PDA

View Full Version : James Hill's "The Ukulele Way"

PhilUSAFRet
06-17-2014, 12:17 PM
Just got an email and registered, waiting on an email to "validate" my account. Anyone else had a chance to check it out? Thoughts?
Free vs Paid membership? Compared to UU?

mds725
06-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Just got an email and registered, waiting on an email to "validate" my account. Anyone else had a chance to check it out? Thoughts?
Free vs Paid membership? Compared to UU?

I got the same email message, went through the process of subscribing to the free membership, and have been waiting for a few hours for my validation email from the site. I don't particularly like monthy subscriptions, and I thought I'd check out the free area before deciding about subscribing.

Brad Bordessa
06-17-2014, 04:43 PM
I'm part of The Ukulele Way admin team so maybe I can shed some light... Servers went down today under the influx of new signups and we seem to have lost some activation emails. PhilUSAFRet, it looks like you're good to go and mds725, I just manually activated your account so you can go check it out.

The community is pretty cool. Very searchable so you can find peeps with similar playing experience, genres, styles, etc... Like Facebook for uke players.

coolkayaker1
06-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Interesting, for sure.

Like Mark, and perhaps even more than he, I don't sign up for recurring payments. Is there a non-recurring option? For comparison, UUPlus lessons give both options for billing (as I recall).

Love your banner for Point A. I must have listened to it, honestly, ten or twelve times, most recently yesterday through headphones while mowing my lawn. Lol. Awesome, Brad.

M3Ukulele
06-18-2014, 03:48 AM
Brad, check and see if you can get my email activated. System says it went it but no replay email. Thanks. I'm trying the free section first, then would rather to a 3 or 6 month - one time payment as opposed to monthly, auto payments. Any chance that option will be coming as coolkayaker1 said?

1931jim
06-18-2014, 03:58 AM
I also received that email invitation. The Ukulele Way have not acknowledged as of yet however. Possibly still down from overload.

xyz
06-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Worked great for me, had a look at the free lessons, even if it's basic stuff there are always small tips from James Hill that are very interesting. In the end I registered for the full membership. Each lesson feels like a small workshop with James Hill.

bborzell
06-18-2014, 06:39 AM
Not sure if what I looked at is representative but, for those who learn material by reading Tab, it looked to me like all the offerings are in standard notation.

didgeridoo2
06-18-2014, 06:55 AM
Not sure if what I looked at is representative but, for those who learn material by reading Tab, it looked to me like all the offerings are in standard notation.

Yes. This follows the ukes in the classroom approach of teaching music literacy along with learning to play uke. The ukulele way method actually progresses the player a little quicker than the ukes in the classroom series, and you can choose to learn using reentrant tuning or linear (low g) tuning with each lesson. And if you get stuck in a lesson, there are folks who have gone through the certification process there to help.

KevinV
06-18-2014, 06:58 AM

He does mention in the Preface section under "Notation" that tablature is used, however it was the heavy use of standard notation that really drew me to the program. I have nothing against tab and use it frequently, but I'd like to be more proficient at sight-reading for the uke.

I got my invitation email yesterday morning and signed up for the free account to see what it looked like. By evening I had gotten a paid subscription. I'm not a huge fan of recurring payments either, but the default is through PayPal and you can stop it at anytime from your PayPal page if you're so inclined.

I think it looks like a great program and am excited to be a part of it. Like xyz said…it's like having small workshops with James Hill available.

Brad Bordessa
06-18-2014, 07:18 AM
I will put a bug in James' ear that there is interest in a longer subscription period.

M3Ukulele, it looks like your account is activated. Try logging in and let me know if you have trouble.

James thought there might be concern about the lack of tab so he made this: http://theukuleleway.com/images/documents/The-Ukulele-Way-Note-Chart-C6.pdf.

Ukejenny
06-18-2014, 07:27 AM
Just registered. Woot!

flailingfingers
06-18-2014, 08:02 AM
http://theukuleleway.com/images/documents/The-Ukulele-Way-Note-Chart-C6.pdf[/url].

Very nice! Thanks.

philrab66
06-18-2014, 08:10 AM
I will put a bug in James' ear that there is interest in a longer subscription period.

M3Ukulele, it looks like your account is activated. Try logging in and let me know if you have trouble.

James thought there might be concern about the lack of tab so he made this: http://theukuleleway.com/images/documents/The-Ukulele-Way-Note-Chart-C6.pdf.
Looks a great idea. Wish he had included tab takes me forever to figure out the notes when you are used to tab.

