NUD! Bruko Longneck Cedar & Mahogany Soprano

Vagrant

Reaction score
Well, I actually got it yesterday morning, but spent yesterday and today fitting a new lower bone saddle and bone nut (and Worth strings). I used ox bone from 1885, so well cured and very dense!

It has mahogany back and sides, three piece mahogany and maple neck (concert size), and a cedar top with mahogany binding.

It sounds so nice, it makes my flat soprano Bruko sound... well, flat! With the cedar top and bone saddle it has much more resonance and sustain, and doesn't have the 'plonk' sound the flat soprano has. I also lowered the action while I was at it - when it arrived the strings were 4.5mm from the top of the 12th fret, and I took that down to 3mm. It still has tons of volume, but is a lot easier to play.

This is my first concert scale ukulele (albeit with a soprano body), and can already say I love it, it's much much easier to play than my soprano, and makes me want to pick it a lot (like a scab... well, a nice scab... ah, you know what I mean). Where the flat soprano sounds a bit dull when picked, this one sings out.

Anyway, here are some pictures. One day I might get the equipment, skill and bravery to do a video!

1-IMG_3136.jpg
2-IMG_3141.jpg
3-IMG_3142.JPG
4-IMG_3143.JPG
5-IMG_3144.jpg

That is super nice looking. I didn't know Bruko did a long neck soprano, I really, really like that. Congratulations on a beautiful looking, and I am sure sounding instrument.

That is real nice Vagrant. Had that instrument been available on my return from a recent trip I'd have purchased it. Good for you. I have a 3/4 tenor Brüko w/ cedar top, ovankol back and sides. It is fabulous with presence that is remarkable. Great for classical style playing and guess what? It sounds like no other Brüko! So don't believe the hype when they say all Brükos sound the same because they definitely do not.

Congrats on a lovely ukulele! I bet that cedar top adds a lot of character. Enjoy your Brüko!

Hi all,
thanks for your compliments - now I just need to get better at playing so the sounds match the looks!

I have a 3/4 tenor Brüko w/ cedar top, ovankol back and sides. It is fabulous with presence that is remarkable. Great for classical style playing and guess what? It sounds like no other Brüko! So don't believe the hype when they say all Brükos sound the same because they definitely do not.

They currently have a jumbo concert listed, 3/4 with cedar top and ovankol back and sides, and I was really torn between that one and this longneck - in the end the 100 Euro price difference swung it! Neither of my Bruko's sound the same, but the differences are probably quite subtle. One day I might go for the jumbo concert... or maybe a Pono concert... or.... or... or... !

A couple of months ago, I didn't even know what action was... and a ukulele sounded like a ukulele sounded like a ukulele. Modifying mine has really helped get my ear in quick.
Right, now I'm off to play the thing!

Top Bottom