cordoba concert uke at best buy

iamesperambient

Reaction score
I meant to post about this last week. I was at best buy with a friend looking to buy a new external HD for my computer. Anyway they had a small section with guitar strings and some cheapo guitars and low and behold there was a 60 dollar lami (really really cheapo looking wood on this guy) cordoba concert. I actually took it out of the box and tuned it up (yup i carry my clip on in my pocket) and it actually played decently. Just wondering if anyone else saw these for sale in other stores i was not aware cordoba made such super super cheapo instruments like this one. So far all the cordobas i have played i have overall been unimpressed with, this actually sounded better than the cutaway tenor acoustic-electric i tried at sam ash which was around 200 bucks. (it was ugly looked like trailer park fake wood paneling and sounded dead) this one actually for a cheapo sounded decent almost like a lanikai lu21c.

I saw a few laminate Cordobas at my local stores in AUS but the prices here are usually around the 100 range and it doesn't play as well as the price goes. Though, if you were to add an extra 100, you can actually get the solid top mahogany version Cordoba concert on HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-20cm-mahogany-concert.html) which has good reviews.

the cordoba guitalele is most interesting there for 59usd.

My daughter has that uke. It has a slight buzzing on the A string, but a simple setup should solve that. It plays as well as any other entry level uke I have played.

Cordoba has 2 low end laminate concert ukes: one which is very much a starter uke (and which is probably the one that the OP saw at Best Buy), and the 15cm, which costs only a few dollars more. Aaron from HMS is a big fan of he 15cm: http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-15cm-mahogany-concert.html

this one looks nice actually.
i believ this is the one i played at best buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cordoba...ural/4875633.p?id=1218562659850&skuId=4875633

it looks much nicer in the photo, in real life it looks very cheap but honestly sounded good.

the cordoba guitalele is most interesting there for 59usd.

the only guitarele i have tried was the yamaha and honestly i couldn't get it to stay in tune
i wasn't into it but it could have just been a dud i played. I know luna makes a baritone sized one
and a few others. I'd like to check out a guitarele at some point especially if i could tune it like a guitar
so when i jam with guitarists i can blend in, than if i jam with uke players go back to the uke style tuning
but get in that extra few notes too. At first I wasn't a fan of the guitarele but after hearing some people here
play them i really want to give it a chance especially a baritone sized one.

http://www.lunaguitars.com/acousticproduct/uketattoo6string.php
Has anyone tried? from the way its advertised it looks like its just a mini sized
guitar it doesn't mentioned how its supposed to be tuned does anyone know?

Cordoba has 2 low end laminate concert ukes: one which is very much a starter uke (and which is probably the one that the OP saw at Best Buy), and the 15cm, which costs only a few dollars more. Aaron from HMS is a big fan of he 15cm: http://www.theukulelesite.com/cordoba-15cm-mahogany-concert.html

The 10cm is the only one I have seen at the Best Buys around Michigan and is all laminate. That was the first uke I bought and then realized I wanted a better sound so I gave it to my daughter. I then attempted to buy a 15cm, but could not find an undamaged one. The difference is the 15cm has a solid top and the rest is laminate. The solid top should give better sound, but I was never able to play one to really find out. I ended up buying a Cordoba 25cm and really like it. There is a big difference in sound between it and the laminates.

I'd like to check out a guitarele at some point especially if i could tune it like a guitar
so when i jam with guitarists i can blend in, than if i jam with uke players go back to the uke style tuning
but get in that extra few notes too.

There's this little thing called "scale length" which pretty much puts a limit on how you tune instruments. To get playable tensions you'd need to swap nuts and strings. Otherwise you'd have to live with the equivalent playing wet noodles in guitar mode.

I actually own the Cordoba UP-100, which was my first uke. I paid $100 for it at Sam Ash, then a week later found it at Best Buy for $80.

I beleive in saving money, but I'd never buy a uke from Best Buy....and I'm not too excited about buying one from Sam Ash either, although I did once....I kinda regretted it. Better stick with our loyal vendors on UU....IMHO...

I beleive in saving money, but I'd never buy a uke from Best Buy....and I'm not too excited about buying one from Sam Ash either, although I did once....I kinda regretted it. Better stick with our loyal vendors on UU....IMHO...

i bought my martin and sam ash and my new kala the best ukes i ever owned. I think for a beginner this cordoba is a decent uke honestly.

I'm pretty sure that the 15cm is a laminate, also, but it is probably a little more carefully put together than the 10cm. I've heard great things about the 25ck. Has anyone compared it to the mahogany-top 20cm?

Top Bottom