SailingUke
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Looks a great idea. Wish he had included tab takes me forever to figure out the notes when you are used to tab.

I thought the same thing, but this is a good chance for me to improve my notation skills.
Reading the notes in the staff really is not that difficult.

wickedwahine11
06-18-2014, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much for the link to that chart. It is much appreciated and very helpful.

coolkayaker1
06-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Once people have tried Brad and James's The Ukulele Way, could anyone familiar with UU Plus compare them, please.

iDavid
06-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Can you print off the sheet music with the paid version of the site, or do you need to get the books?

philrab66
06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Once people have tried Brad and James's The Ukulele Way, could anyone familiar with UU Plus compare them, please.
i subscribe for a few months it is very outdated compared to this. Aldrine done the lessons live years ago so quality is not very good. Also I do not think there are many updates.

Ukejenny
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
I LOVE this!!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

CeeJay
06-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Still waiting to be e-mailed to be activated..CJarvis.......

Brad Bordessa
06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Still waiting to be e-mailed to be activated..CJarvis.......

Try logging in now. You should be all set.

CeeJay
06-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Try logging in now. You should be all set.

Sir.

You are a gentleman and a scholar .

I Thank Yow. (do the accent )

Cheers

Chris

coolkayaker1
06-18-2014, 10:12 PM
But it does seem strange that his staff need to use a competing board to solve problems, when PMs and emails etc exist.

I see that The Ukulele Way lessons are an alternative lesson system to UUs, but I never considered the new forum board until you put it that way, Bill. It's an interesting perspective. Is that what James is building, a competing board to UU Forums?

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 03:04 AM
Well good cause I've just about had it with this place.

(just kidding folks :nana:)

didgeridoo2
06-19-2014, 05:15 AM
I see that The Ukulele Way lessons are an alternative lesson system to UUs, but I never considered the new forum board until you put it that way, Bill. It's an interesting perspective. Is that what James is building, a competing board to UU Forums?
It's a byproduct of his ukes in the classroom program. The social aspect is a tool to help people work their way through the material he's been working on for a long time. I guess that could evolve, but I don't think his intention is to compete with UU.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 05:29 AM
Well there's also the money thing. Let's never forget the bottom line folks. We all want to cash in on our skills and have a great material life. I'm fairly sure this is going to add to his coffers considerably.

23skidoo
06-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Yep, I subscribed yesterday. The lessons look incredibly well done and put together. The material currently posted will be a great review and help me fill in the gaps and clean up my self-taught shortfalls (especially the reading), but I'm looking forward to the next installment of material that's 'coming soon'. I consider my subscription an investment in the future content of the site.... any indication of when books 4,5,& 6 are coming out?

As far as the social side of it.... I may be behind the times, but the community side of it seems unwieldy and hard to decipher.... I'm sure as I connect with people and narrow the focus of my usage, the interface will make a little more sense (and be easier to use when the speed picks up), but I don't see it as any sort of challenge or threat to UU at all - a different kettle of fish altogether.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 05:42 AM
Could you say how it's a different kettle of fish altogether? It seems quite similar to me at first glance.

SailingUke
06-19-2014, 05:54 AM
I don't see "The Ukulele Way" as competition to UU.
James as been involved in ukulele (music) education for a long time.
Along with his playing ability, he is a VERY accomplished teacher.
His teacher certification program is first class.
In a recent discussion I had with James he expressed that on of the goals of the new program was to get teachers to a higher level before entering the certification program.
As a by product all of us get a chance to take the same lessons at our own pace.
There are many great instructors and programs to choose from including UU lessons.
I have been trying for years to learn play chords and melody at the same time.
I have taken workshops from some of the best players and instructors and practiced for hours.
A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to attend another James Hill workshop, I learned more in 3 hours than I could have imagined.
He told me about the beta version and I came home and signed up. I am working my way through each lesson.
This style of playing may not be for everyone, but for those with an interest in chord melodies it is a great resource.

I have so many ukulele friends from all over the world and UU as helped me make more connections.
For the most part the forum folks are friendly and supportive, but every once in while comments get a little side tracked.
As the saying goes, "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything."

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 06:05 AM
You say competition like it's a bad thing. Competition usually raises the bar for everyone. And they are both offering a teaching service so it going to be competitive by it's very nature of being a business servicing the same clientele.

