WTB: Tenor Uke in the $400-450 range. WHATCAH GOT? Looking for unusual.

rappsy

Reaction score
WTB ON HOLD: Tenor Uke in the $400-450 range. WHATCAH GOT? Looking for unusual.

<<<<<<I have decided to wait a bit and not get a new UKE now. When I am ready, I will repost. Thanks to the people who have already written me.>>>>>>

I just sold a UKE and the laws of UAS DEMAND I get another.

I am looking for a tenor scale UKE, but the body doesn't have to be a tenor body. Something like the Tiny Tenor may work, although I am open to anything.

I do know that I do not want Mahogany as the sound board wood. I have owned them and played them and I'm not a fan. I like it a bit brighter and a bit louder. I have a cedar top that I like the sound of and my flea has Living Water Strings which I also like.

I am open to suggestions and looking for something that you may want to part with that needs a new home. If you are on the fence about selling something, let me know.

Something out of the ordinary would also work. I have a flea that I really like so I am open to other shapes, but not the Fluke shape as I can't hold it very well.

Not interested in cigar boxes or bodies of unusual materials.

Please PM or post here so others can share in the thread.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Rappsy
I have a custom TENOR, solid KOA incl neck. I bought the wood on the Big Island, let it dry & had local luthier make it as well as some concerts that are for sale. KOA is beautiful. I want for tenor $475 plus shipping, no case but have a gig bag that I could sell with it. Photos if interested. The concerts I have are great also, must see those.
perep in Northwest

Okay, I don't want to screw up somebody's chance to make a sale here but I couldn't help but notice this plea in rappsy's sig...

SAVE ME FROM MYSELF!
I CAN"T PLAY MUCH YET BUT I HAVE UAS!

Here is a very serious suggestion. You can do with it what you please. Set a specific goal for progress as a player before you consider buying another instrument. This will save you money and heartache, and when you do make you're next purchase you'll have a more specific idea what you want, etc.

@Rappsy - you have at least two decent instruments, one concert and one tenor, right now. You do not need another ukulele to make you a better player, and the time and energy you are spending acquiring instruments is time and energy that would be better spent learning to play the ones you have. Furthermore, while I always recommend that people get the best instrument that they can afford because it will be easier to learn on and encourage them to practice more - blindly looking for a tenor in the range you are looking at is not going to qualify for that recommendation.

So, set yourself a goal, maybe learning to play, all the way through, at speed and without mistakes, ten songs. Maybe twenty. I'm not talking about fancy finger-picking but you should be able to make real music before you make another purchase.

Make your next purchase the reward for attaining that goal, and then stick to it; i.e. don't even consider buying another instrument until you reach the goal. Stay off the marketplace. Coming here when you are trying to withstand UAS is like an alcoholic standing at the bar all night to test his willpower!

With any luck, you will learn a lot in the process of reaching your goal, and your reward uke will be more likely to be something that will actually help you reach your next goal, and so on.

Free advice, and probably worth every penny. :)

John

Last edited:
post of the year.

thanks John

Okay, I don't want to screw up somebody's chance to make a sale here but I couldn't help but notice this plea in rappsy's sig...

Here is a very serious suggestion. You can do with it what you please. Set a specific goal for progress as a player before you consider buying another instrument. This will save you money and heartache, and when you do make you're next purchase you'll have a more specific idea what you want, etc.

@Rappsy - you have at least two decent instruments, one concert and one tenor, right now. You do not need another ukulele to make you a better player, and the time and energy you are spending acquiring instruments is time and energy that would be better spent learning to play the ones you have. Furthermore, while I always recommend that people get the best instrument that they can afford because it will be easier to learn on and encourage them to practice more - blindly looking for a tenor in the range you are looking at is not going to qualify for that recommendation.

So, set yourself a goal, maybe learning to play, all the way through, at speed and without mistakes, ten songs. Maybe twenty. I'm not talking about fancy finger-picking but you should be able to make real music before you make another purchase.

Make your next purchase the reward for attaining that goal, and then stick to it; i.e. don't even consider buying another instrument until you reach the goal. Stay off the marketplace. Coming here when you are trying to withstand UAS is like an alcoholic standing at the bar all night to test his willpower!

With any luck, you will learn a lot in the process of reaching your goal, and your reward uke will be more likely to be something that will actually help you reach your next goal, and so on.

John

John

Boy you are taking all the fun out of this UAS thingy. :(

Boy you are taking all the fun out of this UAS thingy. :(

Heh, heh. Sorry. There is nothing wrong with UAS, if you can afford it and if you are making decent progress as a player in tandem with your acquisitions. @Rappsy seems to be describing a situation where he's not really making sufficient progress as a ukulele user because the bug to acquire is in the driver's seat.

I knew of a guy that died in his 60's and left his widow with a collection of over 200 electric guitars, basses, and amplifiers to dispose of. He had never really learned to play more than the intros to a couple of rock songs, never played with others even informally, and the instruments weren't "collectible" instruments. In fact, with a couple of exceptions they were pretty mundane.

John

John

As the recipient of your message, I understand exactly what you are saying. UAS is a term that I found to be extremely amusing at first (hence the signature), and then once I started getting into it on these forums, I realized that it was very possible to develop the feeling of never being satisfied and always wanting something different, not necessarily better.

I am happy to say that I have never been a person who has developed these afflictions, but know people who have, not necessarily with UAS, but with other more powerful afflictions and if you will, addictions. I have always felt under control and still do. I know my limitations, and yes, my time would be better spent on practicing, but I also realize that much of my fun here is the buying and selling and the camaraderie of the crowd here at UU.

I know your sentiments are from the heart and I appreciate your real desire to see people improve and grow as players, and will take it that way. I agree that my time is not spent properly and that I should spend more time playing. That has, and is, providing me much joy and satisfaction. Hopefully, I will see a marked improvement in my playing as I spend more time practicing.

I appreciate the words, and will from time to time, let you know how I'm doing.

Lenny...

Though I agree with johm's thoughts about waiting. I'm selling a very nice tenor (sticker price was $999 without pickup) for just a little more than your budget. But I'm open to offers.

Was going to suggest that Mele in the marketplace

Top Bottom