Five Foot Two

johnnyfoodstamp

Reaction score

For some reason the audio didn't come out so hot on this one. I think my mic might be crapping out. This was a quick take during practice and I neglected to set up the 4 track. Now I'm feelin' it. I may redo this. Turned out nice aside from that. Rats! It's always somethin'. lol

Bravo !!!! I enjoyed listening as much as you clearly enjoyed playing!! Who cares about quality when the content is this good!! Nice bit of right hand work too !

Audio wasn't that bad. You shouldn't say things like that - I can't stand staticky noisy tracks and I almost didn't click on the vid; I would have been the poorer for that. Yeah, not super audio but not by any means bad.

And the playing was great. I very much enjoyed this. I also enjoyed seeing how much you were enjoying playing. 'Tis what it's all about, my friend; letting the joy of our leedle geetars transport us to another place.

John

Sounds good, and super great playing!

Jfs, I think the sound is great. And I thank you for turning up the lights and moving the camera closer. . I truly enjoy watching your hands as you play. Outstanding!

Let me add that your playing truly exemplifies the differences in playing style of a tenor vs a soprano. Sometimes I see people saying a soprano fretboard is too small for them, yet many players of sops have normal or even larger hands. The soprano is a chorded, percussively strummed instrument, with some deft picking as you do in this song. It plays--not just sounds, but plays-- differently from a larger, longer stringed Ukuleke. Your playing is an example of that, johnnyfstamp. Love it.

Last edited:
Audio wasn't that bad. You shouldn't say things like that - I can't stand staticky noisy tracks and I almost didn't click on the vid; I would have been the poorer for that. Yeah, not super audio but not by any means bad.

And the playing was great. I very much enjoyed this. I also enjoyed seeing how much you were enjoying playing. 'Tis what it's all about, my friend; letting the joy of our leedle geetars transport us to another place.

John

Thanks for commenting. I agree. I hate when I read a disclaimer before a video about this or that. And sometimes it does discourage me from watching. But I'm glad you saw through all that and enjoyed the video! :)

That s** eating grin that Roy flashed at the camera wasn't on purpose. He was just enjoying himself! lol

Jfs, I think the sound is great. And I thank you for turning up the lights and moving the camera closer. . I truly enjoy watching your hands as you play. Outstanding!

Let me add that your playing truly exemplifies the differences in playing style of a tenor vs a soprano. Sometimes I see people saying a soprano fretboard is too small for them, yet many players of sops have normal or even larger hands. The soprano is a chorded, percussively strummed instrument, with some deft picking as you do in this song. It plays--not just sounds, but plays-- differently from a larger, longer stringed Ukuleke. Your playing is an example of that, johnnyfstamp. Love it.

I think that is about as good as my camera gets, mate. I'll try to do the same in the future! I'm over the olde- tyme effect in iMovie anyways. lol

Yeah, I've often said that there are at least 2 schools of uke. Hawaiian Classical and Humouresque Flourish. But the comparison between tenor and soprano didn't occur to me. Here I am - this 6 ft 2 construction worker with calloused hands too. I think it's a bonus when it comes to playing small. Less room to travel! :)

Very very cool...now you made me want to have a go ....a different way ..but a go lol..super strumming .great job.

That sounded great to me, it made it more like the old time sound. You've got them fan strums down pat, for the life of me I can't do it. Well done dude.

Quite often, sound quality is the least interesting part of a musical performance. Your playing transcends such minuscule obstacles. Easily.

I guess the reason I mentioned it is because I have been trying to be pickier in my videos as far as things like lighting, audio, camera angle, etc. Thank you for such a nice compliment though. My playing transcends shitty microphones!

Very very cool...now you made me want to have a go ....a different way ..but a go lol..super strumming .great job.

Thanks CeeJay The chords are:

intro
E7 Eb7 D7 C#7 C

main theme
F A7 D7 G7 C7 F C7
F A7 D7 G7 C7 F

next part

A7 D7 G7 C7

turnaround

F Eb Bb7 C7

ending

F A7 D7 G7 C7 G7 C7 G7 C7

F E F E F E F F7

That sounded great to me, it made it more like the old time sound. You've got them fan strums down pat, for the life of me I can't do it. Well done dude.

There's actually no fan in this video. The move I am doing in this video is what I call The Scrape. The other more noticeable move is what I call The Shuffle. Check out this tutorial video. The scrape is all downs with pinky, index, thumb. The Shuffle is a Scrape followed by 2 downbeats. It's all in this tutorial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozrVxAEPGk4 :)

Top Bottom