And personally I think the saying that "if you can't say something nice don't say anything" is used to force people to toe the party line more than anything valuable. A little disagreement is good for growth IMO.

I'm all for competition.

23skidoo
06-19-2014, 06:12 AM
Could you say how it's a different kettle of fish altogether? It seems quite similar to me at first glance.

I might be wrong, but I don't see people using the community function there in a social way - at least not to the extent that the forums here or various ukulele-related Facebook groups get used. They seem intended as a supplement to the material.....

I've always viewed the UU forums as purely social. Having come to the ukulele from guitar, I didn't really use any of the instructional material from the UU fellows to get started - a few videos here and there, but I never felt the need to pay for their premium content. It seems well put together, but the samples I saw just didn't look like what I needed. It seems to me that the vast majority of folks here - at least the ones I interact with - are in the same boat.... we use the forums, but not the actual UU site. I give them money as a UU VIP to support my use, but that's the extent of it.

I suppose some folks might connect with others at The Ukulele Way and use that as their primary ukulele-related social site, but I don't see it happening.... and, as I said, I don't think what it's designed to do. As for me - I barely have time to keep up with all the ukulele stuff on FB and here.... I'll use the instructional material at TUW and the community as needed, but I see it as a purely instructional site with a social aspect to it - the opposite of how I see most people use UU.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 06:34 AM
Well, we'll have to see but I expect the social aspect of JH's site to become a big part of it's function down the road. I'd be quite surprised if it isn't.

I admit its a little early to tell but I don't see JH's program having skill sets in teaching that go far and beyond what is offered here. I'm a big fan of James and if I was starting out I'd choose him based on personality as much as anything especially as a beginner or intermediate. To really rate the teaching qualities of both sites I'd have to know a lot more than I do at this point. So I'd choose based on personality and I'd choose James because I'm way into his musical style and the type of person I perceive him to be. So to socialize on his site would be a real draw for me and I imagine many others who are fans of his.

And even if you don't use the classes here the information gleaned from this site has been invaluable for my progress. I can't see any reason that would be any less at JH's site.

didgeridoo2
06-19-2014, 06:49 AM
Well, we'll have to see but I expect the social aspect of JH's site to become a big part of it's function down the road. I'd be quite surprised if it isn't.

I admit its a little early to tell but I don't see JH's program having skill sets in teaching that go far and beyond what is offered here. I'm a big fan of James and if I was starting out I'd choose him based on personality as much as anything especially as a beginner or intermediate. To really rate the teaching qualities of both sites I'd have to know a lot more than I do at this point. So I'd choose based on personality and I'd choose James because I'm way into his musical style and the type of person I perceive him to be. So to socialize on his site would be a real draw for me and I imagine many others who are fans of his.

And even if you don't use the classes here the information gleaned from this site has been invaluable for my progress. I can't see any reason that would be any less at JH's site.
Not familiar with the UU program, but James' Ukes in the Classroom program was developed by JH and Chalmers Doane. Chalmers Doane was responsible for developing music education in Canada where ukulele was used instead of the recorder. Look up the Langley Ukulele Ensemble and you should get an idea of what his program is capable of developing. I've been enrolled in the JHUI teaching certification program for the past three years. A large percentage of the people involved are school music teachers and all involved must teach in order to become certified. It's a music literacy program as much as it's a uke playing program.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 08:18 AM
And? What is that supposed to tell me about the difference? I've checked out quite a few teaching programs online and in books and they all follow a similar format for the most part. They all or most all attempt to teach you or encourage you in music literacy and theory along with basic mechanics of playing the uke.

What am I missing here?

didgeridoo2
06-19-2014, 09:02 AM
And?

What am I missing here?
What are you looking for? If you are truly interested in a teaching program, this one is as good as it gets. The process is simple, logical and fun.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm looking to find if there is any major difference between this program and others out there including the UU program. I have books I'm already using somewhat successfully. Why do I need yet another?

