Myrtle and Moonspruce

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Most people go for the wildly variegated figure that is available in myrtle. I prefer the 'sap' colour and restrained figure. If you live in the US this is definitely a contender in 'the best value for money all round tonewood' stakes! Apart from being pretty and very easy to bend, it requires little or no grain-filling. I have another 40 sets of this stuff - very impressed with how it sounds also.

Aloha Pete, I really like your ukuleles!
I played Seeso's at UWC. Dreamy!
Keep up the great work!

Very beautiful instrument! I love the natural wood grains and coloring. I'm sure it sounds just as beautiful.

I'm not a builder, so I don't know the first thing about good woods to work with for building instruments. Lately I've been drooling over the instruments I've seen built with Tiger Myrtle, and today I found the ones that were built with Sassafras. Too many beautiful choices for the day that I can afford to have someone build a custom instrument for me.

Really nice ukulele, Pete. I like the 'moon' inlay in the head.

-Steve

That is a really beautiful ukulele. Myrtle is firewood here in Northern CA. I have no idea why so few mill it. It starts out beautiful and gets more beautiful as it ages.

That is really beautiful. The myrtle is great. Based on sound samples from Mya Moe (who use the wood a lot), I firmly believe that myrtle will someday be the mainland equivalent of Koa for ukes. One advantage that I value a lot is that it is so sustainable compared to koa.

Nice work!

Top Bottom