UAS strikes out of the blue

engravertom

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Up in town dropping of some finished engraving to ship back to the client. After leaving fedex, I see the pawn shop in the same parking lot. been meaning to stop... I walk in, not much to see, mostly nice coin displays, some computer stuff. They ask "looking for anything in particular?" I say, "I was looking to see if you had any musical instruments, but it doesn't look like it." "Oh, we have some in the back. What kind of instrument?" "OH, ukuleles, or small guitars." "We have a Ukulele, what kind were you looking for? " A baritone or tenor."

So, the nice young man brings out a concert, a Lanikai. At first, I'm thinking, no, this is not what i am looking for. But, since parting with my longneck soprano by giving it to my daughter a few years back, i have been secretly wanting a concert scale again. I look it over, nice wood, this is not an entry level instrument. I forgot my phone, so no way to look it up. I am figuring this is a 200 - 250 instrument. I am thinking to myself, as the man is calculating what he wants for it, "if he says 100 it is going home." he says 120. I say, "OK". It sounds nice and pretty loud, so i figure i can't get killed on this deal. It still has the ubiquitous big box store leather hanging strap on it. I pay for it, head out to the car, and drive the 20 minutes home, a content, happy camper.

It is a Lanikai CGCGC, apparently made for the big box 6 stringed instrument company. It looks like they sell for 249.99 in a few places on the net. It seems to be laminate KOA from the descriptions on the net, or some kind of Acacia at least, I guess. very little wear, looks like Aquila strings. First Lanikai for me, and first new-to-me Uke in more than 2 years! (can that really be true?)

What's not to like?

:)

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal. :)

Most of my ukes have been acquired used by happenstance. It depends on what's out there and if/when I'm looking. If you're willing to overlook a ding or blemish/imperfection, you can find some great deals used or as "seconds."

Enjoy your Lanikai. If you haven't had a new-to-you uke in over two years, it was time. :p

I've bought four Lanikai referb ukes in this last (first) year of uke playing, really caught up in UAS. I got them for at least half price, average under $150 each of normally $250-$350. They needed some setup, but all sounded pretty good.

I recently traded in two plus an Oscar Schmidt for a very nice Kala cedar/koa, but I kept my first Lanikai purchase, quilted ash (of which I replaced the ill conceived Fishman Sonicore sound hole preamp with a Fishman Isis+ preamp/tuner I installed in the side panel where I prefer).

Last edited:
"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" I'm actually biding my time for a scorching case of UAS that will only be cured by a Blackbird Clara, low G, with a passive endpin pickup. Yep. I can feel it coming...

You got a great deal. Hope you really enjoy it!

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" I'm actually biding my time for a scorching case of UAS that will only be cured by a Blackbird Clara, low G, with a passive endpin pickup. Yep. I can feel it coming...

You got a great deal. Hope you really enjoy it!

I want one too, but not badly enough to actually save up and wait for it. So no go but that's ok. :eek:

Congrats on the new uke, it really is amazing the deals that come up! Hope you enjoy it!

Top Bottom