Am I not making myself clear? I want to know what's special about this compared to all the other fine instructors out there?

didgeridoo2
06-19-2014, 09:43 AM
Looks like you have some research to do. Here's a start: Jim D'ville interviewed James last week.

http://youtu.be/p4WhVWyKCFc

Can't help you with all the other options out there. Can only speak about my three years experience working with James. Good luck in your search.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Actually I'm satisfied with what I've found here and in the five or so books I have and all the free online info out there, so far. Asking you here WAS my research as you are associated with his program. I've joined for the free forum part as I love to talk uke and meet other players. I'll be interested to see who shows up.

didgeridoo2
06-19-2014, 10:25 AM
Actually I'm satisfied with what I've found here and in the five or so books I have and all the free online info out there, so far. Asking you here WAS my research as you are associated with his program. I've joined for the free forum part as I love to talk uke and meet other players. I'll be interested to see who shows up.
My only association is my certification through the James Hill Ukulele Initiative. The Ukulele Way is similar to the more intensive program I've been involved with. I was invited to beta test the site and have been for the past 5 or 6 weeks. I'll use and pay for the site like everyone else. I'll also help other members when they need it if I can. Other folks have attested to the quality of the lessons. Not sure what your goal is, but if you are happy with what you got, terrific. But you had to make a leap of faith to get started there and I think you need to do that with any program, including this one.

LloydAZ
06-19-2014, 10:53 AM
I signed up yesterday for the free side of the site. I took a look at the lessons that were being offered and decided that I could afford $9.00 CDN (Currently $8.50 US) a month, so I subscribed.

Is the site a replacement for UU??? Absolutely not! It's more of a social network for Ukulele players with lessons included. There aren't any forums there like we have here on UU. It's more of a "FaceBook" style site as far as discussions are concerned and not an ordered set of topics that anyone can respond to.

Is it a replacement for FaceBook??? Far from it. It's a specialized site for those interested in the Ukulele. It may some day have 1 million + subscribers (probably mostly free accounts) but will never reach the billions of people that FaceBook has.

You can't blame anyone for wanting to make a living from your talents. It's what all of us do that are currently working (talent is more than just singing, dancing, acting or playing music.) I'm sure James is making something off of this, but probably not that much as the costs of running a web site such as this can be quite high. As the site becomes more popular and the need for bandwidth, server space, and database requirements increases, so will the costs involved with running the site. You also have to consider the number of people who will sign up for the site for the "free" stuff and never subscribe. There is still the cost of handling the extra data on the site for those users as well.

Heck, I'd be curious to know how many servers, how much average daily bandwidth, and how much database storage that UU uses.

Overall, I say it's a great site that is well worth looking at. You don't have to pay if you don't think that the lessons are what you are looking for. It's a fun place for likeminded individuals who have a common passion... The Ukulele.

Icelander53
06-19-2014, 11:43 AM
My only association is my certification through the James Hill Ukulele Initiative. The Ukulele Way is similar to the more intensive program I've been involved with. I was invited to beta test the site and have been for the past 5 or 6 weeks. I'll use and pay for the site like everyone else. I'll also help other members when they need it if I can. Other folks have attested to the quality of the lessons. Not sure what your goal is, but if you are happy with what you got, terrific. But you had to make a leap of faith to get started there and I think you need to do that with any program, including this one.

Agreed. I'll postpone any leaping of faith for when some feedback comes in from members over time. I'd like to see how others view it in the coming weeks an months. Like I said I'm a very big fan of JH so I wish him success.

SailingUke
06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Agreed. I'll postpone any leaping of faith for when some feedback comes in from members over time. I'd like to see how others view it in the coming weeks an months. Like I said I'm a very big fan of JH so I wish him success.

I truly believe anyone who joins and works on all the lessons and puts in practice time will benefit far more than James will from the website.

Edgeguy
06-20-2014, 03:53 AM
I did join the free membership, and might do the pay after doing the 6 free lessons.

I am a tab guy also, but want to learn standard notation, but I have one question. Why are there no notes on the g string? It's probably obvious, but I am not seeing it.

1931jim
06-20-2014, 04:10 AM
Hello Edgeguy,
Please check the linear at the very bottom of the .pdf.
Jim.

hent
06-20-2014, 04:29 AM
I also joined and I'll have to check the free lessons and see if it's what I like.

Edgeguy
06-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Hello Edgeguy,
Please check the linear at the very bottom of the .pdf.
Jim.

Thanks, but isn't that for a low g string I have re-entrant’ tuning? I know the notes on th g string are combination of the e and a string mainly.

philrab66
06-20-2014, 09:34 AM
I did join the free membership, and might do the pay after doing the 6 free lessons.

I am a tab guy also, but want to learn standard notation, but I have one question. Why are there no notes on the g string? It's probably obvious, but I am not seeing it.
Because he has only covered the C scale?

