Uke with Poetry

peaceweaver3

Reaction score
Does anyone else recite poetry with uke accompaniment? And/or write about the uke? I don't think I've written anything uke-specific. But I do recite poems with uke accompaniment.

So, anyone want to share? Thought I'd post this here instead of Uke Talk because I hope you'll post links! :)

Hi, Crystal. It's me, Steve, your recent PM friend.

There is a young lady named Marieke who plays ukulele and specifically performs story-to-song. She did her thesis on story-to-song, in fact. She has many performance videos on youtube, and she even has a long video, thirty minutes or so, where she teaches the youtube audience the steps to turning a story to a song for ukulele (or any instrument). She's a kind and lovely person. I'll post a link and anyone who searches her video library can find the longer video from 2013.

Looking forward to poetry in music replies to your UU thread, Crystal.

http://youtu.be/I8PeRh4Vq_s

Last edited:
This is a spoken piece that I did with uke accompaniment. I wrote it for my dad in his final days, based on a childhood memory.

I got distracted, positively though, by Marieke's material and Story to Song project. She is doing great, community-building work. :)

Doug, what a touching, meaningful piece - thank you for sharing that!

French isn't my strong point, but I enjoyed those too.

Any others, please share away!

This is a Gary Snyder poem I set to music, and then added a little slideshow. It's one of those poems that doesn't rhyme, but I think it still kind of works as a song.

Beautiful!
Thank you so much for sharing....

It touched me In a deep way as I re-evaluate many of my concepts and ideas I held for most of my life, as I count down to surgery in 30 days to deal with prostate cancer. Time, and the relativity of our lifetime being such an interesting idea, or who anyone of us really is in the scheme of things, nature, life, time...

Thank you,
Ivan

This is a spoken piece that I did with uke accompaniment. I wrote it for my dad in his final days, based on a childhood memory.

Last edited:
DougF: Wow! That's deep stuff. Thank you.

Olarte: Let's pray that the surgeon carves out all of it, and that you will be forever fine. That's my prayer for you.

DougF: Wow! That's deep stuff. Thank you.

Olarte: Let's pray that the surgeon carves out all of it, and that you will be forever fine. That's my prayer for you.

Thank you both for sharing and for your prayers. Life is tough but it's the arts, poetry, music, and the human connection even between strangers that become friends that makes it all bearable...

Mahalo!
Ivan

Top Bottom