Uke expert selling ukes

Skinny Money McGee

Reaction score
It cracks me up when someone is selling a uke, on ebay for example, who makes themselves sound knowledgeable about vintage brands like Martin, then proceed to post ridicules pictures.

"She sounds great" Judging from the way he strung up this uke, you suppose he would know a warped neck if he saw one?

Attachments

• martinStrungUpWrong.jpg
    martinStrungUpWrong.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I have received ukes sold from this forum and from flea market forum with the uke strung wrong.

I guess the point was, if one can't string the uke even close to properly, could you trust the opinion about the sound and condition ?

I guess the point was, if one can't string the uke even close to properly, could you trust the opinion about the sound and condition ?

..Well it's interesting ....but it's not right.

No....and what Katysax writes is actually also very telling.:rolleyes:

I think it is similar to "if one can't cook/use the fork, could I trust the opinion about the taste and texture?"

Isn't it?

It cracks me up when someone is selling a uke, on ebay for example, who makes themselves sound knowledgeable about vintage brands like Martin, then proceed to post ridicules pictures.

"She sounds great" Judging from the way he strung up this uke, you suppose he would know a warped neck if he saw one?

That's how the Jumping Flea winds his strings. Sure does not seem to bother his expert playing.

That's how the Jumping Flea winds his strings. Sure does not seem to bother his expert playing.

Yes but his expert playing represent his bona fides and his credentials .....a set of poorly or inexpertly strung strings do not a good first impression make ........if there is nothing further forthcoming to offset the initial..."hmmmmmmmim" impression........'s Human Nature I suppose.....and that is why I always buy my important stuff from a real bricks and mortar shop . At least if the sales staff turn out to not be experts you can return and "tut" at them. Possibly even give them a hard stare .

That's the gravity wind. Some expert uke people believe that winding all strings counter clockwise relieves the strings of the tendency to continually stretch unevenly due to the minute but significant effects of gravity pulling on strings whose windings are at odds with each other. A rare but very sophisticated technique.

That's the gravity wind. Some expert uke people believe that winding all strings counter clockwise relieves the strings of the tendency to continually stretch unevenly due to the minute but significant effects of gravity pulling on strings whose windings are at odds with each other. A rare but very sophisticated technique.

Reading that makes my head hurt.

Learned new stuff. Thanks.

You sir are an erudite, learned and expert winder. I salute you . I think that this should wind up this thread marvellously.

Last edited:
I couldn't see the picture clearly.... What was so heinous about the stringing of it?

Honestly though, I might be tempted to try a strange stringing based on seeing this, just to optimally minimize the amount of left/right string break at the nut. That would include inclockwise order starting at upper left of that picture (C and E tuners closest to nut, G and A furthest):

C string wound clock string inside
G string wound counter string outside
A string wound clock string outside
E string wound counter string inside

I would just get a headache every time I tried to tune it.

Last edited:
This is way ukes used to be strung on a regular basis.
ALL the tuners turn the same direction for pitch.

Yes but his expert playing represent his bona fides and his credentials .....a set of poorly or inexpertly strung strings do not a good first impression make ........if there is nothing further forthcoming to offset the initial..."hmmmmmmmim" impression........'s Human Nature I suppose.....and that is why I always buy my important stuff from a real bricks and mortar shop . At least if the sales staff turn out to not be experts you can return and "tut" at them. Possibly even give them a hard stare .

CeeJay, there is nothing "poorly or inexpertly strung" about his strings to my eye - just different than the usual way. All knowledge CeeJay, begins with an "hmmmmmmmim" impression. Or should I have said "wonder?"

Top Bottom