PDA

View Full Version : Aquila Red thread

steel rider
06-16-2014, 08:48 PM
I feel like this is redundant. Apologies if so but I can't find the thread that talked about these.

I just picked up a set of Reds with low g. The # on the package is cod 88u, which I believe refers to a lot number. I thought the Reds were smooth and shiny now, rather than the rough, dull, semi-wound feel of the traditional Red low g. Did I get the right set?

FWIW I had no issues stringing them up to my Fluke. The sound is very nice, though I'm not sure if that's due to the Fluke or the strings. Sustain is really very good (makes me want to restring the Pono), though again not sure if it's the strings or the uke.
After a couple of days they are staying in tune pretty well. The "semi-wound squeak" will take some getting used to but it's not bad, especially when playing at normal volume. I wonder how it would sound with an amp though. I will most likely string up the Worth Clears as a comparison but these are nice.

DownUpDave
06-17-2014, 01:13 AM
The 88U is the model number. The newer batches still have the same textured outer surface, that was not changed. So yes you did get the right set. I had the Reds on a koa tenor and they sounded very nice, also had Oasis and Worth clears on the same uke. The Reds were bright sounding with good volume and a medium tension.

SailingUke
06-17-2014, 05:02 AM
I put an early set on my tenor Fluke as part of the beta testing.
I really liked the sound. Mimmo suggested I smooth the strings. I used some 12,000 micro mesh to polish the strings.
All the squeak went away. When the first strings came out the "G" strings were prone to breaking. I went through several "G's" before giving up on them.

steel rider
06-17-2014, 05:04 AM
The 88U is the model number. The newer batches still have the same textured outer surface, that was not changed. So yes you did get the right set. I had the Reds on a koa tenor and they sounded very nice, also had Oasis and Worth clears on the same uke. The Reds were bright sounding with good volume and a medium tension.

Cool thanks.

iamesperambient
06-17-2014, 06:13 AM
I feel like this is redundant. Apologies if so but I can't find the thread that talked about these.

I just picked up a set of Reds with low g. The # on the package is cod 88u, which I believe refers to a lot number. I thought the Reds were smooth and shiny now, rather than the rough, dull, semi-wound feel of the traditional Red low g. Did I get the right set?

FWIW I had no issues stringing them up to my Fluke. The sound is very nice, though I'm not sure if that's due to the Fluke or the strings. Sustain is really very good (makes me want to restring the Pono), though again not sure if it's the strings or the uke.
After a couple of days they are staying in tune pretty well. The "semi-wound squeak" will take some getting used to but it's not bad, especially when playing at normal volume. I wonder how it would sound with an amp though. I will most likely string up the Worth Clears as a comparison but these are nice.

I no longer have the uke anymore but for around 8 months I had a les paul concert acoustic-electric uke. The strings which came with it where think dead black nylon strings, i put on the high G red series and they brought this instrument to life (especially acoustically). A lot of people said they had breaking issues i did not experience this, in fact the strings lasted months and never broke and always sounded good. Excellent strings.

steel rider
06-17-2014, 06:42 AM
I put an early set on my tenor Fluke as part of the beta testing.
I really liked the sound. Mimmo suggested I smooth the strings. I used some 12,000 micro mesh to polish the strings.
All the squeak went away. When the first strings came out the "G" strings were prone to breaking. I went through several "G's" before giving up on them.

So you used 12,000 grit sadpaper? And I reading that correctly or is micro mesh something else?

SailingUke
06-17-2014, 07:22 AM
So you used 12,000 grit sadpaper? And I reading that correctly or is micro mesh something else?

Micro Mesh is a product developed by the USAF to polish fighter cockpit canopies.
It is also very useful for taking out small scratches on an instrument.

Ukulele Eddie
06-17-2014, 07:34 AM
While I initially thought the "rough paper" feeling was odd, I soon became not only used to it but have come to prefer it over a perfectly smooth string. So, before you break out the micro mesh and go to town, you might give yourself a week of playing or so to see if it still bothers you.

