Aquila Red thread

steel rider

Reaction score
I feel like this is redundant. Apologies if so but I can't find the thread that talked about these.

I just picked up a set of Reds with low g. The # on the package is cod 88u, which I believe refers to a lot number. I thought the Reds were smooth and shiny now, rather than the rough, dull, semi-wound feel of the traditional Red low g. Did I get the right set?

FWIW I had no issues stringing them up to my Fluke. The sound is very nice, though I'm not sure if that's due to the Fluke or the strings. Sustain is really very good (makes me want to restring the Pono), though again not sure if it's the strings or the uke.
After a couple of days they are staying in tune pretty well. The "semi-wound squeak" will take some getting used to but it's not bad, especially when playing at normal volume. I wonder how it would sound with an amp though. I will most likely string up the Worth Clears as a comparison but these are nice.

The 88U is the model number. The newer batches still have the same textured outer surface, that was not changed. So yes you did get the right set. I had the Reds on a koa tenor and they sounded very nice, also had Oasis and Worth clears on the same uke. The Reds were bright sounding with good volume and a medium tension.

I put an early set on my tenor Fluke as part of the beta testing.
I really liked the sound. Mimmo suggested I smooth the strings. I used some 12,000 micro mesh to polish the strings.
All the squeak went away. When the first strings came out the "G" strings were prone to breaking. I went through several "G's" before giving up on them.

The 88U is the model number. The newer batches still have the same textured outer surface, that was not changed. So yes you did get the right set. I had the Reds on a koa tenor and they sounded very nice, also had Oasis and Worth clears on the same uke. The Reds were bright sounding with good volume and a medium tension.

Cool thanks.

I feel like this is redundant. Apologies if so but I can't find the thread that talked about these.

I just picked up a set of Reds with low g. The # on the package is cod 88u, which I believe refers to a lot number. I thought the Reds were smooth and shiny now, rather than the rough, dull, semi-wound feel of the traditional Red low g. Did I get the right set?

FWIW I had no issues stringing them up to my Fluke. The sound is very nice, though I'm not sure if that's due to the Fluke or the strings. Sustain is really very good (makes me want to restring the Pono), though again not sure if it's the strings or the uke.
After a couple of days they are staying in tune pretty well. The "semi-wound squeak" will take some getting used to but it's not bad, especially when playing at normal volume. I wonder how it would sound with an amp though. I will most likely string up the Worth Clears as a comparison but these are nice.

I no longer have the uke anymore but for around 8 months I had a les paul concert acoustic-electric uke. The strings which came with it where think dead black nylon strings, i put on the high G red series and they brought this instrument to life (especially acoustically). A lot of people said they had breaking issues i did not experience this, in fact the strings lasted months and never broke and always sounded good. Excellent strings.

I put an early set on my tenor Fluke as part of the beta testing.
I really liked the sound. Mimmo suggested I smooth the strings. I used some 12,000 micro mesh to polish the strings.
All the squeak went away. When the first strings came out the "G" strings were prone to breaking. I went through several "G's" before giving up on them.

So you used 12,000 grit sadpaper? And I reading that correctly or is micro mesh something else?

So you used 12,000 grit sadpaper? And I reading that correctly or is micro mesh something else?

Micro Mesh is a product developed by the USAF to polish fighter cockpit canopies.
It is also very useful for taking out small scratches on an instrument.

While I initially thought the "rough paper" feeling was odd, I soon became not only used to it but have come to prefer it over a perfectly smooth string. So, before you break out the micro mesh and go to town, you might give yourself a week of playing or so to see if it still bothers you.

I had an older set of low G reds on my tenor. The texture I had no problems with. They brought my laminate tenor to life. Nice warm sound. The G string just broke the other day. I put on a wound low G (la Bella) I had on hand. It sounds pretty good but I am going to order another set of the Reds. Hopefully I will get the new ones this time
The Aquila Reds sound great on my Uke to my ears
Cliff

Since I've no idea where to get Micro Mesh (though I suspect I can find it at a hobby or hardware store) I will keep playing with the strings as is and se how it goes.

Thanks for the tip though.

BROKE! :mad::mad::mad:

Picked up the uke to strum a bit and found the a string broke while sitting there. That's too bad. I liked the look of the Reds on my Stripe Fluke. :) Guess I will see how the Worth Clears sound.
Wonder if I can return them to the store for a new set.
---
UPDATE: managed to restring it. Seems to hold the tune. Not sure I trust it but will see.

Last edited:
What are Aquila Red strings made of? Are they fluorocarbon? Or more like their Nylgut? Or nylon? And are they still fragile and prone to breaking? Are they "fat" like Nylgut? Or thinner like fluorocarbon?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

What are Aquila Red strings made of? Are they fluorocarbon? Or more like their Nylgut? Or nylon? And are they still fragile and prone to breaking? Are they "fat" like Nylgut? Or thinner like fluorocarbon?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

their copper coated or something like that.
I hear people saying they break on here but
my situation and experience using them was quite
the opposite. I had them on for months no breaks
and they sounded great. ( a bit to bright for my taste
now but still a good sound if you like a nice bright clear
almost metallic sound).

their copper coated or something like that.
I hear people saying they break on here but
my situation and experience using them was quite
the opposite. I had them on for months no breaks
and they sounded great. ( a bit to bright for my taste
now but still a good sound if you like a nice bright clear
almost metallic sound).

Okay, thanks! I don't think I'll want to try these. I don't like that kind of sound very much.

CountryMouse

Compared to the Aquilla Nyguts that came on my Kala-TEM I find the Aquilla Reds to have a fuller warmer sound. More sustain, not plinky at all. Several members of my Uke group have commented on how good my Uke sounds. I did change to low G at the same time
Cliff

Compared to the Aquilla Nyguts that came on my Kala-TEM I find the Aquilla Reds to have a fuller warmer sound. More sustain, not plinky at all. Several members of my Uke group have commented on how good my Uke sounds. I did change to low G at the same time
Cliff

Hmm! I'll keep that in mind. :)

CountryMouse

Cliff

its def warmer than nylguts, and i guess not 'plinky' but i still say their very metallic sounding almost like a reso-uke even the guy
who makes aquilla on his post here compared the sound to that of a reso uke aka very metallic and i agree. not exactly the sound i want
but i dont think their horrbile. I still recommend living water strings above all and than worth. I'm trying oasis i will let everyone know how i like those
once i get my package i ordered and install them on my kala concert.

My wife likes them on her Kala Mahogany Soprano, She had the Aquialas on before and it sounded boomy, maybe it was the age of the strings they were 6months or so
but when she put the Reds on she liked them, no metallic sound at all, the sound was more even and balanced.The boom had gone.
Once they settled they were fine they have been on her ukulele for about two months and no problems and she plays the Ukulele pretty much everyday.
As with all strings you have to try them to like them and each instrument has it's own little way of dealing with sound.
I know my wife likes them and we will getting more in the future.

Today I found my low g string broken. That's two broken strings. Never had so much trouble with strings. Too bad because they sound pretty good.

Top Bottom