Surprise NUD! Pono MC Mahogany Concert

Vagrant

Reaction score
Well, me cup runneth over - not a week since I got my Bruko longneck soprano, my wife surprised me this morning with a Pono concert for our wedding anniversary!

In the note she said: "I know it was the one you've really wanted, but that you thought was too expensive... but you'll only end up spending the next year buying slightly cheaper ukuleles that won't be the one you want until you buckle and buy it anyway"

I think she might know me too well! Anyway, I'm so overwhelmed... it really is a cracking uke, as beautifully made as I hoped it would be, with a really lovely sound. It's so different to my Bruko (quieter, but with loads of tone... and quieter isn't so bad in a small home with two young kids when most of my practice is at night!).

There was also a really nice pod case, a set of Worth brown strings and a set Living Water strings (which I think I'm going to fit today).

It does mean I'm probably going to sell my longneck Bruko though, but with it's bone nut and saddle and lowered action I don't think I'll have trouble selling it on to someone who'll love it.

Right, I'm off to to play play play. My Pono rules, but my wife rules more!

1-IMG_3145.jpg
2-IMG_3146.jpg
3-IMG_3147.jpg

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary and on your new Pono!

The Bruko is lovely, though, and they do look like a very nice couple..........

Congrats.........I have one of those too. You should love those Living Waters strings on it. Those Worth Browns are pretty mellow and probably don't let that little concert "be all it can be." If you like the mellow mahogany sound, you can always go back to them. I prefer a slightly brighter string however and have Ko'olau Alohi's on mine. I doubt they differ much from the LW. I am thinking of trying some Fremont Blacks eventually. I know you will love your Pono. About as good as they get in that price range. It's my primary uke, at least until I get my Kanilea or an equivalent one. Good luck.

Sounds like you picked well on the Mrs. front. Hope you got her something special, too.

Enjoy your new uke!

Thank you! I'm definitely going to try the Living Waters first, I've read good things on here about them.

I feel very lucky today!

Congrats on the new uke and anniversary. I have the exact one and it's strung with Freemonts and just love it.

Congratulations. That's a lovely story. I got a Pono AS recently and love it. I can't believe how deep the tone is for a soprano. I've got Martin M600s on mine.

Well, me cup runneth over - not a week since I got my Bruko longneck soprano, my wife surprised me this morning with a Pono concert for our wedding anniversary!

In the note she said: "I know it was the one you've really wanted, but that you thought was too expensive... but you'll only end up spending the next year buying slightly cheaper ukuleles that won't be the one you want until you buckle and buy it anyway"

I think she might know me too well! Anyway, I'm so overwhelmed... it really is a cracking uke, as beautifully made as I hoped it would be, with a really lovely sound. It's so different to my Bruko (quieter, but with loads of tone... and quieter isn't so bad in a small home with two young kids when most of my practice is at night!).

There was also a really nice pod case, a set of Worth brown strings and a set Living Water strings (which I think I'm going to fit today).

It does mean I'm probably going to sell my longneck Bruko though, but with it's bone nut and saddle and lowered action I don't think I'll have trouble selling it on to someone who'll love it.

View attachment 68057
View attachment 68058
View attachment 68059
awesome ! really nice!

Congrats!! Ive been infatuated with the baritone model of this!!

View attachment 68057
View attachment 68058
View attachment 68059

You have one amazing wife!!!! Thats one sweet ukelele!!! Make a video playing it please! :D

That is wonderful! Congratulations on the anniversary and the new instrument! I think you need to keep both ukuleles!

Make a video playing it please! :D

Ha ha, not yet! I'm nowhere near good enough... when I'm brave enough I'll inflict myself on you all!

I think you need to keep both ukuleles!

I'm tempted to, but I also have a Bruko flat soprano which I'm smitten with... having a soprano, a concert AND the inbetweeny longneck seems a bit... decadent? Also I can't see it getting much use now as the Pono has really grabbed me!

Ha ha, not yet! I'm nowhere near good enough... when I'm brave enough I'll inflict myself on you all!
We don't bite, I promise. :)

... Also I can't see it getting much use now as the Pono has really grabbed me!

If there aren't immediate concerns where you need cash, I would wait a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks before deciding to sell it. Whenever I get an especially nice uke my immediate thought is "well, I can just sell all the others, now, they'll never get played." Funny thing is, they all get played, though a couple I probably wouldn't miss terribly if they were gone. When I got my Boat Paddle 5-string tenor I thought to myself, "John you should sell all your other tenors, they can't hold a candle to this." To a certain extent that was true. But then, I was recording a song where I really wanted a "purely low g" sound...so I whipped out the Mainland mango tenor because it was the right uke for that song.

John

nice uke! great wife!!!

If there aren't immediate concerns where you need cash, I would wait a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks before deciding to sell it. Whenever I get an especially nice uke my immediate thought is "well, I can just sell all the others, now, they'll never get played." Funny thing is, they all get played, though a couple I probably wouldn't miss terribly if they were gone. When I got my Boat Paddle 5-string tenor I thought to myself, "John you should sell all your other tenors, they can't hold a candle to this." To a certain extent that was true. But then, I was recording a song where I really wanted a "purely low g" sound...so I whipped out the Mainland mango tenor because it was the right uke for that song.

John

And for this reason he is called OldePhart - the man is wise!

If you upload to youtube you can set the video as private, which means no one see's it but people if you post it here. I do that because I am a bit embarrassed too. Everyone here is so supportive I wouldn't let that stop you!

Top Bottom