Osprey
06-17-2014, 08:54 AM
I had an older set of low G reds on my tenor. The texture I had no problems with. They brought my laminate tenor to life. Nice warm sound. The G string just broke the other day. I put on a wound low G (la Bella) I had on hand. It sounds pretty good but I am going to order another set of the Reds. Hopefully I will get the new ones this time
The Aquila Reds sound great on my Uke to my ears
Cliff

steel rider
06-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Since I've no idea where to get Micro Mesh (though I suspect I can find it at a hobby or hardware store) I will keep playing with the strings as is and se how it goes.

Thanks for the tip though.

steel rider
06-17-2014, 03:39 PM
BROKE! :mad::mad::mad:

Picked up the uke to strum a bit and found the a string broke while sitting there. That's too bad. I liked the look of the Reds on my Stripe Fluke. :) Guess I will see how the Worth Clears sound.
Wonder if I can return them to the store for a new set.
---
UPDATE: managed to restring it. Seems to hold the tune. Not sure I trust it but will see.

Luke El U
06-17-2014, 05:14 PM
The Aquila Reds sound great on my Uke to my ears
Cliff

As they say here in Thailand, Same Same!

CountryMouse
06-21-2014, 03:36 AM
What are Aquila Red strings made of? Are they fluorocarbon? Or more like their Nylgut? Or nylon? And are they still fragile and prone to breaking? Are they "fat" like Nylgut? Or thinner like fluorocarbon?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

iamesperambient
06-21-2014, 04:29 AM
What are Aquila Red strings made of? Are they fluorocarbon? Or more like their Nylgut? Or nylon? And are they still fragile and prone to breaking? Are they "fat" like Nylgut? Or thinner like fluorocarbon?

Thanks!

CountryMouse

their copper coated or something like that.
I hear people saying they break on here but
my situation and experience using them was quite
the opposite. I had them on for months no breaks
and they sounded great. ( a bit to bright for my taste
now but still a good sound if you like a nice bright clear
almost metallic sound).

CountryMouse
06-21-2014, 09:15 AM
their copper coated or something like that.
I hear people saying they break on here but
my situation and experience using them was quite
the opposite. I had them on for months no breaks
and they sounded great. ( a bit to bright for my taste
now but still a good sound if you like a nice bright clear
almost metallic sound).

Okay, thanks! I don't think I'll want to try these. I don't like that kind of sound very much.

CountryMouse

Osprey
06-21-2014, 09:47 AM
Compared to the Aquilla Nyguts that came on my Kala-TEM I find the Aquilla Reds to have a fuller warmer sound. More sustain, not plinky at all. Several members of my Uke group have commented on how good my Uke sounds. I did change to low G at the same time
Cliff

CountryMouse
06-21-2014, 09:58 AM
Compared to the Aquilla Nyguts that came on my Kala-TEM I find the Aquilla Reds to have a fuller warmer sound. More sustain, not plinky at all. Several members of my Uke group have commented on how good my Uke sounds. I did change to low G at the same time
Cliff

Hmm! I'll keep that in mind. :)

CountryMouse

iamesperambient
06-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Cliff

its def warmer than nylguts, and i guess not 'plinky' but i still say their very metallic sounding almost like a reso-uke even the guy
who makes aquilla on his post here compared the sound to that of a reso uke aka very metallic and i agree. not exactly the sound i want
but i dont think their horrbile. I still recommend living water strings above all and than worth. I'm trying oasis i will let everyone know how i like those
once i get my package i ordered and install them on my kala concert.

ukuloonie
06-21-2014, 11:57 AM
My wife likes them on her Kala Mahogany Soprano, She had the Aquialas on before and it sounded boomy, maybe it was the age of the strings they were 6months or so
but when she put the Reds on she liked them, no metallic sound at all, the sound was more even and balanced.The boom had gone.
Once they settled they were fine they have been on her ukulele for about two months and no problems and she plays the Ukulele pretty much everyday.
As with all strings you have to try them to like them and each instrument has it's own little way of dealing with sound.
I know my wife likes them and we will getting more in the future.

steel rider
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Today I found my low g string broken. That's two broken strings. Never had so much trouble with strings. Too bad because they sound pretty good.

uke4ia
06-29-2014, 01:28 PM
I've got a high G set of Reds on my concert Fluke and I'm very happy with the sound. I'm looking forward to trying the low G on a tenor soon.

