lemon oil

Yes, I have used that on oil-finished ukes. It is even recommend & supplied by Mya-Moe for their oil finish ukes.

While I wouldn't use it a gloss uke (use Virtuoso polish), but it shouldn't hurt.

Yes, very sparingly, use less than you think you need.

:agree: On oil finished body only. VERY less indeed. 2~3 drops on a cloth to wipe for each side (top, back, two sides, fretboard, neck & headstock), then wipe off with clear cloth. Done;)

I would not use on a gloss finished instrument. It will just make a mess.

Use on oil finishes only, like Mya Moe.

hi all is it ok to polish the body of my uke in lemon oil ???

No, because it is not a good polish and it is allergic. It can be a used in removing very bad smell when mixed with for instance some other oil as Almond oil. However be very spare with the lemon oil due to its allergic effects.

Regards

I love it for my fretboards, when I don't have any fretboard butter....

i recently did a bit of research on lemon oil, and found that a lot of major brands have some icky additives such as waxes and silicone and other nasties so look out. I know everybody has a brand they like, and most recommend using sparingly (which i very much agree with) i have recently joined the movement of using really basic stuff, namely linseed oil (not boiled linseed oil! very important!) and my personal favorite mineral oil. my advice, google peoples oil/conditioner choices (90% of people will just say Guitar Honey or Fret Doctor, they are crazy popular lem oil alternatives) and look at the rational explanations (not the ive used product x for 35 years blah blah blah, a lot of people have smoked for 35 years without getting cancer, it doesnt make it smart) and pick something you like the idea of based off of that. and if you like the lem oil you are using, go for it, i don't wanna do anything more than say check it out just in case!

I've been using lemon oil, pure lemon oil but mixed with almond oil in an old wooden clarinet. The reason for this was that the instrument, as well as the case, smelled heavily and I wanted to get rid of the smell.
I know there was a fine Swedish guitar maker (Georg Bohlin) who recommended to use only paraffin oil (not kerosene, that I get in translation). Just a drop or two of the fat oil rubbed into the fretboard with finest steel wool 1000 along the fibers of the wood.
I know lemon oil is sold as fretboard treat. But I've never tried it. The paraffin oil has the done the thing for me through the years.

Cheers

Mya Moe is a Tru-oil finish so lemon oil works well (Chem 101: like dissolves like).
http://www.amazon.com/Weiman-Lemon-...UTF8&qid=1406734902&sr=8-6&keywords=lemon+oil
That is the one I used with no ill effects (despite the sunscreen additive; it has no silicone or other oils. One bottle should last me until my fingers become claws and I can no longer play).

I have tried lemon oil on my gloss ukes, despite the wisdom of everyone. It made a horrific smeared mess that I spent 30 minute and plenty of elbow grease remediating (no actual harm). Everyone was right.

Last edited:
i recently did a bit of research on lemon oil, and found that a lot of major brands have some icky additives such as waxes and silicone and other nasties so look out. I know everybody has a brand they like, and most recommend using sparingly (which i very much agree with) i have recently joined the movement of using really basic stuff, namely linseed oil (not boiled linseed oil! very important!) and my personal favorite mineral oil. my advice, google peoples oil/conditioner choices (90% of people will just say Guitar Honey or Fret Doctor, they are crazy popular lem oil alternatives) and look at the rational explanations (not the ive used product x for 35 years blah blah blah, a lot of people have smoked for 35 years without getting cancer, it doesnt make it smart) and pick something you like the idea of based off of that. and if you like the lem oil you are using, go for it, i don't wanna do anything more than say check it out just in case!

I like Mineral Oil also and use it on alot of different things, cutting boards, knife handles pretty much anything that food comes in contact with. Its very cheap also.

Top Bottom