My first uke!

bml2k2

Reaction score
I just bought my first uke from Mim's yesterday. It's a Ohana CK-20s. I can hardly wait for it to arrive!
I plan on taking a group beginner uke class this summer, but anyone have recommendations on websites, videos, books for beginners that I can play around with between now and mid July when the class starts? I really don't think I can wait to learn!

Welcome to the world of uke! I enjoy playing through the book "Ukulele Aerobics". I play through about an exercise a day and it's so good building up the technical skills. If you start out on that book and play every day, when the class starts you're going to be so far ahead :D

Welcome to the world of uke! I enjoy playing through the book "Ukulele Aerobics". I play through about an exercise a day and it's so good building up the technical skills. If you start out on that book and play every day, when the class starts you're going to be so far ahead :D
I'm doing the same thing. Ukulele Aerobics seems to be working well. I also go to ultimateguitar.com and get songs that I like, learn the chords, and play them while I sing the tunes. That is a lot of fun. Most of the songs on ultimateguitar.com have the uke chords for the song at the bottom of the list.

Congratulations and welcome! Mim will take good care of you and send a great uke.

Resources are helpful. But remember to actually play, for yourself and for fun... It's so easy to get caught in the information trap, easy to get there and hard to get out. Play the uke, that's what it's made for and ultimately that's what you want to do. :)

Don't forget that UU has some great training as well.

Another fun place to look is at http://www.ukulele-tabs.com/ they have a ton of Ukulele tabs and a few tutorials as well. The only problem with that site though is that the tabs are blocked in the UK due to pretty strict copyright laws in the UK.

Aloha and welcome to UU. You picked a winner there. The CK-20 is one sweet uke for the price and I'm sure Mim will have it ready to go for you. Don't forget to check out all the great free vids on the main UU website.

Make sure to post pics when it arrives!

Enjoy

Thanks! To everybody for all the info! I ended up signing up for UU+ after looking at the other sites (which are so helpful) I decided I liked the structure of UU best. My uke should be arriving today! I'm so excited to start playing it! Especially since I'm thoroughly informed on the basics from watching videos! Now I just think I need to practice! Hopefully I'll be bored in the group class I'm taking that starts in July! Lol! I'll post pictures when my uke arrives! Unless I'm too distracted playing it! ;)

Hey, you'll be the star of the class at the uke class next month! I took some uke classes a few months after buying my first uke, and still use the first songs we learned as my warm-ups. We'll be expecting photos later today, so don't disappoint us!

Sadly, I'm disappointed. It wasn't delivered as expected today. I called the post office and they have no idea where it currently is. They said they have until the 22nd to deliver it. :(

Thanks! To everybody for all the info! I ended up signing up for UU+ after looking at the other sites (which are so helpful) I decided I liked the structure of UU best. My uke should be arriving today! I'm so excited to start playing it! Especially since I'm thoroughly informed on the basics from watching videos! Now I just think I need to practice! Hopefully I'll be bored in the group class I'm taking that starts in July! Lol! I'll post pictures when my uke arrives! Unless I'm too distracted playing it! ;)

You will learn a ton from the UU videos. I am also enjoying YouTube videos done by Kimo Hussey, one of my favorite performers and teachers. He is wonderful. Check him out. https://www.youtube.com/user/KimoHusseyUkulele/videos

Sadly, I'm disappointed. It wasn't delivered as expected today. I called the post office and they have no idea where it currently is. They said they have until the 22nd to deliver it. :(

Sorry it isn't there! I bought an Ohana from Mim and I love that thing! I'm an Ohana fan as it is. She does a great setup. The wait is tough, but once you get it, you will be very happy!

It came today! It's so pretty! I absolutely love it and am thrilled with my choice! So glad I found this forum for the recommendation to go through someone like Mim!
I'm amazed how light it is and the sound is exactly what I was looking for! I tuned it easily and practiced strumming and started working on learning the C, G, and F chords. I'm taking ukulele 101 on UU+ so I'm sure I'll come along quickly! I'm kinda sad I'm going away for the weekend, because I just want to play on my new uke! But at least it's here safe and sound!
One other question, what do you all use to wipe you uke down and care for it?
image.jpg

For wooden instruments like violins, guitars etc you get the microfiber cloths. They take the dust right off. I keep one in my bag.

My Cordoba uke came with a polishing cloth and I also bought some "guitar honey" polish that I think does a nice job. I only use the polish rarely and usually just wipe the dust off with the polishing cloth. You should take that uke with you this weekend. There is always little moments where you can find time to play. I am going camping this weekend and am really looking forward to strumming around the campfire. I also take mine on business trips.

Woo hoo! Glad it made it. Hope you don't have any other plans for the weekend:)

Enjoy

Congratulations! You can't go wrong with a Mims Ukes Ohana. As Stan always says, Happy Strumming!!!

Top Bottom