Booli
06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
Today I found my low g string broken. That's two broken strings. Never had so much trouble with strings. Too bad because they sound pretty good.

This may go against all that is holy, but it works. My solution to the Aquila Reds breaking at the nut [in addition to following TO THE LETTER, Mimmo's installation video instructions], is to take a q-tip that has a generous amount of regular vaseline petroleum jelly, and literally slather INTO the nut slots, and have a thick layer of it just in front of the nut, as tall as the nut, THEN, use the other end of the q-tip to remove the excess that is on the tuning-machines-side of the nut, but leave the wall of vaseline in FRONT of the nut.

Then string it up and tune it up. Once the strings settle, you can take another q-tip or tissues to remove whatever excess.

I find that the vaseline does little to harm the nut, the neck wood or the strings, if anything...

The place I've had a problem with strings breaking, and ONLY on this uke is my Kala Tenor (KA-T), and they snap at the saddle, which when I made the saddle from bone, I must have made the edge too sharp. About 2-weeks after stringing, almost on schedule, whatever string on the A-string, SNAPS. My Aquila Red A-string just snapped yesterday. Time to file the saddle edge at the apex again and try to round it off.

Fortunately, I rarely cut my strings, so I can re-thread through the bridge and tie it off again, and other than the inconvenience, will be back in business. :)

I came up with this idea after looking at the various string and nut lubricating products online, and it seemed to me that they were either using a vaseline type or lithium-grease type lubricant which they put into a nifty 10ml syringe. I'm not paying $18 for a $0.25 nifty syringe when the ingredients are something I have at home already.

I figured that petroleum jelly would be the least damaging to the uke, and without an offensive smell, and easiest to control, while still having enough viscosity to be an effective lubricant.

Try it and see if it helps. :)

-Booli

armchair_spaceman
06-29-2014, 06:42 PM

I had several low-G reds break at the nut on one of my tenors - the nut was bone and had been set up by a local luthier for a thinner string...edges of the slot were also bit sharp. My solution - rather than mess with the nut I started using an aquila wound low-G with the regular red C E A strings. Worked nice, the wound bass is a little brighter than the fat Red and IMO complements the other strings nicely.

pondweed
06-29-2014, 10:07 PM
They sound good on a Dolphin. Even better with an added low G as a 5 string... Easy to add into the nut and tie-off. I pick it up all the time and it has tone seemingly beyond its price.

actadh
06-30-2014, 02:23 AM
My wife likes them on her Kala Mahogany Soprano, She had the Aquialas on before and it sounded boomy, maybe it was the age of the strings they were 6months or so
but when she put the Reds on she liked them, no metallic sound at all, the sound was more even and balanced.The boom had gone.
Once they settled they were fine they have been on her ukulele for about two months and no problems and she plays the Ukulele pretty much everyday.
As with all strings you have to try them to like them and each instrument has it's own little way of dealing with sound.
I know my wife likes them and we will getting more in the future.

I like them on my Silvertone mahogany soprano. They have a wonderful sound. Great for strums or fingerpicking.

pixiepurls
06-30-2014, 02:38 AM
They sound good on a Dolphin. Even better with an added low G as a 5 string... Easy to add into the nut and tie-off. I pick it up all the time and it has tone seemingly beyond its price.

you added a 5th string to your dolphin? Details please! :D

billten
06-30-2014, 04:43 AM
I'm sorry to say i have given up with my low G reds, i broke one installing the low G and wrote it off to my error so i put a new one on (good job i bought extra three low G single red strings). It was on for a few days and came home to find it snapped at the nut, i'm thinking now that the nut is too tight so as this is my low G uke and it has a zero fret i open the nut slot up a fair amount and make sure the string flows smoothly through.

