Request for Peter Moon album recommendations

brimmer

Reaction score
If you've heard Guava Jam (who hasn't?), then you know Peter Moon's slack key guitar. He's also a great uke player. I just bought an MP3 album from 1969 that features Moon's uke work. I read about it at the Dancing Cat slack key site, in Gabby Pahinui's discography.

HAWAI'I'S FAVORITE SLACK KEY & STEEL GUITAR, VOL. 2 (Hula Records, 1969) Two songs, Kananaka and Ia'oe E Ka La, feature Peter Moon on slack key guitar instead of Gabby. On the other tracks where Peter doesn't play guitar, he's on uke, and he offers some brilliant solos. I find myself playing this album over and over. There's a lot of nice steel guitar, and overall its very sweet and mellow, much in the spirit of Gabby's classic 70s work but without vocals. Its much more traditional than the music Peter was making with Sunday Manoa around this time. Take a trip to Amazon or Itunes and hear some samples. Volume 1 is nice too, but on this one, the uke is played by the great Eddie Kamae, who only plays a few solos.

Does anyone else have some Peter Moon suggestions, that feature his uke playing? There are some great youtube videos of him playing uke.

"Cane Fire" by The Peter Moon Band is listed as one of the top 50 Hawaiian albums of all time.

Last edited:
I agree with the above recommendation. it doesn't get much better than Cane Fire. I liked him best with the Peter Moon Band. Also check out Black Orchid, Maile or his Best Of CDs. You've got good taste.
For those not familiar, you can preview some of his music here:
http://www.allmusic.com/album/cane-fire-mw0000120518
BTW, Brad (aka: hippieguy) has the music for Pandanus on his website (liveuke.com). Good luck with that one!

+1 for Cane Fire.

Tropical Storm has Island Love.

Friend of mine met him on a beach in Kauai and they sat and talked for a long while. Very friendly and kind.

Get Guava Jam by Sunday Manoa. He is in that. I learned the Ka'au Crater Boys version of Guava Jam. Sunday Manoa had the original. Aldrine turned me on to them.

I just listened to Pua Lilia on Sunday Manoa's classic album Cracked Seed. Peter's ukulele solo may be the most perfect I've ever heard. What a musician - an inspiration for the rest of us...

This made me curious so I looked it up. He made like 14 albums with PMB (according to Wikipedia...)! I had no idea. You only hear of the ones mentioned here and maybe Oasis and Iron Mango. I should really just buy them all. The guy was the best. If you can only get one make it Cane Fire. Every song is kickin'.

BTW, does anybody have his video? I know there are a couple tunes from it on YT, but I've never seen the whole thing.

This made me curious so I looked it up. He made like 14 albums with PMB (according to Wikipedia...)! I had no idea. You only hear of the ones mentioned here and maybe Oasis and Iron Mango. I should really just buy them all. The guy was the best. If you can only get one make it Cane Fire. Every song is kickin'.

BTW, does anybody have his video? I know there are a couple tunes from it on YT, but I've never seen the whole thing.

Yes, I bought his video about 10 years ago. Only thing is, it's on VHS. It's pretty basic stuff though.

I don't think any of these recordings are physically available, however you may find them used (through Amazon or eBay) or available digitally thru iTunes(?). My favorite albums are the Sunday Manoa discs (first 3), Tropical Storm, Cane Fire and Malie.

1969 Guava Jam
1972 Crack Seed
1973 Sunday Manoa 3
1979 Tropical Storm
1980 Malie
1981 Best of the Peter Moon Band
1982 Cane Fire
1983 Harbor Lights
1984 Spirit Lover
1986 Chinatown
1986 Greatest Hits Collection I
1988 The Guitar Man
1988 Black Orchid
1989 Full Moon
1990 The Music Makers
1991 Heat Wave
1991 Malie (Reissue)
1992 Midnight Sun
1993 Oasis
1994 Iron Mango
1994 Backbone
1996 The Path
1999 Greatest Hits Collection II (1988–1998)

I found Iron Mango at Hawi Gallery this weekend. Kind of a disappointment. I don't know if it was just the end of his era or what. It was really scattered and the timing seemed pretty spotty. There are a couple good tunes, but not worth the money.

Because someone asked, the album with Peter Moon that I mentioned at the start of this thread (HAWAI'I'S FAVORITE SLACK KEY & STEEL GUITAR, VOL. 2) was issued under the group's name, the Maile Serenaders. They seem to have been a house band for Hula Records in the 60s. In addition to Peter Moon, they included Gabby Pahinui, Atta Isaacs, Eddie Kamae, Feets Rogers, and Barney Isaacs. You can find their albums at mele.com on CD, or at Amazon in mp3 format. Just search the group's name and you'll find their albums. All are nice. Vol 1 has some great uke by Eddie Kamae. No one can play a tremolo like Eddie Kamae...

Last edited:
Top Bottom