywhere, without mention of GT as lyrics adaptor.
It would be really nice if this credit were added:

Adapted for the Seasons of the Ukulele
of the UkuleleUnderground.com Forum

mikef
06-18-2014, 04:43 AM
Just fantastic!!!! :worship:

23skidoo
06-18-2014, 07:36 AM
Hey folks - the linked pdf song sheet has been edited to reflect Ginny's suggested credit lines - share away!

https://app.box.com/s/4y5874ampeh8qcdljxbj
(https://app.box.com/s/4y5874ampeh8qcdljxbj)

mattydee
06-18-2014, 10:06 AM
Oh, I just love this so much. Huge props to Ginny and Bill, but also to all the Seasonistas, even the ones who weren't able to perticipate. The community is what allowed this to happen, and boy am I ever grateful for you guys. The ukulele has been such a giant force for good in my life, and I am so glad and proud and humbled to share that with a fantastic group of like-minded folks.

íViva las Seasonistas!

bonesigh
06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Wonderful, wonderful job done by everyone! What wonderful editing/mixing skills Skidoo! Great idea Ginny (: Glad to have been a part of this. I continue to be proud of my Seasonista friends, all great ukulele enthusiasts!

elmann
06-18-2014, 11:13 PM
I really had forgotten this. And now this great vid. A big big THANK YOU to Ginny and Skidoo!

~dave~~wave~
06-20-2014, 04:16 AM
An epic production, a year in the making, I can't imagine how many man-hours Bill spent editing.

Thanks both of you for putting this together, it's a permanent monument to this wonderful community.

GinnyT11
06-28-2014, 01:45 AM
I just wrote to TheUkeBloke to tell him about the Anthem and to try to get him to come back to the Seasons.
Do you know anyone else in the Anthem who might not know about it?

TheUkeBloke
07-27-2014, 08:58 AM
The Anthem is a masterpiece, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Great work Bill for your production skills, and to Ginny for organising it. Thanks guys.

GinnyT11
08-06-2014, 05:33 AM
I was thinking today how much I care about this Seasonista community. I'm also thankful to have made some real friends among these disparate and far-flung ukers (some I've met in person, some I haven't).
I'm bumping this thread up so we (and maybe some newbies) can have another look at how wonderful the Seasonistas are.

Innkeeper! Hugs all around, and put it on my tab.

08-06-2014, 02:28 PM
amen to all that. innkeeper, i'll have extra hugs please, if ginny's paying ;)

wallyboy
08-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Well done Ginny and Bill and everyone who took part,GREAT job putting all of it together, it was a pleasure to be part of it.

strumsilly
11-07-2014, 05:05 AM
OMG, how did I miss this. AWESOME! I was wondering about it this morning and used the search feature to find it. from my neophyte editing I know how much time this took.
a big THANKS to Bill and Ginny and all WHO helped put this together. I've got our fledgling uke group playing it now.

Phuufme
11-07-2014, 06:20 AM
Are we doing this again? I would love to participate in a new uke video

Nickie
12-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Wow, I can't beleive this got by me all this time....I should pay more attetnion to this thread....what a fabulous job, so creative! There is some amazing talent in UU!
Keep up the good work, you guys!

bubbly193
02-10-2015, 04:03 PM
Awesome work (Coming from an AV Tech./Digital Graphic Designer/Video Editor), was that made in an Adobe creative suite program, I. e. was that made in Premier Pro?

Surly-Mac
09-04-2015, 05:01 AM
Though I joined the UU Forum quite a while back, my participation (and actual uke practice) is pretty recent. The great Seasonista Anthem video sparked my interest and I've joined in the fun. I've even broken my long standing Groucho-vow ("I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member") and joined the Seasonista Group. I'll stay - until I'm voted off the island, of course....

09-04-2015, 06:47 PM
oh surly-mac - don't you know? you can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave!

Surly-Mac
09-05-2015, 03:09 AM
oh surly-mac - don't you know? you can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave!
( 83061"Wel-come to the Ho-tel Sea-sonista..."... I get it. :cool:)

haberkow
02-02-2019, 06:51 AM
WOW! I'm five years late to the party and this thread, but the video is just wonderful. Made my morning!