PDA

View Full Version : Interesting day. New strings.

Rllink
06-19-2014, 10:41 AM
Over the last week my C string has been going out of tune a lot. So I got to paying attention to it, and it was stretching up by where it goes into the tuner. The diameter of the string was actually getting smaller up there and I could see it. I thought about just playing with them until it broke, but I was constantly tuning it. I'm playing the stock strings, and it has only been a couple of months, so I thought they must be cheap to give it up that quickly. I bought a new set of Aquila Nygut strings and after practice today I put the new ones on. It went pretty well, and I got them all put in nice and neat. It wasn't too hard to do. It did take some care though. It probably took me half an hour all told, to get them on and get them tuned. I also sort of stretched them by hand a little and re-tuned them several times. Anyway, I'm anxious to see how it goes as they stretch and settle in. The stock strings would stay in tune for days at a time, and then they only needed a little tweak, except for that silly C string. I was really surprised how inexpensive those strings were. Anyway, another step in my ukulele education.

Ukejenny
06-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Sounds like you did a nice job, getting it done nicely in 30 minutes.

1931jim
06-19-2014, 02:13 PM
You mentioned the string was stretching where it goes in to the tuner. I would assume that you have already checked the nut slot and found it was OK and that you checked the new strings as they go through the nut also. Jim.

Rllink
06-19-2014, 02:55 PM
No, I did not. I didn't even think of that. At this point, I'm just going to let it go and see what happens, as I've already trimmed the strings. If it happens again though, I will be sure to check that. Thanks.

Rllink
06-20-2014, 05:51 AM
Another thing that might go along with that particular string was only wrapped around the tuner a couple of times. The rest of them were wrapped around several times more. I put more wraps on it, leaving a little space at the bottom so that it had room for stretch and wouldn't go down against the little plastic washer. But I kind of wondered if the lack of wraps had something to do with it, because there shouldn't be that much pull up there where it goes through.

1931jim
06-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Hello Rlink,
Always make sure the string slides freely through the respective groove or slot in the nut whenever you are changing to a different brand just in case of different diameters. I know the low G for the Aquila Reds (88U) for tenor is .039 inch and I had to ease the groove in the nut for that low G string. Don't forget to angle the groove a wee bit towards the tuner to match the angle of the peghead. I hope that makes sense, my wife says I have a problem as I always think others can read my mind.
Regards
Jim

Rllink
06-26-2014, 03:53 AM
Hello Rlink,
Always make sure the string slides freely through the respective groove or slot in the nut whenever you are changing to a different brand just in case of different diameters. I know the low G for the Aquila Reds (88U) for tenor is .039 inch and I had to ease the groove in the nut for that low G string. Don't forget to angle the groove a wee bit towards the tuner to match the angle of the peghead. I hope that makes sense, my wife says I have a problem as I always think others can read my mind.
Regards
JimThank you for that advise Jim. I did not check the grooves when I put the strings on either, except to wipe them out with a clean rag, but after I read your post I did push on the strings above the nut and then watched to see if it went back into tune when I took the pressure off, and they seem to be sliding through the grooves quite freely. I put the strings on a week ago, and they have been steadily stretching out and staying in tune longer and longer. This morning I picked up the uke and just ran through the strings to check, and they were all still in tune from yesterday afternoon, so I'm guessing they are getting pretty set. I did buy two sets of strings, so I have a spare if anything doesn't work out. I thank you again for your advise and when I do change the strings again, I will most definitely check all of that out. For now, I think I lucked out and everything is good.