1931jim
06-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Thanks, but isn't that for a low g string I have re-entrant’ tuning? I know the notes on th g string are combination of the e and a string mainly.
Hello once again Edgeguy,
Lets suppose your ukulele has 18 frets. If you look at note #8 on the top stave located at fret 3 on the second string that will be the note of your open g string. Then continue with the notes from #8 to note #18 at the end of the second stave before the double bar which is note C on the 2nd line above the stave located at fret 15 on the first string. Here is where your mental gymnastics take over as the note on the 15th fret of string 1 is the same note or pitch as the 17th fret of string 4.
Regards
Jim.
PS: This is the same as you no doubt are aware of whenever you are tuning your instrument. For example fret 3 on string 2 is same note as the open g on string 4.

Ukejungle
06-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Looks like you have some research to do. Here's a start: Jim D'ville interviewed James last week.

http://youtu.be/p4WhVWyKCFc

Can't help you with all the other options out there. Can only speak about my three years experience working with James. Good luck in your search.

Marty Robbins would be so proud here.

coolkayaker1
06-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Okay,dumb question here which I'll justify because I don't play low G and bc I'm losing my marbles: on The Ukulele Way conversion chart PDF that Mr Bordessa linked, the lower right says "extra notes in linear tuning". It shows seven distinct notes on the musical scale. On the fingering diagram, however, it has five different fingerlings...the second and third, and the fifth and sixth, diagrams are the same. Why is this? Are there 5 or 7 additional notes on a low G uke? Thank you in advance for any answers.

http://theukuleleway.com/images/documents/The-Ukulele-Way-Note-Chart-C6.pdf

didgeridoo2
06-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Okay,dumb question here which I'll justify because I don't play low G and bc I'm losing my marbles: on The Ukulele Way conversion chart PDF that Mr Bordessa linked, the lower right says "extra notes in linear tuning". It shows seven distinct notes on the musical scale. On the fingering diagram, however, it has five different fingerlings...the second and third, and the fifth and sixth, diagrams are the same. Why is this? Are there 5 or 7 additional notes on a low G uke? Thank you in advance for any answers.

Since he runs up and down the chromatic scale showing you sharps and flats, he shows you both on the additional notes diagram. You really only get an additional 5 semitones with low G.

stevepetergal
06-20-2014, 01:18 PM
It's 5. The G# and Ab are in the same position. The A# and Bb are in the same position. 7 notes in 5 frets.

Ukejungle
06-20-2014, 01:36 PM

I believe those are the additional bass notes of a Low G string in musical notation, (the extra notes below the re-entrant open 3rd sting (C note) which is the lowest note on typical strung uke)

Trey

coolkayaker1
06-20-2014, 03:23 PM
It's 5. The G# and Ab are in the same position. The A# and Bb are in the same position. 7 notes in 5 frets.

I appreciate everyone's answers. Thanks.

So, I'm only missing out on five notes by playing high G. Funny, because low G sounds to my ear so...well...low; only five notes lower, in actuality. Five semitones.

CeeJay
06-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I appreciate everyone's answers. Thanks.

So, I'm only missing out on five notes by playing high G. Funny, because low G sounds to my ear so...well...low; only five notes lower, in actuality. Five semitones.

Yes ...in fact if you think about (possibly )the only other re-entrant instrument ..the 5 string banjo the re entrant string does not even start until the fifth fret.

It is this that gives the brightness to the strumming or picking of the two instruments.......

To my ears ukes sound a bit "muddy" when people try and play them soprano strum style when they have low g strings.......

But to finger pick re-entrant you only have five less notes..or semitones ...as you observe....

So if I fingerpick a soprano I try and think of it as a three string instrument and a drone (like a 5 string banjo)

coolkayaker1
06-20-2014, 05:50 PM
It is this that gives the brightness to the strumming or picking of the two instruments (banjo and uke).......

To my ears ukes sound a bit "muddy" when people try and play them soprano strum style when they have low g strings.......

So if I fingerpick a soprano I try and think of it as a three string instrument and a drone (like a 5 string banjo)

Ceejay, these are outstanding points. I agree with the muddiness of low G on a soprano bc I, too, tried it.

