James Hill's "The Ukulele Way"

PhilUSAFRet

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just got an email and registered, waiting on an email to "validate" my account. Anyone else had a chance to check it out? Thoughts?
Free vs Paid membership? Compared to UU?

Just got an email and registered, waiting on an email to "validate" my account. Anyone else had a chance to check it out? Thoughts?
Free vs Paid membership? Compared to UU?

I got the same email message, went through the process of subscribing to the free membership, and have been waiting for a few hours for my validation email from the site. I don't particularly like monthy subscriptions, and I thought I'd check out the free area before deciding about subscribing.

I'm part of The Ukulele Way admin team so maybe I can shed some light... Servers went down today under the influx of new signups and we seem to have lost some activation emails. PhilUSAFRet, it looks like you're good to go and mds725, I just manually activated your account so you can go check it out.

The community is pretty cool. Very searchable so you can find peeps with similar playing experience, genres, styles, etc... Like Facebook for uke players.

Interesting, for sure.

Like Mark, and perhaps even more than he, I don't sign up for recurring payments. Is there a non-recurring option? For comparison, UUPlus lessons give both options for billing (as I recall).

Love your banner for Point A. I must have listened to it, honestly, ten or twelve times, most recently yesterday through headphones while mowing my lawn. Lol. Awesome, Brad.

Last edited:
Brad, check and see if you can get my email activated. System says it went it but no replay email. Thanks. I'm trying the free section first, then would rather to a 3 or 6 month - one time payment as opposed to monthly, auto payments. Any chance that option will be coming as coolkayaker1 said?

I also received that email invitation. The Ukulele Way have not acknowledged as of yet however. Possibly still down from overload.

Not sure if what I looked at is representative but, for those who learn material by reading Tab, it looked to me like all the offerings are in standard notation.

Not sure if what I looked at is representative but, for those who learn material by reading Tab, it looked to me like all the offerings are in standard notation.

Yes. This follows the ukes in the classroom approach of teaching music literacy along with learning to play uke. The ukulele way method actually progresses the player a little quicker than the ukes in the classroom series, and you can choose to learn using reentrant tuning or linear (low g) tuning with each lesson. And if you get stuck in a lesson, there are folks who have gone through the certification process there to help.

Last edited:

He does mention in the Preface section under "Notation" that tablature is used, however it was the heavy use of standard notation that really drew me to the program. I have nothing against tab and use it frequently, but I'd like to be more proficient at sight-reading for the uke.

I got my invitation email yesterday morning and signed up for the free account to see what it looked like. By evening I had gotten a paid subscription. I'm not a huge fan of recurring payments either, but the default is through PayPal and you can stop it at anytime from your PayPal page if you're so inclined.

I think it looks like a great program and am excited to be a part of it. Like xyz said…it's like having small workshops with James Hill available.

Looks a great idea. Wish he had included tab takes me forever to figure out the notes when you are used to tab.

I thought the same thing, but this is a good chance for me to improve my notation skills.
Reading the notes in the staff really is not that difficult.

Once people have tried Brad and James's The Ukulele Way, could anyone familiar with UU Plus compare them, please.
i subscribe for a few months it is very outdated compared to this. Aldrine done the lessons live years ago so quality is not very good. Also I do not think there are many updates.

Top Bottom