BLOWIN IN THE WIND - Clawhammer Baritone.

That is just gorgeous Ken. Very well played.

I just got a baritone and have no idea where to begin. What would you recommend to get started? I have plenty of knowledge about uke and soprano, just never played baritone. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

I just got a baritone and have no idea where to begin. What would you recommend to get started? I have plenty of knowledge about uke and soprano, just never played baritone. Any insight would be great. Thanks.

Do you mean playing clawhammer on the baritone? If so, get a re-entrant 4th string (high D). Watch all the clawhammer videos by Aaron Keim, Richard Heffner and LilRev. They all play tenor, but the chords are the same, only the names change.

If you just want to play baritone in all styles, first decide whether you want high 4th string or low 4th. I nearly always use high D, but most people seem to prefer low 4th on baritone. Most new baritones are sold with low D, whilst most new tenors have a high 4th.

Which 4th string you have will determine to a certain extent how you play, particularly when picking. Not so important for strumming.

The secret is, just treat it like a regular ukulele. Remember only the names of the notes change. Never thing of of a baritone uke as being like a guitar, otherwise it will just sound like a toy guitar.

When I play any uke, and I use lots of different tunings, I almost never think about what chords I am playing. Think more in terms of what works with what, which shape follows another.

Hope this helps.

...Just basic clawhammer. Thanks.

There was nothing basic about that, you scoundrel! :) The technique may be "basic" (though it's well beyond me) but the timing was flawless. Every time I've tried to play clawhammer something about the timing trips me up...and I play fairly decent bass so I should be a wizard at timing, right?

Anyway, that was beautiful. It's the kind of thing I do a lot just sitting wait for a server upload or what have you...except yours is actually worth listening to!

John

Top Bottom