On Sunday i'm playing away and the low G string breaks again, i don't think i was digging in or anything and this is the first time i've had three strings break in succession so i'm sad to say that while the sound and feel of the low G red is great, i can't manage the breaking issues...

iamesperambient
06-30-2014, 04:49 AM
I'm sorry to say i have given up with my low G reds, i broke one installing the low G and wrote it off to my error so i put a new one on (good job i bought extra three low G single red strings). It was on for a few days and came home to find it snapped at the nut, i'm thinking now that the nut is too tight so as this is my low G uke and it has a zero fret i open the nut slot up a fair amount and make sure the string flows smoothly through.

On Sunday i'm playing away and the low G string breaks again, i don't think i was digging in or anything and this is the first time i've had three strings break in succession so i'm sad to say that while the sound and feel of the low G red is great, i can't manage the breaking issues...

i had reds on my concert les paul (which i sold).
they transformed its sound, and i had no issues in 6 months
with breakage. My next string i will be trying is the supernylgut on my tenor
and i will be revisiting reds again soon too.

KoaDependent
06-30-2014, 05:13 AM
The low G, being unwound, is thicker than most G strings. I had the same problem with breakage until I gently filed out the nut. Now my Low G is going on two months of nearly daily play.

drbekken
06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
The low G, being unwound, is thicker than most G strings. I had the same problem with breakage until I gently filed out the nut. Now my Low G is going on two months of nearly daily play.

Great idea. I'll try this, since I absolutely love the sound of the Red strings. The durability problem, however, is quite real. They seem to break very easily, even if Mimmo's instructions are followed ever so closely.

steel rider
07-18-2014, 09:39 AM
I thought I was in the clear with the Reds. Was even about to buy a set for my Eleuke. Then today the C string snapped. Can't tell if at the nut or the tuner.

Sadly, I will have to move on.

I love the Worth Brown on my Pono except that they take so long to settle. Might try those.

strumsilly
07-18-2014, 02:42 PM
that has been my experience too.even the new formulation. too bad because I liked how they sounded. To my ears ,I like wound strings .. I think 2 fluro and 2 wound sound best.

armchair_spaceman
07-20-2014, 12:58 AM
I quite like how they sound on two of my Ukes, I haven't yet had a breakage with the C E or A strings or high G on tenor or concert but am fed up with low G strings breaking, despite following the Mimmo instructions fastidiously. I'd rather use a different string than doctor my uke(s) to accommodate them, so my solution is to use a wound aquila Low G string in place of the Red Low G.

hammer40
07-20-2014, 08:44 AM
To bad their is still a breakage issue with these strings, since it sounds like everybody likes the sound of them. I wanted to try them and have been waiting to see if they get it all sorted out. I guess the copper/nylon mix just makes them brittle.

Luke El U
07-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I love them, and I've noticed the two low G pops I did have on my tenors were installed by someone else, not me. I really think that the low G needs care and patience when tuning it. You can't just slap it on and tune it to pitch right away. It needs time (2 or more days) to stretch.

UkerDanno
07-20-2014, 12:10 PM
so, no problems with the new formula high G sets? I think they would look awesome on my Islander...(and the sound seems to not be a problem)

tbeltrans
07-20-2014, 01:17 PM
Reading this thread, I am a bit concerned now since I just ordered a couple of sets of Concert low g strings from Elderly. They are Aquila 104U, which have a red low g, but otherwise "normal" Aquila strings. On guitars, it is common practice to use a pencil to apply its lead in the nut grooves to allow the strings to slide through more easily, alleviating breakage problems. If that doesn't work, then it is time to do a bit of careful filing. Maybe that will work on the ukulele too? These are for me Kamaka Ohta San which came from the factory with a set of low g strings on it, so I assume the nut is appropriately grooved already. Where is the "Mimmo's installation video instructions" that I saw referred to in this thread?

Thanks,

Tony