D'addario ukulele

Well, how about that!

I'm guessing you're referring to D'Angelico ukuleles. I found a page in what I think is Japanese, but I could well be wrong about that:

http://www.korg.co.jp/KID/dangelico/ukuleles/

For those who aren't familiar with the D'Angelico name, John D'Angelico is widely regarded as the premier builder of the archtop guitar, often known as the Stradavari of the Guitar. D'Angelico built out of a small shop on Kenmare Street in New York from the mid-1930's until the early 1960's. He worked mainly alone, although later took on an apprentice named Jimmy D'Aquisto, who became quite renowned in his own right. D'Angelico built only a few hundred guitars in his lifetime. His guitars are in such demand now that they commonly command prices of $25,000-50,000, and even higher for highly desirable models.

In the 1980's, D'Angelico's estate began licensing his name for production guitars. Several different builders have produced guitars in the D'Angelico style using D'Angelico's licensed name. The quality of these guitars runs from poor to pretty damn good, depending on who was building them. D'Angelico himself built only carved archtops, but the modern guitars often use pressed solid tops and laminated tops.

D'Angelico himself built only a couple of ukulele family instruments in his career, and they looked nothing like these. These new ukes are clearly an attempt to adapt D'Angelico's signature guitar styling to the ukulele. Unknown if they're any good, but they look cool. I hope to learn more!

index.jpg

Last edited:
Honoka & Azita on Facebook refered to it as D'addario New line of guitar & uke but it look a lot like d'angelico's.

Beautiful instruments! Especially the one on Honoka & Azita picture.

Last edited:
OMG the turquoise one is KICK a55!!!

Well, how about that!

I'm guessing you're referring to D'Angelico ukuleles. I found a page in what I think is Japanese, but I could well be wrong about that:

http://www.korg.co.jp/KID/dangelico/ukuleles/

For those who aren't familiar with the D'Angelico name, John D'Angelico is widely regarded as the premier builder of the archtop guitar, often known as the Stradavari of the Guitar. D'Angelico built out of a small shop on Kenmare Street in New York from the mid-1930's until the early 1960's. He worked mainly alone, although later took on an apprentice named Jimmy D'Aquisto, who became quite renowned in his own right. D'Angelico built only a few hundred guitars in his lifetime. His guitars are in such demand now that they commonly command prices of $25,000-50,000, and even higher for highly desirable models.

In the 1980's, D'Angelico's estate began licensing his name for production guitars. Several different builders have produced guitars in the D'Angelico style using D'Angelico's licensed name. The quality of these guitars runs from poor to pretty damn good, depending on who was building them. D'Angelico himself built only carved archtops, but the modern guitars often use pressed solid tops and laminated tops.

D'Angelico himself built only a couple of ukulele family instruments in his career, and they looked nothing like these. These new ukes are clearly an attempt to adapt D'Angelico's signature guitar styling to the ukulele. Unknown if they're any good, but they look cool. I hope to learn more!

index.jpg

Yeah, looks like D'Angelico. The archtops are pretty! They even have four-string tailpieces and bridges. ;)

Yeah, looks like D'Angelico. The archtops are pretty! They even have four-string tailpieces and bridges. ;)

OMG, they're adorable. I'm not loving the tone in the video, but he's using an awful lot of reverb...or room echo, or something...

Top Bottom