Looking for "quiet" strings...

pixiepurls

Reaction score
My martin is pretty loud. i didn't really like the Aquila's that came on it, and the T2's are nice and clear but kinda boomy with the already loud uke. Worth browns maybe?

Worth browns

Ko'olau Mahanos very mellow

My martin is pretty loud. i didn't really like the Aquila's that came on it, and the T2's are nice and clear but kinda boomy with the already loud uke. Worth browns maybe?

worth browns , living water
or oasis mellow

The D'Addario Pro Arte set on my Blackbird tenor is very warm.

Worth Browns, yes. Or Southcoast lights. But the Lights are quiet(er) because they have less tention, like a lot less to me anyway, than Fremonts, Aquilas or La Bellas which are my current favorite but not quiet.

Worth Browns, yes. Or Southcoast lights. But the Lights are quiet(er) because they have less tention, like a lot less to me anyway, than Fremonts, Aquilas or La Bellas which are my current favorite but not quiet.

are la bellas good quality? i always assumed they were discount or cheap strings. I kind of want to try them but wasn't sure how good they were. Would they be comparable to GHS?

are la bellas good quality? i always assumed they were discount or cheap strings. I kind of want to try them but wasn't sure how good they were. Would they be comparable to GHS?

The LaBella string sets are nearly identical to ours, mainly because we all get our nylon strings from the same source. It's one of the few strings that many places do not make.

When I got my Martin sop. it was fitted with Aquilas. For me it sounded too brash and "in yer face" so I strung it with Worth Browns. To my ears they suit it very well indeed.

Last edited:
Okay ordered the Browns from HMS, will try those southcoast lights eventually as well to try. Thanks! :) I wonder how long a tiny string envelope takes to get to the east coast from HMS!

Okay ordered the Browns from HMS, will try those southcoast lights eventually as well to try. Thanks! :) I wonder how long a tiny string envelope takes to get to the east coast from HMS!

If its sent Priority Mail, 2-3 days-- even from Hawaii!

YOu might check out La Bella's. I took them off my new uke because they toned it down way too much for my taste.

These are currently the quietest strings I know of:

stringuku.jpg

:)

Wish I got to this thread sooner so I could sell OP my old, used, dead strings before all the good suggestions started rolling in. ;)

Martin M600s?

I agree. I think Martins new and vintage sound best with Martin M600s personally. They're made for those ukes figuratively and literally. A close second for me are worth clears and living waters.

I know OP has already ordered some other strings, but thought it worth mentioning for next time.

Top Bottom