Your two other points hit the nail on the head. And even for larger size ukuleles than sops. Gerald Ross, in his Bosko and Honey video, displays BOTH of your good points--the unique tones and brightness of a high G uke and a banjo, and the drone of the G string--in this video. Please watch it from 2:30 min on to around 4:20 min for the two examples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLIWRfY66A0

Thanks again for input, all. Back to The Ukulele Way (if I took the course, I'd know all this...lol)

CeeJay
06-21-2014, 02:32 AM
No my padowan ...you just have to get old and curmudgeonly with a ukulele somewhere in the house .....mmmm...a bit like me lol..:old:

(Actually I wish things like this had been around in the 70s when I started ...I might not have binned the uke in the 80's .....picked it up again in 2011 ish)

Just watching and listening to Peanut Vendor on the vid ....my ambition is to have a crack at that this afternoon ...the uke is tuned in C so a G will make a good drone and you can play in G or D easily enough and it will fit in there too ....

Oh now he's just showing off his guitar collection (little green eyed god of envy creeping in there :rolleyes:)

Chris

haertig
06-21-2014, 11:01 AM
I just registered for the site this morning (only a free membership at this time - so I can look around before deciding to pay). My initial impresions are good. This looks like what I want to learn (I am a rank beginner), and the design of the website is superb.

However, the website may be overloaded or something. Very slow loading pages, if they even load at all. Maybe I'll wait to go for the paid membership until the rough spots in bandwidth (or whatever is causing the problem) are smoothed out. It looks like the website just launched, so maybe it is experiencing some growing pains. I also found the first book for the course is already unavailable (sold out?) However, I was able to watch two of the videos before things slowed to a crawl, and they were very informative and extremely well done (production-wise).

The website was faster last night (late evening). It's still not a racehorse, but it was much better than earlier in the day for me. The video streams flawlessly. It streamed flawlessly before too, but it just took forever for the page to load so you could get to the point where you could start streaming. But, like I said, it was much better last evening. I must have hit a heavy-use time earlier in the day when it was giving me problems.

barefootgypsy
06-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Worked great for me, had a look at the free lessons, even if it's basic stuff there are always small tips from James Hill that are very interesting. In the end I registered for the full membership. Each lesson feels like a small workshop with James Hill.I agree, I signed up the other day - I think James Hill has everything right here - the monthly sub is very cheap ($9, £5.05 sterling) and you can opt out at any time. I think that's great value - and even if you're no longer a beginner, I found things to learn and skills to practise on the first few videos! It's very structured, which you would expect as James is a great teacher!

philrab66
06-23-2014, 07:49 AM
I'm part of The Ukulele Way admin team so maybe I can shed some light... Servers went down today under the influx of new signups and we seem to have lost some activation emails. PhilUSAFRet, it looks like you're good to go and mds725, I just manually activated your account so you can go check it out.

The community is pretty cool. Very searchable so you can find peeps with similar playing experience, genres, styles, etc... Like Facebook for uke players.

Hi Hippie Guy any updates on the site was getting slower and slower now it wont load at all.

didgeridoo2
06-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Hi Hippie Guy any updates on the site was getting slower and slower now it wont load at all.

James said it would be down a bit today to upgrade the server and it should be pretty quick when finished.

Ukejenny
06-23-2014, 08:11 AM
The site appears to be down, so I hope the upgrades are going well.

Brad Bordessa
06-23-2014, 08:44 AM
James said it would be down a bit today to upgrade the server and it should be pretty quick when finished.

Yep. Looking forward to the speed!

coolkayaker1
06-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Spending a day at the tennis academy in Massachusetts, hitting backhands in "the lung" with Hal Incandenza from Infinite Jest, would be a fun time!

coolkayaker1
06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
~~~Sorry, wrong forum, post below~~~that was meant for my bookish forum when someone asked what could be more fun than riding the carousel in the park with Holden and his sister, Phoebe. ~~~

KoaDependent
06-24-2014, 03:47 AM
You shouldn't have apologized. A healthy dose of nonsequitur is good for the brain every now and then.

Ask your doctor whether NonSequitur™ is right for you!

haertig
06-24-2014, 06:16 PM
The site was blazingly fast today. Great job on the upgrades! I just put in my full membership and I'm starting in on the lessons.

LloydAZ
06-25-2014, 11:37 AM
I also found the first book for the course is already unavailable (sold out?) However, I was able to watch two of the videos before things slowed to a crawl, and they were very informative and extremely well done (production-wise).

I sent a message to James a couple of days ago informing him that the books were out of stock. He responded that he would contact the publisher and find out when they would become available again. I just checked and they are now available.

The site is also a lot faster now after their server upgrade this weekend.