PDA

View Full Version : Never Too Old

Steveperrywriter
06-21-2014, 08:42 AM
I thought some of you might like this:

http://www.kgw.com/news/editors-picks/At-92-Gresham-man-starts-making-ukuleles-256612401.html

If you don't click on links, the basic story is about a local man (Gresham, OR, who is still making ukuleles at the age of 97 ...

Jim Hanks
06-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Great story. He's made 23 ukes since he was 92! And only sold half of them. I'm tempted to call.

BillM
06-21-2014, 10:01 AM
Steve,

Have you seen any of his ukuleles in person? What a great story!

Bill

Steveperrywriter
06-21-2014, 10:45 AM
BillM --

I haven't -- my wife came across this and pointed out the link. She and I are always talking about not getting into an old state-of-mind, and any time we find somebody in their nineties still doing stuff other than holding down a couch, we nod and look at 'em as a good example. Her yoga teacher's teacher is in her nineties and still going strong; the basement jam group where I play now and again, half the people are over eighty, and the youngest is about sixty.

Last week was the first time I'd ever stood up in front of a microphone in a bar to lead a song in an electric blues jam, and two weeks before that, the first time I'd done it acoustically. Scary, but what's the worst that can happen? They don't lynch folks for hitting clams ...

Not here, anyway. Might check your local laws ...

Jim Hanks
06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Hey Steve, I think you "owe" it to UU to go check out the Meloy ukes and report back. :D

ksquine
06-23-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm guessing he doesn't offer a long warranty period for his ukes :rolleyes:

Steveperrywriter
06-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Probably could offer a lifetime warranty ...

His lifetime ...